NTSB pushing for national ban on call/text while driving...

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Washington (CNN) -- Federal accident investigators Tuesday called for a nationwide ban on the use of cell phones and text messaging devices while driving.
The recommendation is the most far-reaching yet by the National Transportation Safety Board, which in the past 10 years has increasingly sought to limit the use of portable electronic devices. It has recommended such bans for novice drivers, school bus drivers and commercial truckers.
The new recommendation, if adopted by states, would outlaw non-emergency phone calls and texting by operators of every vehicle on the road.
It would not apply to hand-free devices, or to passengers.

link

Not this shit again...

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
Sep 28, 2006
Northern VA
I have no problem with the intent of what they're saying here, I disagree with the reach they are going for. As a national entity if they want to put restrictions on texting and use of cell phones without hands free on the national highway system I'm fine with that. If they want to reach out to the individual states to promote the states doing the same, I'm fine with that. I am against a complete blanket ban on cell and texting from the national level on all roads though.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Federal laws apply to cops too, right? What about laptops and radios? We can't have police officers violating federal laws.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
And I hope they ban putting on makeup as well when you are driving...

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
It's simply a safety issue. We can't be sure if your cell phone affects the navigation equipment in your vehicle, so it'd just be safer to make it a Federal crime to use said equipment while in use.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
It's called distracted driving. The insurance companies are ones pushing for these types of laws. The injury costs are killing their profit margins.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
The new recommendation, if adopted by states, would outlaw non-emergency phone calls and texting by operators of every vehicle on the road.
So this is just another recommendation? No federal law & no penalties on states that don't adopt it? If that's the case, I really don't care (as long as the legislation is left up to the states and their residents).

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Last year some teenage drivers slammed head first into my parent's car while they were on their way to work. The driver of the car apparently gave the wheel to the passenger so he could put on his shoes. They didn't get charged with anything and that's far worse than someone talking to texting.

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
Sep 28, 2006
Northern VA
Me either. You saw my thoughts in the thread.
Yeah, I had the same thought at first (a la the ole F-14 ruse); only one thing keeps me from believing it though. I just can't see us using an RQ-170; up until now it had largely lived under the shroud. I would have expected a Predator or Reaper if this were a Trojan operation. Who the hell knows though.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Per wiki:

In December 2011, Iranian armed forces captured a RQ-170 flying over their country. The U.S. military has acknowledged losing a RQ-170 in the region and have ordered for it to be returned. The UAV shown on Iranian television appears to be the missing American drone.
That's pretty shocking to me as well. I was thinking it was a Predator or Reaper.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
It's simply a safety issue. We can't be sure if your cell phone affects the navigation equipment in your vehicle, so it'd just be safer to make it a Federal crime to use said equipment while in use.
Apparently it's an even bigger issue. I heard rumors that some Iranians were texting and they jammed up a pretty fancy spy drone's navigation system. :icon_cool

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Why don't they have 8oz of C4 on these drones to blow them up in case of capture?

afternoonquil

Apology Ostrich
Apr 2, 2011
I invented an EMP bomb safety device to get set off if your engine goes past a certain amount of RPMs and it shuts off any electronic devices in your car.
My Chevy volt doesn't run anymore for some reason. My dad said its probably because I'm part Polish. I don't see how lineage effects a cars performance.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
The sad thing is if people used common sense, there wouldn't be a need for a ban.