NY Post O&A article

June 6, 2001 -- OPIE and Anthony, the racy and rowdy team that some dub "the new Howard Sterns," have signed a mega-buck contract to remain with all-talk WNEW-FM and its parent, Infinity.
The three-year deal, estimated to be worth as much as $30 million, lifts the long-standing prohibition on mentioning Stern's name.

"We're free to talk about whomever and whatever we please on our show," Anthony told The Post, referring to the gag order Stern demanded after a feud between the Infinity radio stars reached the flash point last year.

"That was very important to us as far as moving ahead with the company," insisted Opie.

As well, the new deal also fulfills their often-expressed dream of nationwide syndication. "Opie and Anthony will immediately be heard on 22 Infinity stations in the top 50 markets . . . and eventually in markets outside the company," said WNEW (102.7) general manager Ken Stevens.

"A lot of [radio programmers] sat back in the afternoons and worried about competing in the mornings against Howard," said Anthony. "Now we're competing in a whole new daypart."

Opie promises the essence of their free-wheeling talk show - which took its time slot from nearly worst to first in little more than two years - won't be effected by going national.

"I think it'll get better," Opie pledged. "There will be more to choose from, a general boost of energy."

Opie, a.k.a. Gregg Hughes, and partner Anthony Cumia are expected back today after being off the air since their initial contract expired last Thursday.

MAVRIC305

I speak the human language
"A lot of [radio programmers] sat back in the afternoons and worried about competing in the mornings against Howard," said Anthony. "Now we're competing in a whole new daypart."
I think that is my favorite part of the article. It's like we have been saying all along. Who cares about mornings? Fuck it, O & A have already made afternoons the hot spot on radio. If you ask me.

Thats right personaly i know i dont listen to the radio that much in the mornings. Afternoons is where its at thats when you have everyones attention.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
The mornings suck. I am too busy to listen to the Sports Guys if I wanted to in the morning. And besides, with O&A, I can listen to their whole show from start to finish.
People coming home from work also can hear most of the show also.