Not a FU - My doggy is OK

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
I'm used to posting lousy news in the FU forum, but I figured I'd post some happy news for a change. My English Bulldog was in the vet's today for an ultrasound so they could check his insides. He's 7.5 years old and he's lost about 20 lbs over the last few months, and although he's eating and pretty active (for a bulldog) we were afraid that he might have the Big C and we would have to make a tough decision right before Christmas. He had some blood tests a few weeks ago and the results were inconclusive. So the vet wanted to do an ultrasound and possibly a biopsy of any masses found. Well he is 99% sure there's no cancer there, and thinks the problem is an inflamed bowel/intestine. This is a chronic/heredetary condition that's not curable, but can be controlled with diet. So my buddy will be around a little longer and won't need to be put down right before Christmas. Thanks for letting me share my "Anti-FU" with everyone!

Mother Shucker

I'm over here now.
Oct 13, 2004
Your Mom's box.
Best of luck to you. My buh-dee passed away October of 2010. He stopped eating too. Had two ultra sounds at two different hospitals (those fuckers are expensive). Even had exploratory surgery. They never figured it out. I miss him so much. Get well Mr. Bulldog, you got some more love to give.

kloraferm

Humor is reason gone mad
Sep 6, 2002
Staten Island, NY
Glad to hear your dog is doing okay. I hope you get to have him around for a long time!

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
Try Blue Buffalo food. I'm a dog trainer and recommend it to all my customers. It really is the healthiest animal food product on shelves. Expensive, but very worth it.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
Try Blue Buffalo food. I'm a dog trainer and recommend it to all my customers. It really is the healthiest animal food product on shelves. Expensive, but very worth it.
THIS! I feed my boxer Blue Buffalo, no filler, no additives, and it's made in the USA.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
DOC went june 10th, i still get quite weepy

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
I just fostered a dog for a couple that adopted him from the shelter. He was a shepard collie mix and was a really good boy. My wife good me he had an Orange tag and was considered agressive.. well he ran with my 3 year old and my little yorkus and wasn't agressive at all. Unless you consider wanting to lay next to you, cuddle, and lick you aggressive. I guess it was the way he was treated before. He had one ear that stayed down and one that stayed up he was a cute dog too..

Unwantednypets dot org.. they save dogs that are scheduled to be put down. My wife went there Thursday when thy rescued another and told me how sad it was. It's a really good cause.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
THIS! I feed my boxer Blue Buffalo, no filler, no additives, and it's made in the USA.
The vet wants to put him on the hypoallergenic Science Diet. I'm not too thrilled with that because he doesn't take to different food very well, and I hate paying the Vet's ridiculous markup for food. I would like to try the Blue Buffalo even it's a bit more than the Nutro he's on now. What's your thoughts on Science Diet, especially if the vet thinks he's got allergy issues with his food?

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
good news on your bulldog, glad it isn't cancer

my vet wanted me to feed my weeniedog the same fancy Science Diet stuff when she had bladder stones but since I just have a bowl that all 3 dogs have constant access to, it would have ran me to the poor house.

my dogs eat Diamond small breed adult and she has never had problems again so I didn't need the fancy stuff

this dog looks uncomfortable and stressed

he needs a blanket ;)

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Science Diet is shit that vets push. First ingredient is corn. There are far better choices. There are lots of high quality allergy formulas out there.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
We feed our dogs grain free food and I mix in fresh green beans with it.

Solved all of the lab's skin problems and both dogs lost weight and the vet

is very happy with them. Funny how what people should be doing also

works very well with the mutts.

metallikat87

Dec 14, 2006
Oklahoma
good news on your bulldog, i lost my basset earlier this year to the big c
he went completely blind after not eating well for about a week so i took him to my vet who said he had no idea, took him to a doggy eye doc who took about 1500 from me before saying he had no idea. then finally to an internalist who took 2 weeks(and another 1500 or so) before he finally did an ultrasound and figured out that his heart was enlarged, and his left kindey was completely taken over by a tumor amongst other bad stuff. i hate those fucking vets for taking so long to figure it out, they told me it wasnt cancer (based on several blood tests) 3 weeks before i found out it was cancer. still miss him all the time

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
The vet wants to put him on the hypoallergenic Science Diet. I'm not too thrilled with that because he doesn't take to different food very well, and I hate paying the Vet's ridiculous markup for food. I would like to try the Blue Buffalo even it's a bit more than the Nutro he's on now. What's your thoughts on Science Diet, especially if the vet thinks he's got allergy issues with his food?
I have my cats on Science Diet. I use the one bowl method for my kitties. I would like to change them over to Blue Buffalo, but one of my cats is older and if I change food on him he will become a fart machine and I might end up with Hershey squirts on my carpet.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
We feed our dogs grain free food and I mix in fresh green beans with it.

Solved all of the lab's skin problems and both dogs lost weight and the vet

is very happy with them. Funny how what people should be doing also

works very well with the mutts.

I feed my dog peas and green beans all the time. My older cat loves peas, but my younger cat won't eat either. He likes cooked carrots.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
I feed my dog peas and green beans all the time. My older cat loves peas, but my younger cat won't eat either. He likes cooked carrots.
They love carrots. I can actually give them almost any kind
of veggies and they house them. The little one used to graze
til we changed their diet. Now with the veggies she eats all of
her meals in 1 sitting. Amazing how much they like them.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
I have my cats on Science Diet. I use the one bowl method for my kitties. I would like to change them over to Blue Buffalo, but one of my cats is older and if I change food on him he will become a fart machine and I might end up with Hershey squirts on my carpet.
i feed my cat Wellness canned. All grain free. He was having early signs of diabetes... especially the gorging on food/water when I used to feed him dry food. Now, he never drinks water (which is a good thing). He gets it all from the wet food.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
We use Nature's Domain from Costco. The price is very good for
a specialty diet food and it gets a 4 star out of 5 rating from the
dog food advisor.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/natures-domain-dog-food/
That stuff is awesome, best-priced grain-free dog food that there is period.. I buy that too. My Lab would eat a bowl of dirt, but my other guy is fussy. He turns his nose up if I give him the same stuff day in and day out. So, I hit up the local Petcos near me and buy whatever grain-free they have marked down 50% off (stuff that's going to expire in like a month, the bag is damaged, etc) and mix that in with the stuff from Costco. I got 2 small bags of Natural Balance grain-free allergy stuff 2 weeks ago. As long as there is something different, he'll eat it. I can also mix in some of our leftovers, or a cup of gravy - whatever. If I give him some variety, he's good.

i feed my cat Wellness canned. All grain free. He was having early signs of diabetes... especially the gorging on food/water when I used to feed him dry food. Now, he never drinks water (which is a good thing). He gets it all from the wet food.
I got some Wellness kitten for the new kitten we got 2 weeks ago. But she likes the stuff we feed our other cat better:

It's grain-free and available at Petco. We order it online most of the time because they often have it on-sale with free shipping and whatnot, usually cheaper than buying it at the store. They have it in cans and pouches. The pouch flavors are different from the can flavors so we buy some of both, usually 2 months worth at a time.

I also buy the dry cat food at Costco. Our other cat never cared much for dry, she'd pick at it here and there. But if we didn't have a bowl of dry available 24/7, she'd pitch a bitch. Now that I am buying the stuff from Costco, she eats alot more of the dry. The kitten also hits it up pretty good as well.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
Glad you got him back healthy!

My Yorkie gets inflamed intestines with bloody diahreah. This results in hospitalization due to dehydration.

They call it HGE: hemorragic gastro enteritis. (bleeding inflamed intestines)

It almost killed her las Jan. There isn't always a cause but irritating food is usually the culprit. As stated above, corn is bad for a lot of doggies.

EVO is the only food that keeps her guts calm. No table scraps either.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
Science Diet's specialty blends that you have to get from a vet are crap. Blue has basically the same thing, it's called Blue Basics. Also, all Natural Balance foods are hypo-allergenic as well. Very few Science Diet foods will get a nod from me over anything else. I'm a dog trainer and nutrition expert for Petco and know what goes into most of the foods.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
No table scraps either.
THIS THIS FUCKING BLOODY THIS! Human food is not good for cats or dogs! Some vegetables now and then are fine, but FUCKING DO NOT give them your table scraps!!!!!

Also, Wellness > Soulistic, but not by much. They are very close in quality, and both only just behind Blue Buffalo.

Other high quality foods are Merrick, Innova, and Holistic Select. If your dog or cat is eating any of those, you are in good shape.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
THIS THIS FUCKING BLOODY THIS! Human food is not good for cats or dogs! Some vegetables now and then are fine, but FUCKING DO NOT give them your table scraps!!!!!

Also, Wellness > Soulistic, but not by much. They are very close in quality, and both only just behind Blue Buffalo.

Other high quality foods are Merrick, Innova, and Holistic Select. If your dog or cat is eating any of those, you are in good shape.
You forgot Solid Gold. There are other other great brands like Taste Of The Wild that I buy sometimes also.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
You forgot Solid Gold. There are other other great brands like Taste Of The Wild that I buy sometimes also.
Both also good choices, but I left the off my list because they honestly don't come close to the others. In human health food terms, My list is like the super natural Kashi cereals, Solid Gold and Taste of the Wild are like Whole Grain Captain Crunch.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Both also good choices, but I left the off my list because they honestly don't come close to the others. In human health food terms, My list is like the super natural Kashi cereals, Solid Gold and Taste of the Wild are like Whole Grain Captain Crunch.
Solid Gold it's top of the line stuff. It was developed for Great Danes. They live like 5 years longer if they eat that over other food.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
Solid Gold it's top of the line stuff. It was developed for Great Danes. They live like 5 years longer if they eat that over other food.
Trust me, I know. They also make a food additive that is classified for humans, dogs, cats, horses, and small mammals.

When I was a kid my dad had a dane that was eating basic dog food, the same shit you would buy in a grocery store today with no named protein source, and she lived until she was 12. Solid Gold is actually about the quality of Purina Beneful. The only reason it is better is that all the protein sources are named.