Nook vs Kindle - tablet edition

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
So the wife & I have a 1st gen Nook. Love it. We also have an ipad with the nook apps installed. I'm a gadget hound so I want to get one of the bookstore tablet's for Christmas. The problem is I don't know what the Nook Color/Tablet does that the ipad doesn't.

We have accounts with BN.com and I went with the nook over the kindle originally because I hated that the Kindle had the keyboard and the Nook had lending and library functionality before the Kindle.

We have Amazon Prime so having the Fire would be nice for streaming purposes, but none of our books would be on it and it's silly to have two accounts for e-books.

Guess I just want some advice.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Not sure on the legality of this, but there are ways to acquire Kindle books without buying them. My personal opinion is if you've paid for the content, you should be able to acquire it any way you want after that.

I love two things about my Kindle that I believe set it apart from the Nook (I could be wrong). First, the Kindle syncs your last page read between every device you have (smartphone, computer, etc), even if the content is "side loaded" (not purchased through Amazon). Second, Chrome has a bad-ass extension that can send most web pages and included text to your Kindle, so if you have a long article you hit a button, and as long as you have wifi you can download it to your Kindle almost immediately.

Also not sure if these apply to the Fire, but I would assume they do.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
Not sure on the legality of this, but there are ways to acquire Kindle books without buying them. My personal opinion is if you've paid for the content, you should be able to acquire it any way you want after that.

I love two things about my Kindle that I believe set it apart from the Nook (I could be wrong). First, the Kindle syncs your last page read between every device you have (smartphone, computer, etc), even if the content is "side loaded" (not purchased through Amazon). Second, Chrome has a bad-ass extension that can send most web pages and included text to your Kindle, so if you have a long article you hit a button, and as long as you have wifi you can download it to your Kindle almost immediately.

Also not sure if these apply to the Fire, but I would assume they do.
I know they say the Nook bookmark works across devices, but I haven't figured it out yet (I have the Nook, the Android App, iPad app and the Nook on my PC). I like that other feature you mentioned though, but I don't think the Nook I have has it, maybe the Tablet will.

My biggest complaint with the e-readers is I'm not able to get my library on to it. Like when I bought an ipod I could put the CDs I already own on it. There's no way to legally get the books I already own on my Nook.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
My biggest complaint with the e-readers is I'm not able to get my library on to it. Like when I bought an ipod I could put the CDs I already own on it. There's no way to legally get the books I already own on my Nook.
Why not just get the Nook Color rooted with Android running on it? You can run your Amazon Instant Video on that no problem and have the benefits of all your Nook library on it too. And you can sideload books onto the Nook app as long as they're in epub format and there's lots of converters out there for that.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
Why not just get the Nook Color rooted with Android running on it? You can run your Amazon Instant Video on that no problem and have the benefits of all your Nook library on it too. And you can sideload books onto the Nook app as long as they're in epub format and there's lots of converters out there for that.
Why would I have to root it? I thought it runs on Android?

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I know they say the Nook bookmark works across devices, but I haven't figured it out yet (I have the Nook, the Android App, iPad app and the Nook on my PC). I like that other feature you mentioned though, but I don't think the Nook I have has it, maybe the Tablet will.

Are you sure? You can do it with Kindle pretty easily. I use Calibre (awesome program) and it will transfer any .mobi book in my library (non DRM) to my Kindle. It will also convert books that aren't already in .mobi format. You would think the Nook would also be able to accept side loaded content.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Why would I have to root it? I thought it runs on Android?
I think they might block being able to stream Amazon's video on demand service through a browser. Not sure. I'm rooted so I can watch mine on my phone though. I think I remember not being able to do it before I got rooted.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Have either been confirmed as easily rootable yet?

Hardware wise I would imagine the Nook would be your best bet seeing as B&N have more experience that type of tablet. Amazon is rumored to have another Android tablet already in production that they were going to hold off on depending on how well Fire sells. Which, as I hear, is doing better than expected.

Right now you can get a Xoom for $350

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
Are you sure? You can do it with Kindle pretty easily. I use Calibre (awesome program) and it will transfer any .mobi book in my library (non DRM) to my Kindle. It will also convert books that aren't already in .mobi format. You would think the Nook would also be able to accept side loaded content.
Sorry, I was talking about how I can't get paper copies of books I already own on to the device. To get them on a Nook I'd have to buy again or download them illegally whereas with music I could always rip my CDs to mp3.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Sorry, I was talking about how I can't get paper copies of books I already own on to the device. To get them on a Nook I'd have to buy again or download them illegally whereas with music I could always rip my CDs to mp3.
Oh alright, that makes sense. Like I said, I would have no issues downloading ebooks from "alternative" sources if I already owned the physical ones. You're paying for a combination of words, not really a physical stack of paper with some type of binding, so once you've purchased the words, who cares what form you acquire them in?