*not a* SHOCKER: People want to move out of New Jersey latest poll says

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Poll finds many hoping to leave New Jersey behind

Associated Press
October 17, 2007

TRENTON, N.J. - While one recent study found more than 231,000 people have left New Jersey since 2002, a poll released Wednesday found many more would like to follow.

The Monmouth University/Gannett New Jersey Poll found 49 percent of New Jersey adults would like to move out of the state, compared to 44 percent who would prefer to stay and 7 percent who are unsure.

The poll found 51 percent of those who want to leave say they're very likely to make good on that wish, with most of the those who want to leave adults less than 50 years of age and earning between $50,000 and $100,000 per year.

"The poll points to a real possibility that active working adults and higher-earning retirees will leave the state in greater numbers, leaving behind a generally low-income senior population," said Patrick Murray, director of the Monmouth University Polling Institute. "This could put added demand on public services, but with a diminished tax base to carry the costs."

A Rutgers University study, released last week, found New Jersey's accelerating population loss is starting to have significant economic and fiscal consequences.

The report found the state lost 231,565 people between 2002 and 2006, including 72,547 people last year. The latter was the fourth highest loss in the nation behind only California, Louisiana and New York.

When lost income and sales taxes from the people who left New Jersey are considered, the population drain is estimated to have cost the state $680 million in tax revenue last year, the report found.

The latest poll found 28 percent of people wanting to leave citing America's highest property taxes as the leading reason; 19 percent mentioned the state's generally high cost-of-living, with 6 percent citing housing costs and 5 percent citing state taxes.

Other top reasons for wanting to leave New Jersey include the weather, environment, longing for a change of scenery, overdevelopment, congestion and government corruption.

Half of those wanting to leave want to move to the Southeast, with Florida and North Carolina the most popular choices, the poll found.

"Many say that the most pressing issues in New Jersey will not change unless the public takes a stand," Murray said. "Well, it appears that the public has decided to vote with their feet."

The telphone poll conducted of 801 New Jersey adults was conducted from Sept. 27-30 and has a sampling error margin of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

Razor Roman

Save the USH!
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
Yup. New Jersey kind of blows... and unfortunately the people in power will continue to stay in power, so they have no incentive to do anything to fix it.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
3$ to to leave jearsy is money well spent

Nortonsmeatytit

"That ball is outta here"
Sep 11, 2005
Philly
I just hate the JUG HANDLES!!!
he he, are left turns just illegal in Jersey? WTF is with the jug handles???

The real estate taxes are friggin brutal. A guy I work with pays like $11,000 in property taxes a year alone! In my county there would be people with fuckin pitchforks & torches marching in the street from that shit for sure. Why do people in Jersey tolerate the tax increases from the politicians? are they just fucked up in the head or what? how does it manage to get that far w/out being reigned the hell in?

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
he he, are left turns just illegal in Jersey? WTF is with the jug handles???

The real estate taxes are friggin brutal. A guy I work with pays like $11,000 in property taxes a year alone! In my county there would be people with fuckin pitchforks & torches marching in the street from that shit for sure. Why do people in Jersey tolerate the tax increases from the politicians? are they just fucked up in the head or what? how does it manage to get that far w/out being reigned the hell in?
There is Houses in Essex County, West Orange, Millburn, Short Hills that pay $30,000 a year in taxes and other that pay more then that.

Kugzilla

Roar. Go: Eagles, Flyers, Philles, Buckeyes, etc.
Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
I love Jersey.

But, we move to Hawaii in December.

Aloha.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
I love the Jersey shore and most of my family are still in north Jersey. I actually do like it here, but the taxes are brutal. This is the time of year I start doing my election homework & try to figure out the lesser of two evils to vote for. If it's a tie, I go with GRIP (Get Rid of Incumbent Politicians).

I also write my elected officials A LOT. The internet makes it so easy and free. :)

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Mrs. Begbie and I left that shithole of a state in 2004. It was very tough to settle down after college and buy a house and start a family for us in NJ.

We visited some friends down here in Raleigh while we had an offer on a 10 year old, 1500 sq ft two-story colonial (down the street from the Oyster Creek Nuclear Plant) in Lacey, NJ. We were blown away by the quality of life down here in NC. Not only that, but I found out that property taxes in Raleigh and surrounding areas are significantly less than NJ.

I backed out of the Lacey, NJ deal, and bought a brand new 2,000 sq ft two story house with an addtl 700 sq ft unfinished third floor in Raleigh. The price was about $100K less than the house we would've bought in Lacey. And it's also in a quiet neighborhood. My property taxes are about $1,100 a year but they're spiking to a whopping $1,500 :icon_roll a year due to the demand for new schools and such. I think my car insurance decreased about 60%. On top of that, Mrs. Begbie and I both have jobs that pay better than some of the offers we got in NJ.

Less traffic, better weather, significantly less cost of living, improved quality of life, and less political corruption was a no-brainer for us. Alot of our friends who are out or coming out of college are considering the same move south to areas in NC, SC, and FL.

kimothee

Token Gimpy Cunt
Aug 31, 2004
The Edge of the Water, Norf Jersey
If it were up to me, we'd be out of this east coast shithole by tomorrow (strike that, if it were up to me, we never would have moved to this shithole in the first place). Alas, the 2001 economy (even pre-9/11) didn't leave us any other options for a job for the Mr. and we had to make a decision relatively quickly. Totally sucks.

Now, we're locked in for another 4 years - for the next 2 years, he's doing the MBA thing (company paid at a top school) and then 2 years "payback" time to the company. We will NOT buy property here due to the taxes and commitment level of a house. Once the time has passed, we'll be out of here on our broomsticks rather quickly.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I love the Jersey shore and most of my family are still in north Jersey. I actually do like it here, but the taxes are brutal.
I love the NJ shore also. I'd have relocated there if things worked out financially. Now, with the taxes and the insane real estate prices, I'd never be able to afford it.

In the next few years or so, I expect to get an offer to relocate down south if I wanted to do so... Florida or the Carolinas. I'm not too keen on the Florida idea. I'd rather move to NC/SC, or maybe southern Virginia. My wife is up for it, but we'll only do it if the offer is right money-wise.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
In the next few years or so, I expect to get an offer to relocate down south if I wanted to do so... Florida or the Carolinas. I'm not too keen on the Florida idea. I'd rather move to NC/SC, or maybe southern Virginia. My wife is up for it, but we'll only do it if the offer is right money-wise.
Southern VA isn't too bad...as long as you're near i95 and the shore. I've driven through the center of the state (on i85) and that absolutely is the middle of nowhere. NC is much more populated, especially if you're in the Charlotte or Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill which has a population around or over 1 million. I'm about 2 hours from the NC beaches, 3 hours from NC mountains and 3 hours from DC. SC is also nice...we looked into a few areas near Charleston, and that's probably where we're headed next.

Creampier

I have to return some videotapes!
May 11, 2007
Somerville, NJ
I hate this state probably just as much as anyone else, but I have some perspective on things. I've traveled all over the US for my engineering job, and have been to 38 states. Even after all that, i don't think I'd be able to live outside the Central/North Jersey/southern NY state area.

I like heading to the Jersey shore. I'd hate the fact I wouldn't be able to catch Mets or Giants games in any given year. I like the fact that I don't have to worry about hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes. I like the fact that you can grab something to eat at a diner or convenience store 24/7, even in the suburbs not even close to NYC or Philly. I was born and raised here, have both sides of my family 95% here... I guess I'll be here until I can't afford the property taxes.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
Can you guys do us a favor and stay out of the south?

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Southern VA isn't too bad...as long as you're near i95 and the shore. I've driven through the center of the state (on i85) and that absolutely is the middle of nowhere. NC is much more populated, especially if you're in the Charlotte or Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill which has a population around or over 1 million. I'm about 2 hours from the NC beaches, 3 hours from NC mountains and 3 hours from DC. SC is also nice...we looked into a few areas near Charleston, and that's probably where we're headed next.
My cousin is in the process of moving to Charleston, SC from NJ. My company has a corporate office in SC. It's not the main place, but it's where my division is based. I really do like where I live, and like I said before, the offer would have to be worth it for me to make this kinda move. I'm only open to do this because I've come to realize that being able to afford the NJ shore is never going to happen - unless I hit the lottery. If I do, LBI here I come.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
My cousin is in the process of moving to Charleston, SC from NJ. My company has a corporate office in SC. It's not the main place, but it's where my division is based. I really do like where I live, and like I said before, the offer would have to be worth it for me to make this kinda move. I'm only open to do this because I've come to realize that being able to afford the NJ shore is never going to happen - unless I hit the lottery. If I do, LBI here I come.
I had an apartment in Barnegat for a few years and we'd end up on LBI every weekend. We found pretty affordable housing (granted in 2004) down in Manahawkin and points south like Little Egg Harbor. Property taxes weren't as bad as say, Monmouth or northern Ocean County.

Charleston is sort of LBI-ish. Much nicer than say, Myrtle Beach...but I actually like Hilton Head better. Although, that whole area is long overdue for another Hugo.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
It's just better than Lawn Guyland :)
Jersey blows compared to Lawn Guyland. Besides everything else, we don't have stupid traffic circles or jug handles. And there is not one town here that smells as much as Bayonne ;)

That being said, if I could afford to leave now, I'd be heading for the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. But I've got almost 20 years in the court retirement system and I'm not about to lose all that money by leaving early. Retirement is just around the corner (11 years or so). Until then I'm sorta stuck here :(