Movie No Time to Die - Bond 25

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
I agree and I think Nolan (and likely Villeneuve) agree as well, hence him saying he would only come in to totally overhaul it. He sugarcoated it at the end, but I definitely took it to mean “I’m not going to try to fix the mess you’ve made.”

Spectre was complete shit, but I didn’t even like Skyfall that much. Craig is 1 for 4 as far as I’m concerned and is the worst Bond overall.
You don't remember the guy that played bond before Bronson then. Him going down a ski slope in a cello case or his delaureon that had skis....those were horrid

LiddyRules

Regional Sales Rep for Fontaine Fish Finder
I haven’t seen Insomnia in a really long time, so I left it open for someone to say that is his worst. I don’t think his first film should count because it was like a student film or something right?
Following is actually really good as a low budget crime film. Discounting it is like discounting Pi or Clerks. I'd go Insomnia for worst.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
The cast is not the issue. It's the vibe of the Craig era that is. If they wanted to throw that out and reboot it entirely, they could, but I don't see the point.
And the testament to those filmmakers is their other work, not them doing a tired Bond movie with a tired lead.
And that's where you've essentially made my point. The point being it would be an ego move for them to direct this, and start that different vibe. Then walk away with a heightened stature and more prospects. Still, Sam Mendes may have thought the same. There's a risk in it, but I could see it happen.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
Following is actually really good as a low budget crime film. Discounting it is like discounting Pi or Clerks. I'd go Insomnia for worst.
Pi is so great.

Does Insomnia not hold up? Maybe I need to rewatch it.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator
Did you guys ever watch the documentary about the history of James Bond franchise, Everything or Nothing? I saw it a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was pretty good. The reaction to Craig being named the new Bond in a pre-Twitter/Facebook era was hilarious.

I thought the Timothy Dalton not getting a chance to do a third film was an interesting argument.

I haven’t seen Insomnia in a really long time, so I left it open for someone to say that is his worst. I don’t think his first film should count because it was like a student film or something right?
I have ranked Insomina as his "worst" film. I'm trying to look up how I ranked all of his movies before.

Last edited:

LiddyRules

And that's where you've essentially made my point. The point being it would be an ego move for them to direct this, and start that different vibe. Then walk away with a heightened stature and more prospects. Still, Sam Mendes may have thought the same. There's a risk in it, but I could see it happen.
But why would they need this ego boost? Knowing that odds are it will all be scrapped the next go around because Craig wants out? Or mess so strongly with the success of what works with Craig? What's the point? Who gains? Do you just want more Craig?

Sam Mendes didn't restart everything. His movies fit the tone established by CR and QoS. These other directors won't want to do that.

Pi is so great.

Does Insomnia not hold up? Maybe I need to rewatch it.
I remember it being very generic. Not bad, just generic. Maybe I need to see it again.

LiddyRules

Did you guys ever watch the documentary about the history of James Bond franchise, Everything or Nothing? I saw it a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was pretty good. The reaction to Craig being named the new Bond in a pre-Twitter/Facebook era was hilarious.

I thought the Timothy Dalton not getting a chance to do a third film was an interesting argument.

I have ranked Insomina as his "worst" film. I'm trying to look up how I ranked all of his movies before.
Never saw it, but I do also think Dalton was hindered by a few other things.

1) Moore being Bond for so long (though I think Craig technically might be it longer)
2) The end of the Cold War
3) The rise of R rated action movies and Bond's inability to go there. I think a lot of the top, demo appropriate action movies of the mid to late 80s were R rated - Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Commando, Cobra - and Bond played it too safe. It's understandable why they did that, but you can also see why it hurt.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
But why would they need this ego boost? Knowing that odds are it will all be scrapped the next go around because Craig wants out? Or mess so strongly with the success of what works with Craig? What's the point? Who gains? Do you just want more Craig?
You keep speaking in terms of franchise, while I keep speaking of individual films. As for ego, maybe I should have said professional advancement, or posturing. Just for example, for Villeneuve, he might be tempted by raising his stature as a box office director after BR didn't bank.

To draw a parallel that maybe easier to understand, let's compare it to Ragnarok. What I'm saying is that a director might be able to take the standing cast and do something different which could invigorate the franchise, by not focusing on it. Whether they would get that opportunity is questionable, but we're speaking of directors who would have a better shot that most. I just think it could work.

Not actually a fan of Craig, myself.

Sam Mendes didn't restart everything. His movies fit the tone established by CR and QoS. These other directors won't want to do that.
Never said he did, and never said someone needs to. Oh, he may have gone in under those restrictions, but I wonder if he was told he'd have a freer hand. I used him as an example of a director who may have failed in the effort I'm describing.

Opie&JimmyShow

Donator
What are the chances that they follow the path carved by Dr. Who and choose a female Bond? Perhaps a black lebsian Bond???
It would have to be a Black/Muslim lesbian transgender. That will hit all the diversity requirements.

3) The rise of R rated action movies and Bond's inability to go there. I think a lot of the top, demo appropriate action movies of the mid to late 80s were R rated - Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Commando, Cobra - and Bond played it too safe. It's understandable why they did that, but you can also see why it hurt.
Tangentially related but also that Bond was still seen as a 1960's relic shoehorned into 1980-90's adventures. He was your father's action hero and definitely lost some coolness, at least until Pierce and Goldeneye rebooted Bond for the 1990's

LiddyRules

Tangentially related but also that Bond was still seen as a 1960's relic shoehorned into 1980-90's adventures. He was your father's action hero and definitely lost some coolness, at least until Pierce and Goldeneye rebooted Bond for the 1990's
Then Austin Powers #YeahBabyYeahShagadelicMyWife made it lame again, but Bond didn't try to stop the tailspin; it turned into it. Was there a good/cool Brosbond after GoldenEye?

The Craig made it cool again by aping the Bourne movies. But those have lost their luster, so his reign will suffer going forward and has with Spectre.

I liked what Mr. Sunday said about their next template being Kingsman because it's part spy part superhero, our current action subgenre du jour. But by the time the post-Craig movie comes out, will they be behind the 8 ball?

I'd like to see Bond go back to some of its more sci-fiy aspects/aesthetics, like in Dr. No and The Spy Who Loved Me.

Was there a good/cool Brosbond after GoldenEye?
Out of his four, the low point (for me) was probably "The world is not enough". I thought the other 3 were acceptable, definitely better than Dalton's movies

I think Goldeneye the movie was also boosted greatly by Goldeneye the game which is still considered one of the greatest FPS's in video game history.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Danny Boyle is said to be the new front runner for Bond 25.

Pigdango

Donator
Who'd you rather see as a Bond villain: McGregor, McAvoy, or Fassbender?
Good question. Fassbender surprisingly hasn't played that many villains in his career, and the one that he did is some of his best work. I think a low-key performance like he would bring would be a good fit for Craig's Bond, but at the same time I almost don't want to waste him on a throw away "I have to do this because contract" movie. So I'll go the surprise route and say McGregor, even though he probably can't do it because he's wasting his time making another Star Wars movie.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Good question. Fassbender surprisingly hasn't played that many villains in his career, and the one that he did is some of his best work. I think a low-key performance like he would bring would be a good fit for Craig's Bond, but at the same time I almost don't want to waste him on a throw away "I have to do this because contract" movie. So I'll go the surprise route and say McGregor, even though he probably can't do it because he's wasting his time making another Star Wars movie.
He's got plenty of time on his hands.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator
Who'd you rather see as a Bond villain: McGregor, McAvoy, or Fassbender?
What @Pigdango said. Although I think if you're any one of those guys and they come calling, you have to think real hard before you say yes. It could be the first, last, and only time that you will be in a Bond film.

LiddyRules

I'm wondering it too. Fassbender seems the obvious because he really should play more villains but 1) I really want to see him to a genuinely great movie again and I wouldn't want him trapped in another franchise and 2) would quiet, suave villain be too close to Le Chiffe, Blofeld (to some extent), or even Traditional Bond in a way?

McAvoy might be interesting as a more wiry and wild villain. (I still haven't seen Split, but I liked him in Atomic Blonde.)

I can't get a good read on what McGregor can do, probably because he hasn't been around as much as the other two, which might make him the most interesting option.

I guess it also depends on what type of villain they want:

1) Organization Criminal Mastermind (e.g. Blofeld and the SPECTRE lieutenants)
2) Lone Criminal Mastermind (e.g. The Spy Who Loved Me, Goldfinger)
3) Topical-ish? (e.g. Jonathan Pryce as Rupert Murdoch in the Jonathan Pryce Villain movie, Walken as computer baron(?) in View to a Kill, Robert Davi as NARCOS in License to Kill)
4) Spy Gone Mad (e.g. Goldeneye, Skyfall)
5) So Horribly Racist (e.g. Live and Let Die)

I really wish they hadn't botched Spectre so badly. But I wouldn't be opposed to a new actor playing Blofeld every time like they did in the long long ago.

Another problem is that Spectre tried to walk the line between Moore's over-the-topness and Craig's broodiness with all the grace of a clubfooted drunk so I don't know what they want.

What @Pigdango said. Although I think if you're any one of those guys and they come calling, you have to think real hard before you say yes. It could be the first, last, and only time that you will be in a Bond film.
I think they'd be fine with it. I don't think any of them would want to dedicate the next 10 years of their life to Bond (well maybe McGregor), and there's so many franchises now that it's not like 007 is overly important. Plus there's always the possibility of a new recurring villain now that they shit the bed with Blofeld.

Pigdango

Donator
The behind the scenes stuff on Bond movies is sometimes more interesting than the movies themselves:

https://deadline.com/2018/02/james-...en-elizabeth-ii-mgm-trainspotting-1202298157/

The gist of it is - Boyle came to the Bond team with a pitch. They liked it enough to enlist Boyle and John Hodge to write a script. If they like it, Boyle will direct. If not, he will walk away.

HOWEVER - They already have a script from the guys who wrote all the Craig movies except Quantum of Solace, and if they don't like the Boyle/Hodge script, they will go back to this one and hire either Denis Villenueve, (assuming he's given up on Dune by that point), Yann Demange, or Hell or High Water's David McKenzie.

LiddyRules

The behind the scenes stuff on Bond movies is sometimes more interesting than the movies themselves:

https://deadline.com/2018/02/james-...en-elizabeth-ii-mgm-trainspotting-1202298157/

The gist of it is - Boyle came to the Bond team with a pitch. They liked it enough to enlist Boyle and John Hodge to write a script. If they like it, Boyle will direct. If not, he will walk away.

HOWEVER - They already have a script from the guys who wrote all the Craig movies except Quantum of Solace, and if they don't like the Boyle/Hodge script, they will go back to this one and hire either Denis Villenueve, (assuming he's given up on Dune by that point), Yann Demange, or Hell or High Water's David McKenzie.
Sight unseen I want them to do the Boyle script.

So I guess the question now is - what do you want from this Bond? Assuming it's Craig's last go around, what would you want to see? A stand-alone? An end to his incarnation of Spectre?

I don't want every new future Bond to be part of a complete reboot where we have the first one introducing them and their entire gang and starting their own storyline, which will probably be the same as Craig's storyline. I'd much rather a return to the more episodic nature of Bond. But what would you want to see from this one? And it can even be which in my villain list do you want to see most?

One thing I don't want is to have a "Replacement" Bond movie where they acknowledge that this guy is replacing Craig. I'd think Regeneration Bond would be less horrible than that.