NYC elects commie, again. Point and laugh harder folks

That'd be great if every road in Indiana wasn't a work zone.
That's pretty much everywhere... Toronto's traffic is just a clusterfuck normally but with what they are doing on the 401 and the new subway line when I went downtown I actually took the subway as going by car would have been silly.

Or drinking Road Sodas....
I don't think many, outside this board o'course, know what a road soda is.

And this speed camera thing is worse than I thought. I thought 750 new cameras.. nope, it's 2000 new cameras. Doesn't have a chance in hell but I appreciate the Reilly putting up the appearance of wanting to fight it.
Island Government: Reilly threatens legal action against school zone speed cameras
CITY HALL -- Assemblyman Michael Reilly (R-South Shore) is pushing back against the expansion of the city’s school zone speed camera program and threatening legal action if the city continues with its plan to install 2,000 cameras.
New York City’s school zone speed camera program underwent a massive expansion on Thursday with as many as 2,000 new cameras being installed.
In a letter to Mayor Bill de Blasio, Department of Transportation Commissioner, Polly Trottenberg, Gov. Andrew Cuomo, Attorney General Letitia James, Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie, and Senate Majority Leader Andrea Stewart-Cousins, Reilly argued that the legislation technically only allows the city to use mobile and stationary speed camera units in up to 750 school zones.
To make his case, Reilly cited New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law 1180(b), which previously stated that a "school speed zone" shall mean a distance not to exceed 1,320 feet on a highway passing a school building, or the entrance or exit of a school building abutting a highway. However, under the new law, a "school speed zone" shall mean a radial distance of 1,320 feet from a school building.
"What this means is that each speed camera unit placed represents just one school speed zone, and that the total number of school zone speed camera units in operation at any one time is limited to 750, not 2,000," said Reilly. "Their interpretation of this law is just flat-out wrong."

And this speed camera thing is worse than I thought. I thought 750 new cameras.. nope, it's 2000 new cameras. Doesn't have a chance in hell but I appreciate the Reilly putting up the appearance of wanting to fight it.
Island Government: Reilly threatens legal action against school zone speed cameras
CITY HALL -- Assemblyman Michael Reilly (R-South Shore) is pushing back against the expansion of the city’s school zone speed camera program and threatening legal action if the city continues with its plan to install 2,000 cameras.
New York City’s school zone speed camera program underwent a massive expansion on Thursday with as many as 2,000 new cameras being installed.
In a letter to Mayor Bill de Blasio, Department of Transportation Commissioner, Polly Trottenberg, Gov. Andrew Cuomo, Attorney General Letitia James, Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie, and Senate Majority Leader Andrea Stewart-Cousins, Reilly argued that the legislation technically only allows the city to use mobile and stationary speed camera units in up to 750 school zones.
To make his case, Reilly cited New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law 1180(b), which previously stated that a "school speed zone" shall mean a distance not to exceed 1,320 feet on a highway passing a school building, or the entrance or exit of a school building abutting a highway. However, under the new law, a "school speed zone" shall mean a radial distance of 1,320 feet from a school building.
"What this means is that each speed camera unit placed represents just one school speed zone, and that the total number of school zone speed camera units in operation at any one time is limited to 750, not 2,000," said Reilly. "Their interpretation of this law is just flat-out wrong."
Well in Ontario it cost a government an election... when they brought speed cameras in. Doubt that will happen in NYC though...

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
That's pretty much everywhere... Toronto's traffic is just a clusterfuck normally but with what they are doing on the 401 and the new subway line when I went downtown I actually took the subway as going by car would have been silly.
Forget driving there. Was in Toronto for a week in April. There's some 6 lane highway that runs by downtown. Took us an hour and a half on a Thursday around 1pm to go from the Airport to St Lawrence Market area. I could have biked it faster.

Forget driving there. Was in Toronto for a week in April. There's some 6 lane highway that runs by downtown. Took us an hour and a half on a Thursday around 1pm to go from the Airport to St Lawrence Market area. I could have biked it faster.
Well by my parents place it is 16 lanes and the busiest highway in North America... and ya you were on the Don Valley Parkway (aka Don Valley Parking Lot wacka wacka ick) only noobs use that during peak periods...

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

What they do in Maryland is put the speed cameras up, then lower the speed limit in front of the school, then enforce the speed limit at all times, it’s a cash cow

What they do in Maryland is put the speed cameras up, then lower the speed limit in front of the school, then enforce the speed limit at all times, it’s a cash cow
Yep basically another tax... trying to remember this town in Florida that basically expanded its border so there is a 200 yard stretch of highway in their town so they could drop the speed to say 30 from a 55 in that stretch and dinged people for speeding for years.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
NY Sergeants Benevolent Association and ICE.. Hey Wilhelm..
See? Just because your mayor is a cunt, that doesn't mean the cops have to follow his lead.

I'm looking right at you, Portland and Seattle.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
See? Just because your mayor is a cunt, that doesn't mean the cops have to follow his lead.

I'm looking right at you, Portland and Seattle.
I'm really interested to see where union support goes in the next election. Of course democrats will retain education and medical unions, but what about labor and law enforcement? The current economy is definitely helping out labor (and I doubt welders and masons want open borders), and Democrats have been shitting all over law enforcement for years.

I'm really interested to see where union support goes in the next election. Of course democrats will retain education and medical unions, but what about labor and law enforcement? The current economy is definitely helping out labor (and I doubt welders and masons want open borders), and Democrats have been shitting all over law enforcement for years.
Can't win. Go short-term and take an anti-dem stand and lose long-term as dems run the city. 1/3rd of PD lives in Long Island anyway and doesn't vote local.

Nationally, education always goes dem. Labor is split. TWU (transit union) went Hillary. The FOP went Trump as Hillary didn't respond to their questionaire. Play nice with the local politicians and endorse their canidate or go against them and wager. Last election looked like a guaranteed D until the miracle for ICE occurred.

2020 should will def be interesting.

mascan42

A good quarter of Manhattan has had no power for the past 4 hours, and Wilhelm? He's in Iowa. And he gets on the phone with the local news and tells his city that he doesn't see any reason to come back.

Wonder how much this will cost... a lot. Well good thing they can just keep raising taxes on you suckers...

New York City Adopts ‘Culturally Responsive’ Education in Schools
Panel votes on chancellor’s plan to create more diverse learning environment

New York City Schools Chancellor Richard "Fuck WIPO" Carranza, center, defends the policy of “culturally responsive-sustaining education” during a meeting Wednesday in lower Manhattan. PHOTO: CLAUDIO PAPAPIETRO FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

New York City on Wednesday formally adopted a policy of “culturally responsive-sustaining education,” which has set off a debate about what should be taught in public schools, and how.

For some parents, Chancellor Richard Carranza’s push for more curriculum honoring diverse students’ experiences is a welcome step toward inclusion.

For others, his policy marks another example of how his intense focus on race, class and equity can distract from the urgent need to teach basic math, reading and science.

The city’s Panel for Educational Policy, a group of mostly mayoral appointees, voted unanimously to approve the chancellor’s call for schools to embrace his formal definition of “culturally responsive” education. Eleven members voted yes and two weren’t present.

Mr. Carranza has argued forcefully for desegregating schools and fighting bias. The vote comes after months of conflict about admissions to eight specialized public high schools. The chancellor is lobbying Albany lawmakers to scrap the entrance test to better integrate them. Defenders of the test say the chancellor’s rhetoric has pitted parents from different backgrounds against each other.

About 100 parents showed up at a meeting that was at times raucous on Wednesday in Chinatown, with supporters waving signs saying “My culture matters” (Actually no it doesn't you are supposed to assimilate fuckhead) and “CRSE 4 NYC.” Critics of the chancellor, including many Asian parents, held signs saying “Fire Carranza.” At one point, the crowd burst into competing chants.

Opponents of the New York City Department of Education's policy of “culturally responsive-sustaining education” at the Wednesday meeting. PHOTO: CLAUDIO PAPAPIETRO FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

Chinese parents were upset and insulted to find there was a Spanish translator but no Chinese translator, which they said showed the department didn’t care about their voices. The department scrambled to find one, delaying the meeting by two hours. A spokeswoman said the agency was investigating what happened and will ensure it doesn’t happen again.

The one-page definition of “culturally responsive” education says students’ varied perspectives—whether tied to nationality, religion, race or other backgrounds—should be seen as essential assets. It also requires schools to “foster critical consciousness about historical and contemporary forms of bias and oppression.”

Schools should “identify and interrupt policies and practices that center historically advantaged social/cultural groups and lead to predictable outcomes of success or failure for historically marginalized students,” it says.

Some parents and teachers applaud this effort, saying students learn critical thinking by exploring biases and reading diverse authors who may not be traditional, mainstream choices. But others express concern about the chancellor’s priorities for a sprawling system for 1.1 million students, where most children can’t read or do math on grade level.

“The ideas that undergird this proposal are sometimes offered in lieu of academic solutions and helping kids do better in core subjects,” said Maud Maron, president of the Community Education Council for District 2 in Manhattan, who is running for City Council. “Of course you should see books that reflect your family of origin, race and gender, but that doesn’t help you learn to read if nobody is helping you learn to read.”

A report from the NYC Coalition for Educational Justice, which advocates for culturally responsive education, found that while 67% of the city’s public-school students are black or Latino, about 84% of authors of commonly used books in elementary schools are white.

Robert Osborne, parent from Manhattan at the meeting, said his son is mixed-race and it was “important for him to read books about people who look and sound like him. To not hear that means he only hears from the dominant culture.”
Some parents said the department had allowed them too little time to scrutinize a proposal that seemed vague and they needed to see more research on the impact of this approach.
“There must be solid scientific evidence of positive outcomes,” said Yiatin Chu, a parent. “We should not make our 1.1 million children into lab rats.”
For decades, schools nationwide have sought to get students excited about learning through lessons that reflect their own lives. Even so, families and teachers have long been unclear on exactly what culturally responsive education means.
Department of Education officials say it means high expectations for all, and making schoolwork relatable, such as explaining velocity to city children through examples of subways rather than sailboats. They note the new definition reflects guidance released by the state last year.
“Research shows that when students see themselves and their peers reflected in the books they read and the lessons they learn, academic outcomes improve,” said Linda Chen, the city’s chief academic officer, by email.

Comments filed with the city expressed a range of concerns, according to a Department of Education summary. One commenter said the policy “should name the role of ‘whiteness’ in the system of inequities.” Another said defining students by race is “divisive and inappropriately political.” Another said that practices likely to flow from the policy would be biased against white and Asian students.

Some teachers say they have long sought to provide culturally responsive education, and Wednesday’s step validates their efforts.

To Ife Damon, a high-school teacher in Staten Island, the strategy means letting students’ interests drive their work so they become more engaged. Her students have chosen research projects on police brutality, the opioid crisis and LGBTQ rights. When they studied literary devices, they analyzed lyrics in their favorite rap songs. Ms. Damon said she would be comfortable if students left high school without exposure to Shakespeare.

“Is it that we want students to analyze information or is it that we want them to know a particular piece of writing?” she asked.

“I’m not married to content, I’m married to students.”

Christopher Emdin, an associate professor of science at Teachers College, Columbia University, started a competition for low-income students to write and perform rap songs about science. “Once they’re motivated and excited, magical things happen,” he said. “They want to study more.”
Link

Oh this is why there are only 6% of bleck writers in the curriculum... cuz only 6% of the writers are bleck... idiot.

You don't think if they had a chance deh be wantin all de books to be writen by blecks...

To Ife Damon, a high-school teacher in Staten Island, the strategy means letting students’ interests drive their work so they become more engaged. Her students have chosen research projects on police brutality, the opioid crisis and LGBTQ rights. When they studied literary devices, they analyzed lyrics in their favorite rap songs. Ms. Damon said she would be comfortable if students left high school without exposure to Shakespeare.
The common curse of mankind, folly and ignorance, be thine in great revenue, Ms. Damon. I dare say, she takes after another Damon with whom I'm familiar...

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
DeBlasio is on Hannity now. Bill is so smug & hateable, its easy to see why he's detested by almost everyone

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
DeBlasio is on Hannity now. Bill is so smug & hateable , its easy to see why he's detested by almost everyone
He's coming across pretty good compared to the Longwinded Interrupting Faggot across from him. This is just noise. Hannity is completely incapable of having a conversation with someone that has an opposing viewpoint. Which is understandable, because it only happens about once a year.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
I'll be impressed if this fuckface can squeeze in a mention of Hillary's emails.

jnoble

DeBlasio is completely dead from the neck up on economics

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
I guess someone enjoys Hannity. He destroys in the ratings.

jnoble

I guess someone enjoys Hannity. He destroys in the ratings.
I'm only watching because I'm surprised a guy like DeBlasio agreed to an interview. But normally right after Tucker is over I watch something else because Hannity is annoying