Nonstandard Home Improvements

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
Have you done something to your house that is non-standard and makes it so much nicer?
Such as?

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Well the odd thing is there is a three bay garage on one end of the house... only thing I could see is the ceiling was only 10' where as where the barn is the ceiling is about 16' ish high...

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Also took out a door (that wasn't used) framed/sided and put in a dog door so the dog can go in and out of her dog pen as she pleases.

MetalBender

I like fistables.
Dec 20, 2009
New Orleans....Iowa
Hell yes I do! I got a funnel with a hose attached going through a hole in the wall for a pisser out in the shop. It's great in the winter.

Then there is a room in the basement with a galvanized ceiling and breaker box cover that is magnitized to the wall. The ceiling idea is to access the dryer vent tube, plumbing, phone, electrical and cable. Otherwise just all steel roofing and seamless vertical siding.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I basically got the doors and the basic stalls done in a week... as we had to get the horses in.

Only sucky thing was I had to strip all the insulation and rewire as critters has been living in there and roooined it.

Haven't reinsulated it as have not figured out the door arrangement yet.

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
How is the water heated? Where does it go to?
Cold water into the unit from the bottom through the blue line, gets distributed to all of the cold water fixtures in the house, goes out through the blue line on top of the unit into the water heater and hot water comes back into the top of the manifold through the red line and gets distributed to all of the hot water fixtures in the house.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Cold water into the unit from the bottom through the blue line, gets distributed to all of the cold water fixtures in the house, goes out through the blue line on top of the unit into the water heater and hot water comes back into the top of the manifold through the red line and gets distributed to all of the hot water fixtures in the house.

Nice... gather with the manifold the water pressure throughout the house is the same... btw did you put an expansion tank on your water heater?

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
Nice... gather with the manifold the water pressure throughout the house is the same... btw did you put an expansion tank on your water heater?
The water pressure is the same at every fixture. Only drawback to the manifold system is the delayed hot water in the kitchen sink. There's about 50 feet of pex between the mainfold and the kitchen sink. Takes a while to flush that much cold water out of the pipe.

The expansion tank is attached to the cold water line between the water heater and the manifold. You can see the tee that goes into the expansion tank in the top left corner of the picture.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Do the horses gnaw on the exposed lumber?
Yep... that's why I used rough sawn spruce for the stall interiors and the board and batten outside as I know they will chew on it.

Note the stalls are now sheathed on the outside... and up to the ceilings.

I had some of that roll on truck bed liner left and painted the exterior door sills with it... and still looks good after ummm 3 years.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
The water pressure is the same at every fixture. Only drawback to the manifold system is the delayed hot water in the kitchen sink. There's about 50 feet of pex between the mainfold and the kitchen sink. Takes a while to flush that much cold water out of the pipe.

The expansion tank is attached to the cold water line between the water heater and the manifold. You can see the tee that goes into the expansion tank in the top left corner of the picture.
Could do a recirculating hot water loop... gather you insulated all the lines.

Top Bottom