Non-functioning power window, 2000 F150

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
Background: I know just enough to get me into serious trouble.

More background: About a year ago I had the glass replaced by some fly-by-night Russian hooligans, I thought they did a good job, but noticed awhile after that when the glass was in the lowest position the pane rattled a bit in the doorframe, very annoying. Putting it up even a fraction of an inch would make the rattle stop.

At the same time, an intermittent problem started happening: With the engine off and the ignition turned to Accessory, the window would not roll up (although the passenger side window would roll up, as would all the other electrically powered stuff in the cabin). I had to start the engine, and then the window would get power and roll up. This didn't happen all the time, just every once in awhile.

So last night it died (with window down, of course). No worky even with engine running. I checked the fuse and it's fine. I took the door panel off, but I'm not really sure what to look for if the window has fallen off the mechanism thing that powers it up and down. Any tips appreciated,

Dave

p.s. Searching YouTube brings up a ton of hits on how to replace the power window motor, which is fine if that's what I have to do, but if it's just slipped off the mechanical arm I hope I can fix it myself...

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
The pane itself should sit on something that looks like a scissor lift. You will be able to see if it is off the mechanism pretty easy because it will be sitting on the bottom of the door. Did you try (with the door panel off) starting the engine and moving the window up or down? It might be off the lift which sounds likely but you might also have a bad actuator which will cost you a couple hundred to replace.

I am in no means an expert and there are guys here who can correct me if Im wrong, I have just dealt with multiple power window issues in my Jeep.

Mommadeez4u

Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
Thanks, I will have a look. Sorry to be stupid, is the actuator the electric motor?

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Thanks, I will have a look. Sorry to be stupid, is the actuator the electric motor?
Pretty much. And if that is shot, do yourself a favor and take it to a professional.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Yeah, definitely report back what you see when you activate the window switch with the engine on and the door panel off. That helps narrow down where the problem will be. Noises coming from the door when the switch is activated may also be useful.

Mommadeez4u

Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
Ok, simultaneously happy and frustrated-- took panel off, checked and the glass was sitting on the mechanism just fine. Put panel back on (in preparation for taking it to the dealer), tried window with key in Accessory position, nothing. Turned engine on, it went up. Maybe it's the up/down switch going bad rather than the motor?

MetalBender

I like fistables.
Dec 20, 2009
New Orleans....Iowa
Most likely the motor is going bad. Generally they fail in the full up or full down position. Reason being the motor is mostly started and stopped from these two positions and develop a bad spot in the motor. Try opening the window just a bit and then forcing in down a bit by hand. This will cause a slip in position from where the normal stopped positions to a point that has not been stopped and started many times and often cure the problem for years to come.

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Most likely the motor is going bad. Generally they fail in the full up or full down position. Reason being the motor is mostly started and stopped from these two positions and develop a bad spot in the motor. Try opening the window just a bit and then forcing in down a bit by hand. This will cause a slip in position from where the normal stopped positions to a point that has not been stopped and started many times and often cure the problem for years to come.
Or break it for sure. Either way you will get to the bottom of the problem, as well as the window well.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
My money's on a bad motor. It's losing it's ability to lift
the glass. With the key on and engine off it gets about
2 volts less power than with a running engine. The extra
voltage is what helps it get the glass to go up.

MetalBender

I like fistables.
Dec 20, 2009
New Orleans....Iowa
Or break it for sure. Either way you will get to the bottom of the problem, as well as the window well.
Fine, pull it up by hand a bit then. Moving it by hand just relocates the track position on the motor away from the dead spot caused by stopping and starting. I have done this to several windows and learned it from a retired certified mechanic that went on to rebuild electrical motors, stators, generators and alternators. Guess he could be wrong but as long as it works for me.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Wack the motor with a hammer

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Fine, pull it up by hand a bit then. Moving it by hand just relocates the track position on the motor away from the dead spot caused by stopping and starting. I have done this to several windows and learned it from a retired certified mechanic that went on to rebuild electrical motors, stators, generators and alternators. Guess he could be wrong but as long as it works for me.
Or the couple times that I have tired that method and ended up taping my window into the shut position. Agree to disagree.