Now, how did Google manage to pull this one off???

thegreenninja

Alkey fan since day 1
I know, I've been fucking with it for a few hours now, currently looking at the strip in Vegas. That's a lot of photographs, I wonder how long it took.
edit: It seems that there are eight pictures for each panorama, which occur every hundred feet or so. I reiterate, that is a LOT of photos.

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Im thinking mount one of these 360 Degree Panoramic Camera and just drive the city streets. I cant even start to imagine the storage and processing requirements for something like this.

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
anyone spot any hot chicks yet?

They're likely using the ground cameras that townships and cities use for security. Perhaps the bandwidth is being sold to google to pay for the equipment and the maintenance. Wonder if private security cams are involved with this.

Polack

Who is John Galt?
for some reason I can't zoom into my region. I know I live in the sticks but I can't even get a good shot of my town.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
They're likely using the ground cameras that townships and cities use for security. Perhaps the bandwidth is being sold to google to pay for the equipment and the maintenance. Wonder if private security cams are involved with this.
They have vehicles with cameras oriented in an octagonal array on the roof. They drive around and snap pictures every so many feet. All 8 views are taken simultaneously and the images are later compiled into a panorama. These images get cross referenced against the GPS data from where the vehicle was at the time the photos were taken. Pretty cool stuff.

Fr. Dougal

Holy crap this is cool. How long till it gets integrated into Google Earth?

And how long until we start playing "Spot the ____" games?

Rob

Lingerrring Longerrr
Wackbag Staff
very cool shit...

MJMANDALAY

That is a lot of film. Hope they got a good deal from kodac.