OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

NY case puts N@ggr use among blacks on trial

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mommadeez4u, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Mommadeez4u

Mommadeez4u Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling

NEW YORK (AP) -- A federal jury has rejected the argument that use of the N-word among blacks can be a culturally acceptable term of love and endearment, deciding its use in the workplace is hostile and discriminatory no matter what.

Jurors last week awarded $250,000 in compensatory damages to a black employment agency worker who was the target of an N-word-laced rant by her black boss, and they return to a Manhattan federal court Tuesday to decide on punitive damages.

The case against Rob Carmona and the employment agency he founded, STRIVE East Harlem, gave legal airing to what some see as a complex double standard surrounding the word: It's a degrading slur when uttered by whites but can be used at times with impunity among blacks.

But 38-year-old Brandi Johnson told jurors that being black didn't make it any less hurtful to be the target of what her attorney called Carmona's "four-minute ****** tirade" about inappropriate workplace attire and unprofessional behavior.

Johnson, who taped the March 2012 remarks after her complaints about his verbal abuse were disregarded, said she fled to the restroom and cried for 45 minutes.

"I was offended. I was hurt. I felt degraded. I felt disrespected. I was embarrassed," Johnson testified.

In closing arguments, Johnson's attorney Marjorie M. Sharpe said Carmona's use of the word was intended to offend "and any evidence that defendants put forth to the contrary is simply ridiculous."

"When you use the word ****** to an African-American, no matter how many alternative definitions that you may try to substitute with the word ******, that is no different than calling a Hispanic by the worst possible word you can call a Hispanic, calling a homosexual male the worst possible word that you can call a homosexual male," Sharpe told jurors.

But defense lawyers said the 61-year-old Carmona, a black man of Puerto Rican descent, had a much different experience with the word. Raised by a single mother in a New York City public housing project, he became addicted to heroin in his teens and broke it with the help of drug counselors who employed tough love and tough language.

Carmona went on to earn a master's degree from Columbia University before co-founding STRIVE in the 1980s. Now, most of STRIVE's employees are black women, defense attorney Diane Krebs told jurors in her opening statement.

"And Mr. Carmona is himself black, as you yourselves can see," Krebs said.

In his testimony, Carmona defended his use of the word, saying he used it with Johnson to convey that she was "too emotional, wrapped up in her, at least the negative aspects of human nature."

Then he explained that the word has "multiple contexts" in the black and Latino communities, sometimes indicating anger, sometimes love.

Carmona said he might put his arm around a longtime friend in the company of another and say: "This is my ****** for 30 years."

"That means my boy, I love him, or whatever," he said.

He was asked if he meant to indicate love when he called Johnson the word.

"Yes, I did," he responded.

The controversy is a blemish on STRIVE, which has been heralded for helping people with troubled backgrounds get into the workforce. Its employment model, which was described in a CBS' "60 Minutes" piece as "part boot camp, part group therapy," claims to have helped nearly 50,000 people find work since 1984.

Sharpe told jurors that STRIVE's tough-love program cannot excuse Carmona's behavior.

"Well, if calling a person a ****** and subjecting them to a hostile work environment is part of STRIVE's tough love, then STRIVE needs to be reminded that this type of behavior is illegal and cannot be tolerated," she said.

mrbucket75 likes this.
  2. mrbucket75

mrbucket75 Registered User

Yay! Finally a push back!

3. steve500

steve500 Registered User

On one hand, you need to get over yourself if you cry for 45 minutes because someone says a word.. but on the other hand, I am glad to see that blacks may be censored as well.

Lord Zero likes this.
  4. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

Patrice Oneal's prediction came true.

5. tattered

tattered Uber-Aryan
    Wackbag Staff

What was it again?

6. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

That going after people that say "nigger" would ultimately end up fucking black people.

7. NuttyJim

NuttyJim Registered User

We're taking it back!!!!

gorram likes this.
  8. Ego

Ego The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head

But, it's one of them giving money to another one of them. Doesn't that neutralize any real social impact?

9. DR. Jimcy M.E.

It sets a ****** precedence for future ****** cases when people are acting in a niggardly fashion. Strike one on the ******s.

10. SatansCheerledr

SatansCheerledr Ideologically Unsound

Word up my Cracka'.

11. Hog's Big Ben

Hog's Big Ben Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
    Donator

Good for the AP for not censoring the article (that's not sarcasm; Wackbag censored it).

Now why couldn't the jury have said, "Grown-ass people suing each other over words? That's why I had to miss work? Y'all ******s need to lighten up. No pun intended."

12. Assholes & Elbows

Assholes & Elbows The Rabbi gets the salary,The Mohel gets the tips

13. Mommadeez4u

Mommadeez4u Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling

as soon as the downtrodden brothers see that there's money to be made being race traitors, they will all start clamoring for their own racism lawsuits against those uppity black bosses. war of all against all, they will eat each other for some free cash payed for courtesy of the taxpayer

14. HandPanzer

HandPanzer in situ

This woman need a taste of some shotgun cake, weak fucking cunt. $250,000 for a word? A fucking word? You're a disgrace.

15. CougarHunter

CougarHunter Lying causes cat piss smell.

Tax Payer?

16. wangznthangz

wangznthangz Registered User

We need to figure out an offensive word for white people so we can get paid too. One of my black friends called me bird shit once. It was horrible/hilarious.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4

17. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

I would add a Sheeeeeeet to the beginning. And make that the official ruling, so the judge has to read it. Insist on a funny intonation.