Movie No Time to Die - Bond 25

LiddyRules

Regional Sales Rep for Fontaine Fish Finder
Outside of the Connery films, and maybe a couple of Moore's like Spy Who Loved Me, how many Bond films had strong visuals? And Connery's might just look good to me because I really dig the 1960s sci-fi aesthetic.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator
Outside of the Connery films, and maybe a couple of Moore's like Spy Who Loved Me, how many Bond films had strong visuals? And Connery's might just look good to me because I really dig the 1960s sci-fi aesthetic.
Along with Connery's films, Goldeneye maybe.

LiddyRules

Photocopies are art.
Part of me wonders if I've built up (torn down?) Spectre so much that in my mind it's worse than it actually is, but the idea of actually rewatching it seems insurmountable. I tried to do that with Apocalypse and only made it an hour. And only made it that far by unintentionally checking out for a half hour. And Apocalypse is better than Spectre. I don't even want to HitW it because I know we'll just lose interest. Maybe lazy weekend where I have a project to occupy most of my attention and keep it on in the background?

They really shouldn't have brought back Craig. He's checked out, and people are already clamoring for who the next Bond will be. His final film was among the worst 007s ever, but it gave his story a reasonable end point. Did they bring him back for international audiences? I wonder if trying with Craig again will end up putting Bond on ice long enough that favorites like Elba, Hiddleston, and Hardy will be deemed too old for a reboot. Or maybe with losing a director, they'll Spider-Man 4 it and end the Craig run.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Part of me wonders if I've built up (torn down?) Spectre so much that in my mind it's worse than it actually is, but the idea of actually rewatching it seems insurmountable. I tried to do that with Apocalypse and only made it an hour. And only made it that far by unintentionally checking out for a half hour. And Apocalypse is better than Spectre. I don't even want to HitW it because I know we'll just lose interest. Maybe lazy weekend where I have a project to occupy most of my attention and keep it on in the background?

They really shouldn't have brought back Craig. He's checked out, and people are already clamoring for who the next Bond will be. His final film was among the worst 007s ever, but it gave his story a reasonable end point. Did they bring him back for international audiences? I wonder if trying with Craig again will end up putting Bond on ice long enough that favorites like Elba, Hiddleston, and Hardy will be deemed too old for a reboot. Or maybe with losing a director, they'll Spider-Man 4 it and end the Craig run.
Spectre was really bad. I wouldn’t push it for a HitW because I don’t care, but it would make for a pretty good one.

I agree they shouldn’t have brought Craig back. I think they did it because they are hoping all this Bond of gender color stuff just goes away so they can hire Henry, Hiddy or Hardy. Not happening. Elba is too old, so who does that leave? I feel like Bond has to be British.

Daniel Kaluuya?
John Boyega?

LiddyRules

Spectre was really bad. I wouldn’t push it for a HitW because I don’t care, but it would make for a pretty good one.

I agree they shouldn’t have brought Craig back. I think they did it because they are hoping all this Bond of gender color stuff just goes away so they can hire Henry, Hiddy or Hardy. Not happening. Elba is too old, so who does that leave? I feel like Bond has to be British.

Daniel Kaluuya?
John Boyega?
Well if you want to try to HitW it, I'll be willing to try to HitW it.

Who's the black guy who's not Black Panther but kind of Black Panther? I think he's Doctor Strange's black friend.

Pigdango

Donator
Well if you want to try to HitW it, I'll be willing to try to HitW it.

Who's the black guy who's not Black Panther but kind of Black Panther? I think he's Doctor Strange's black friend.
Chiwetel Ejiofor? Feels like he’s too old?

mascan42

Actually, he's only 41, it only feels like he's been around forever.

And all of this Idris Elba speculation is silly. He's not only too old, he's not really an action guy. The closest he gets is pummeling suspects on Luther.

LiddyRules

He's 41. Hardy is 40. Regardless, we have to wait another 5 years for a new Bond (not unreasonable amount of time), none of these people will be in contention. If they want to go white and young - Baby Driver? Kingsman Hood? Quicksilver O'Kickass?

And as for HitW, I am totally up for it just to see how it goes, but I remember about an hour of it is a trolley chase followed by an Airplane/Snowmobile chase followed by a car chase straight.

I also remember a hotel where they have to find a hidden door, and it might as well have been marked "hidden door."

Oh right, this was also the one where Blofeld had a machine that was very very very slowly meant to make James Bond blind with memory problems. Christ there's a lot of nonsense in that movie.

LiddyRules

Actually, he's only 41, it only feels like he's been around forever.

And all of this Idris Elba speculation is silly. He's not only too old, he's not really an action guy. The closest he gets is pummeling suspects on Luther.
He's going to be fighting The Rock and Statham in their Fast Furious spinoff.

But Bond doesn't necessarily need to be an action guy. I think it would be interesting to do the more spy-y Bond as opposed to the crash through walls like an android Bond that Craig is. Though honestly, I'd like to see Bond return to its more sci-fi roots. However, I think trying to do a 1960s-prequel is a bad idea. (I mean, personally I'd love it. But I'd love it. So don't do it.)

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
He's going to be fighting The Rock and Statham in their Fast Furious spinoff.

But Bond doesn't necessarily need to be an action guy. I think it would be interesting to do the more spy-y Bond as opposed to the crash through walls like an android Bond that Craig is. Though honestly, I'd like to see Bond return to its more sci-fi roots. However, I think trying to do a 1960s-prequel is a bad idea. (I mean, personally I'd love it. But I'd love it. So don't do it.)
A Bond, sci-fi period piece would be the tits. I'd love that.

LiddyRules

A Bond, sci-fi period piece would be the tits. I'd love that.
Further showing why they shouldn't...

The problem is you can't do a modern sci-fi James Bond because we already live in a sci-fi world, except it's kind of boring. So any feasible next level sci-fi would be even more boring. There's no such thing as cool gadgets anymore, it's quicker analysis. There's not much you can go until you get into space ship androids and that would definitely be out of the Bond wheelhouse outside of Moonraker. (Though I guess Mission Impossible kind of has cool gadgets.)

Anyway, 1) I think general audiences would find 60s Bond weird and off-putting and 2) it's a very hard line to walk between playing it too straight and playing it too much of a parody, and I think people would go into it expecting it to be goofy. But I do love me some retro future tech.

That being said, Moonraker had a baller VHS box

I want to watch Dr. No.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Further showing why they shouldn't...

The problem is you can't do a modern sci-fi James Bond because we already live in a sci-fi world, except it's kind of boring. So any feasible next level sci-fi would be even more boring. There's no such thing as cool gadgets anymore, it's quicker analysis. There's not much you can go until you get into space ship androids and that would definitely be out of the Bond wheelhouse outside of Moonraker. (Though I guess Mission Impossible kind of has cool gadgets.)

Anyway, 1) I think general audiences would find 60s Bond weird and off-putting and 2) it's a very hard line to walk between playing it too straight and playing it too much of a parody, and I think people would go into it expecting it to be goofy. But I do love me some retro future tech.

That being said, Moonraker had a baller VHS box

I want to watch Dr. No.

That depends on what you are trying to achieve.

If you are going for a major blockbuster, forget it. Bond doesn't have that kind of pull. The best modern Bond movies starred a guy named "Bourne" and you are never going to top that.

Or, you could make it for a modest budget and expect a modest return. In that case, appealing to Bond fans with a 60's retro James Bond played completely straight would get you there.

Go the Fallout route, make the 'futuristic" tech from the expectations of the period, not the reality of "now".

Like you said, a modern Bond is just boring as fuck. Appeal to the fan base instead. You might even get yourself a sleeper hit.

LiddyRules

That depends on what you are trying to achieve.

If you are going for a major blockbuster, forget it. Bond doesn't have that kind of pull. The best modern Bond movies starred a guy named "Bourne" and you are never going to top that.

Or, you could make it for a modest budget and expect a modest return. In that case, appealing to Bond fans with a 60's retro James Bond played completely straight would get you there.

Go the Fallout route, make the 'futuristic" tech from the expectations of the period, not the reality of "now".

Like you said, a modern Bond is just boring as fuck. Appeal to the fan base instead. You might even get yourself a sleeper hit.
But what is the fanbase? I don't think most of the fanbase sees Bond as sci-fi. They see Bond as fast cars and loose women. Or, if Spectre is any indication, Bond literally rapes them.

How many throwbacks like this actually work? And I don't think they would use one of their top properties and biggest brands in the world on such a gamble.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
I've kind of soured on Elba as Bong. I'm all in for Fassbender.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator

He's 41. Hardy is 40. Regardless, we have to wait another 5 years for a new Bond (not unreasonable amount of time), none of these people will be in contention. If they want to go white and young - Baby Driver? Kingsman Hood? Quicksilver O'Kickass?
Tom Cruise is 53 and he still doing the Mission: Impossible movies. Statham is 51 and still doing action movies. So Bond being 40-45 is not that out of the realm possibility. Especially since as Liddy said, Bond doesn't necessarily need to be an action guy.

The biggest issue though is having to wait 5 years for the next guy to play the part because the guy who phoned in his last performance gets one more chance to do it.

Pigdango

Donator
Tom Cruise is 53 and he still doing the Mission: Impossible movies. Statham is 51 and still doing action movies. So Bond being 40-45 is not that out of the realm possibility. Especially since as Liddy said, Bond doesn't necessarily need to be an action guy.

The biggest issue though is having to wait 5 years for the next guy to play the part because the guy who phoned in his last performance gets one more chance to do it.
The 5 years is the point. He starts at 46, and after one movie he’s in his 50’s. He’s too old, just like Elba. The next Bond has to be in his or her 30’s right now.

And Lids is wrong about Bond not having to be an action guy now. Just like the Craig movies took a cue from the Bourne franchise, the next Bond will surely be inspired by the last three Mission Impossible films.

LiddyRules

The 5 years is the point. He starts at 46, and after one movie he’s in his 50’s. He’s too old, just like Elba. The next Bond has to be in his or her 30’s right now.
Exactly. Cruise might be in his 50s, but he's been doing these movies for over 20 years. He didn't start at 51.

And Lids is wrong about Bond not having to be an action guy now. Just like the Craig movies took a cue from the Bourne franchise, the next Bond will surely be inspired by the last three Mission Impossible films.
I'm not saying he wouldn't be, I'm saying he wouldn't have to be. Obviously he's going to need some action skills about him - it's not going to be Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - but it doesn't have to be so action oriented. But it will be. It just doesn't have to be.

Pigdango

Donator
Exactly. Cruise might be in his 50s, but he's been doing these movies for over 20 years. He didn't start at 51.

I'm not saying he wouldn't be, I'm saying he wouldn't have to be. Obviously he's going to need some action skills about him - it's not going to be Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - but it doesn't have to be so action oriented. But it will be. It just doesn't have to be.
Bond should be its own thing but they’ve always made the mistake of trying to keep up with the times. Personally I wish the Bond films were all set in the 50’s and 60’s.

LiddyRules

Bond should be its own thing but they’ve always made the mistake of trying to keep up with the times. Personally I wish the Bond films were all set in the 50’s and 60’s.
Despite Kington and the Quest for the Golden Compass, would you accept Vaughn? But not with Craig.

Pigdango

Donator
Despite Kington and the Quest for the Golden Compass, would you accept Vaughn? But not with Craig.
I think that would be a terrible mistake. Like asking Mel Brooks to direct a serious Western after Blazing Saddles, or the Zuckers to direct a serious action movie after Airplane.

I think Vaughn actually plans a third Kingsman movie.

We need to HitW Kingsman 2