NYC Considering a ban on Horse Drawn Carriages

Razor Roman

Save the USH!
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071208/D8TD8SEO0.html

...because people are complaining the horses aren't treated "humanely".

Not a particularaly important thng to most peoples daily lives, but its yet another example of the stupiditiy of people, especially lawmakers, but all throughout life. Rather than deal with the few bad apples, they just take things away completely. Just plain laziness and lack of a spine.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
That sucks. I always thought they were pretty cool. Never noticed any bad treatment.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
I recall them trying to get rid of them in the 80's for the same reason Something about pavement cracking their hooves and not enough light in their stables

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Good. I hate those things. And who takes a cop serious when he rides a fucking horse?
horses are an extremely effective mode of transportation for police, if you have never been intimidated buy a cop on a horse then you have never been on the working side of that team. a cop on a horse has a distinct tactical advantage over one on the ground or even in a car or on a motorcycle. the horse its self is a weapon, yet approachable to most citizens, it provides an elevated point of view and a way to respond quickly no matter were the trouble may be. i encourage there use

as for the carriages eh, i can take them or leave them, i do believe it is nothing more than one or two bad apples that dont take care of there animals and an enforcement system that doesnt want to be bothered doing there jobs

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
horses are an extremely effective mode of transportation for police, if you have never been intimidated buy a cop on a horse then you have never been on the working side of that team. a cop on a horse has a distinct tactical advantage over one on the ground or even in a car or on a motorcycle. the horse its self is a weapon, yet approachable to most citizens, it provides an elevated point of view and a way to respond quickly no matter were the trouble may be. i encourage there use

as for the carriages eh, i can take them or leave them, i do believe it is nothing more than one or two bad apples that dont take care of there animals and an enforcement system that doesnt want to be bothered doing there jobs
I have a question...and purely just wondering...I have heard about criminals that shoot police dogs getting tried for shooting an officer...does the same go for horses?

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
I have a question...and purely just wondering...I have heard about criminals that shoot police dogs getting tried for shooting an officer...does the same go for horses?
yes. if you attack a police horse its the same as assaulting an officer, and if you survive they will charge you

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Horses weren't designed to walk on asphalt/concrete. No matter how elaborate the type of horseshoe used, there's no getting around that.

It's really bad for them. That, combined with the fact that it's 2007 and there is such an inherent danger involving motorized vehicles, makes me agree that it's time for them to go.

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
Sep 27, 2006
staten
Horses weren't designed to walk on asphalt/concrete. No matter how elaborate the type of horseshoe used, there's no getting around that.

It's really bad for them. That, combined with the fact that it's 2007 and there is such an inherent danger involving motorized vehicles, makes me agree that it's time for them to go.
or the fact that they work them for HOURS... you think a fucking horse gets a normal 8 hour day?
Have any of you every seen a horse in the city eat, graze, or drink? I'm not saying they are malnourished but they definitely arent treated good.

Cop horses are a different story IMO

Roman i love ya bro but I think you are way off on this one

Nortonsmeatytit

"That ball is outta here"
Sep 11, 2005
Philly
I had the opportunity to see some Philadelphia cops on horseback work a crazy crowd control situation one time, the beat down they thrust upon some people with batons & billy clubs while on horseback was a spectacle to behold.

Moral of the story is that if you are ever drunk/stupid enough to ever fuck w/a cop on horseback, you deserve the beat down you will ultimately receive.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
I agree that it's not the greatest disposition for a horse. I always thought they we're pretty cool though. I kinda grew up around horses and worked with them for a short time while in school, so I just like them.

If you really put your mind to it, there are ways to prevent serious damage, but I really doubt that the city (or whomever in charge) would take it to the extent that I'm thinking. So in the best interest of the animal, it's a good idea that they are either stopped... or at least downsized pretty heavily.

Horseback cops are a different story.. but the ends justify I guess.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
there is nothing better than watching a platoon of mounted cops stomping a crowd

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Or construct a stable in Central Park, and keep the rides confinded to the Park only. If not, I say ban them.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
they could yoke up some crack heads and vagrants i bet no one would bitch about that......

why can i see CSK with a top hat on driving 6 crack heads like the old western union stage coach

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
they could yoke up some crack heads and vagrants i bet no one would bitch about that......

why can i see CSK with a top hat on driving 6 crack heads like the old western union stage coach
sounds like a perfect idea to resolve prison overpopulation. Some of those animals work out all day anyway.