Notebook Memory Question

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Apr 25, 2005
SW Missouri
Morning all.

I want to upgrade my newer Vista laptop from 1GB to 2GB RAM but I have a question.

If ordering through Toshiba I'm looking at $100.

But ordering elsewhere like at Crucial.com, which I think is reliable, I'm looking at $60 for seemingly the exact same thing.

If the basic specs are the same, "1GB PC2-4200 DDR2-533MHz", should it be okay ordering from other retailers?

Toshiba <- One 1GB stick for $50

Crucial <- Two 1GB sticks for $60

Other confusing things that I've pretty much figured out are that I should prefer non-ECC and that there is no huge difference between 533MHz and 667MHz. Other than that, I really have no clue and am probably making more out if than I should.

Thanks.

Feb 20, 2007
When it comes to memory, as long as the specs are the same for your laptop, it should work. But make sure everything is the same, otherwise you will have dead memory.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Yeah, as long as the specs are similar you are ok. There is also a voltage spec.

Newegg.com also has a memory selector utility to find the proper ram for your system.

For the current style RAM, DDR2, you do want to add it in matched pairs of identical modules to get the benefit from the dual-channel operation. If the ram is mis-matched (size, make, etc) or you only use one module, the system operated in single channel mode, which is slower.

Feb 20, 2007
Yeah, as long as the specs are similar you are ok. There is also a voltage spec.

Newegg.com also has a memory selector utility to find the proper ram for your system.

For the current style RAM, DDR2, you do want to add it in matched pairs of identical modules to get the benefit from the dual-channel operation. If the ram is mis-matched (size, make, etc) or you only use one module, the system operated in single channel mode, which is slower.
Good mention. I know a couple of years back you could only use the same type of memory modules or the laptop would just not work. Same for mobos. Don't know how much of that is true still anymore.

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Apr 25, 2005
SW Missouri
Thanks for the tips. I have one gig, but it's two 512MB. So I'm planning on getting two 1GB sticks. I'm going with Newegg because they have a great price and it was pretty clear exactly what I needed for my laptop and hell, you can't beat 2GB for less than $50.