NYC Overwhelmed by Scourge of Illegal, Underground Dinner Parties

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
This is the ultimate crime of the fancy, gentleman scofflaw.

http://reason.com/blog/2013/09/11/new-york-city-overwhelmed-by-scourge-of
Reason.com said:
New York City Overwhelmed by Scourge of Illegal, Underground Dinner Parties
Scott Shackford | Sep. 11, 2013 9:00 pm

Folks in the Big Apple are illegally eating things! The CBS affiliate in New York City today uncovered the scary, secret world of illegal, underground dinner parties.

No, this is not a joke or a parody, though it will really feel like one for the first few seconds of the clip. The news casters treat this situation with the same slightly amazed and shocked tone that they use when they cover the "underground world of raves." You know which story I'm talking about. Every local news affiliate runs one every sweeps period. Here's some of the text, but I can't really do the reading justice:
The diners are a mix of New Yorkers and tourists. CBS 2’s undercover cameras captured one experience — eight people who didn’t know each other eating a meal in a stranger’s home.

That hostess, Naama Shafi, writes about food but is not a chef. [Reporter Tamara] Leitner found her through a website, which connects amateur foodies and professional chefs in 20 different countries with people who want unique dining experiences.

Clandestine dinner parties like the one Leitner attended have become more common in New York City. And insiders told Leitner they are completely unregulated.
Undercover cameras, y'all. If you've watched enough local news you should be able to hear the slight alarm in the reporter's voice in your head when she uses words like "stranger's home" and "completely unregulated." But I encourage you to watch the whole thing. It gets both funnier but also infinitely maddening when they bring in a consulting firm made up of retired health inspectors who now make a living advising restaurants on how to comply with the regulations they used to enforce. They weigh in on the illegality of the whole thing, and then the reporter returns to tell Shafi how illegal it is that she's having dinner parties. She could be fined $2,000.

(Hat tip to Fish)

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Clandestine dinner parties like the one Leitner attended have become more common in New York City. And insiders told Leitner they are completely unregulated.
So now eating dinner at home with other people needs to be regulated?

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
Don posted about this on facebook and I was about to come here and post this. These rat reporters don't have anything better to report on? Jesus Christ. Fucking rats, whole family is rats.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002

What they are once again blowing out of proportion is "how dangerous" they are, a lot of times the things on the menu are not allowed in commercial resturants, some times its un taxed wine, or game meat or even some kind of stinky. Foot cheese smuggled in from out of town also the food nazis love to cry about "unsanitary conditions" or improper storage. Bullshit like that. Also its a matter of paying for the meal. Attending those partys is quite expensive

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Is Carmine Sabatini throwing these parties?
If so, when is he serving the Kimodo Dragon?

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
It's all about the money. Nobody's making any off it but
the cook and that will never do in today's world.
That and all the "illegal food."

Mags

LDAR king
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
Yep. NYC is overwhelmed! I don't know how anything gets done in this city with this stuff going on.

It's overwhelming!!!

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
Is there a gang bang at the end or one of those Eyes Wide Shut ceremonies?

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
In my city, we would keep the Foie Gras traffic in the dark people, the coloreds. They're animals anyway, so let them lose their souls.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
Jew York City: You Need A Jew To Tell You What To Do Do.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Fucking rats, whole family is rats.
"You know this guy? You have dinner parties at his house? If another dinner party happens at this guy's house, in the fucking oven you're gonna go head first."

"What am I? A chef on wheels?"
In my city, we would keep the Foie Gras traffic in the dark people, the coloreds. They're animals anyway, so let them lose their souls.
"I like untaxed wine more than I used to."
"It's good for ya, Pop."

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
"You know this guy? You have dinner parties at his house? If another dinner party happens at this guy's house, in the fucking oven you're gonna go head first."

"What am I? A chef on wheels?"

"I like untaxed wine more than I used to."
"It's good for ya, Pop."
"I need, Don Corleone, all of those recipes that you carry around in your pocket, like so many nickels and dimes."

May 30, 2013
Go fuck yourself NYC, you nanny cesspool.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
"I need, Don Corleone, all of those recipes that you carry around in your pocket, like so many nickels and dimes."
"Luca Brasi held a baguette to his head and my father assured him that either his brains or his homemade apple dumplings would be on the plate."

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
"Luca Brasi held a baguette to his head and my father assured him that either his brains or his homemade apple dumplings would be on the plate.
"He was eating shrimp cocktails two at a time!"

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
"I already fed him. He's full. I've fed a thousand young punks."
"It's as cold as they come, impossible to trace. So you don't have to worry about prints, Mike. I put a special tape on the knife and the fork."