NY/NJ Port Authority takes control of Stewart Airport in New York

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Stewart International Airport was taken over today by Port Authority officials, who promised to remake the underutilized Hudson Valley airport into a bustling hub for New York City-area travelers.

The three major New York City area airports - Newark Liberty International, John F. Kennedy International and LaGuardia - are struggling with maximum capacity and chronic flight delays.

Port Authority of New York and New Jersey officials hope that Stewart, located in Newburgh, N.Y., about 60 miles north of New York City, will relieve the pressure by luring passengers from the city's northern suburbs and northern New Jersey.

"The Port Authority has the resources and expertise to help Stewart Airport realize its potential as a major transportation hub for this vastly expanding region," said Gov. Eliot Spitzer.

The Port Authority in January agreed to spend $78.5 million to assume a private company's lease to operate the former U.S. Air Force base through 2099.

Agency officials believe Stewart could handle 1.5 million passengers annually, up from about 300,000 last year. That would put a small dent in business for the other three big airports, which handled 103 million passengers last year, but officials say it will ease the pressure.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
Sounds like a plan. Until all the neighbors start bitching about flight paths that don't currently exist.
good point, though I bet that the backlash won't be quite as bad as some jersey towns in the past.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
good point, though I bet that the backlash won't be quite as bad as some jersey towns in the past.
The airport will handle about 1% of the traffic that all 3 major airports handle. That doesn't sound like much, but it's FIVE times the amount of traffic the airport has now. That's five times the car traffic in the area, five times the airplanes flying over head.

I feel for the people that own homes in the area. Their property values must have plummeted over night. However, if you live closer to that airport & you travel, I bet you're doing a happy dance.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
I didn't think of the roads.. That could really suck. Just the fact that it's not so densely populated up there, so there's less chance that people would assemble & complain.. and there is more tree cover anyhow.

Similar issue with Solberg out here by me. The highways are clogged now. If that airport became more of a 'hub', it would be a disaster. I really wouldn't mind the air traffic personally.