OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

North Dakota oil jobs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by sniper2323, Aug 29, 2011.

1. sniper2323

sniper2323 The true north Idaho P.O.W.

I'm thinking of going to work there. Any baggers working there now? I "hear" there are some real high paying equipment operator jobs, but I cant find anything online. People are telling me, $90,000 a year is no problem there for a CDL class A driver. What I am seeing online is less then that.

I currently earn 12.05 an hour in a very stable job, but it isn't paying the bills.

I know its hard work, and winters in North Dakota are cold, but I wont find a job that pays better as the job market here stinks. I'm married with kids and the current plan is for me to take our camper there and work/live in the camper till I can get something better like a motor-home that is better equipped for the seasons. Wife and kids will stay here.

So, your thoughts? The jobsite is about 1,000 miles by road away.

2. Absolutely

Absolutely Self-Heavy

I can only assume that oil work in North Dakota would be a perfect mix for a girly pseudo-hipster like myself with no applicable job experience.
    If you find some links to online job applications, post em, I'll include them in my daily job market bombings.

3. weeniewawa

weeniewawa it's a man, baby!!!

a friend of mine's kid is working there and he says there are plenty of jobs and he never mentioned the 90k either

says there is as much work as you want

he is living in a trailer too

4. lajikal

lajikal Registered User

My cuz' with cdl is workin' 24 hrs/day makin $24/hr haulin water there.

He gets a break nov-Jan timeframe

5. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

I hope you like bikers. Fargo is swarming with them.

6. DanaReevesLungs

DanaReevesLungs I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
    Donator

I heard about this on Raw Dog. They're stating the big money driving jobs are for O/O and those guys have to wait 60 days before they even start getting to work because of all the permits, training, orientation, etc.

7. B54

B54 Ω

What are you blowing your money on that 420$/wk (after taxes, not including OT) isn't enough to get by?

I can't imagine rent and utilities are killing you in Idaho.

8. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

This phrase is a giant red flag. Unless you own 500+ units, there's no money in owning trucks.

9. Absolutely

Absolutely Self-Heavy

21,840 with kids?
    I don't own money or have kids, but that amount seems like it might be tight.

10. Joker1919

Joker1919 Registered User

I'm looking to go out there when I finish school. My instructor knows a guy that owns several companies out there that just service equipment in the oil fields and he said that they are begging for people. Its kind of like the coal industry here they can't keep people I guess because of the nature of the work and drugs. It sounds like a good opportunity because the pay is fucking great. Only bad part is the area where the fields are there isn't a fucking thing to do.

11. DanaReevesLungs

DanaReevesLungs I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
    Donator

Not only that, but 2 months without any pay? AND from reports I've read, they have to apply pumps, hoses and other oilfield equipment to the trucks at the O/O's cost. So, you go there, get accepted, retrofit your truck with close to $20K of equipment then don't get a paycheck for 2 months. Fuck that.

12. gleet

gleet What's black and white and red all over?

A guy I worked with now works there. I heard he is driving a water truck. He works two weeks on two weeks off, has been there a few months, and already bought a new pickup. I hear that he likes it and is happy there. And for a while there was a local guy running ads on the radio looking for drivers.

The funny thing is, I knew of someone who moved there for another job about 8-9 years ago before the boom. He bought a solid old farmhouse on 40 acres for some incredible price like $20,000 because nobody lived there and there were no jobs there. Then a few years later the boom arrived and I have heard of people renting cots in their garage for hundreds a week, and this guy is probably sitting on a gold mine if he wanted to sell his place.

13. Taint Stench

Taint Stench #shredding

Be careful in posting your wages, blakesnake00 is gonna brag about how rich he is from mooching off his wife.

14. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

There is always work in the oil business, but if you're specifically looking for a driving job, that's so far out of my wheelhouse I can't help.

If you're looking for roughneck work, I might be able to make some calls, though.

15. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

And FYI, I know there's some decent oil fields happening in the Dakotas right now, so the rumors aren't bullshit... It can just be a tough gig to get in to.

16. CousinDave

CousinDave Registered User

There are always driving jobs if you want to haul logs

17. Haeder

Haeder South Dakota

A couple of my relatives moved there a year or two ago. He's an electrician with decades of experience and only nine fingers and his wife just quit a job and had another one no more than two weeks later. They enjoy the area quite a bit - Williston in southwest North Dakota. Biggest complaint is the housing market. They bought a place and got a bit of a rogering from the developer on a few of the details. Don't expect to find a cheap campsite with full service hook-ups though.

If you've got any carpentry-related skills you'll be able to make a fortune.

What do you do that pays $12.05 an hour in Idaho?

18. undertow

undertow Born to Rock

you can make alot of money in "oilfield" with alittle schooling to. friend of mine did power engineering. 3yrs of school, killed the course, is making $70-90/hr canadian. 2 weeks in 1 week out but april-first week of august he had maybe 10 days off. oilfield is good money for anyone who doesnt need to be home every night.

19. hjpt

hjpt Registered User

20. twiggy

twiggy Livin the Dream!!!

You can make good money but its not what you think. First you have to own your own truck and have it equipped with apx $15k worth of pumps, hoses and hydraulics. Then you have to take several courses for the company, osha and who knows what other govt agency. All of the courses cost apx $1200 and if you fail youre s.o.l. and either go home or pay it again and retake them. Then if you pass the courses and the company decides to take you on you will make good money if you dont mind sitting in your truck for days on end, no showers, eating what you can carry on your truck and conditions that make the mid west dust bowl seem good.
    I'm not telling you not to do it because there is great potential to make some serious bank but they have a turn-over ratio of about 75%, most people leave within the first 2 weeks. I mean c'mon if it were that easy dont you think everyone that had a truck would be up there? I drive a truck and have thought about it but just not ready to go thru all that shit. Good luck if you do decide to go!

21. Pat Barringer

Pat Barringer Registered User

More like cowboys. The oil jobs are strictly in western ND, not east. And when you hear tales of all the money you'll make, keep in mind the cost of living. Apartment prices have doubled and tripled since this started (tales of $2000 a month and up for generic rentals). There's price gouging on all levels of commerce, taking big chunks out of your pay.

However, I work for a company that is making giant profits while being based in the eastern part of the state, so there is plenty of money to be made indirectly to the oil. For example, they haul tankers of just water from Fargo all the way to the west and pay plenty for it.

Also, there's no housing to be had out there. People are sleeping in tents, shitty rv's, whatever they can get. Then the big homebuilders from eastern ND hustle out there and bill low-quality shitboxes at a giant markup.

22. mherbst8

mherbst8 New Wackbag

I have been looking for an oil job out in north dakota...go there couple times a year and love it out there. Any help at starting in as a rough neck. Ill take anything to get my foot in the door

23. JonBenetRamsey

JonBenetRamsey well shit the bed

hmmm i have shit going on for me in jersey. this sounds rather tempting.

24. SpokaneFlyer

SpokaneFlyer Registered User

I went to college in North Dakota. That area isn't too bad, but it's still North Dakota. Huge open spaces, mosquitos, and big storms that can hit year round. Infrastructure is nill. Pheasant hunting is awesome there. Oddly enough, you can get used to the cold. It's just all about layers.

I almost forgot about the injuns though. Lock your shit up. Injuns will steal your shit and race it back to the reservation where they cannot be touched.

25. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

I'm about to graduate with a Bachelors in Business Administration, and I've been pretty worried about finding a job here in California. If all else fails, I'm keeping North Dakota open as an option. I have experience in logging, operating heavy equipment, and construction, so I could probably find a decent job that would pay more than any my degree could get me.