Nymphomaniac

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Caution: Horrible jokes.

Better? Dude gets good info.

'Nymphomaniac' Gets US Distribution, Won't Go to Cannes, Will Have This Threesome

February 12, 2013 / charlotte gainsbourg, lars von trier, movie, news, nymphomaniac, peter aalbaek jensen

Lars von Trier's Nymphomaniac has been getting a lot of press for its inclusion of unsimulated intercourse between some notable cast members, but as everyone knows all too well, hardcore sex acts don't mean a thing if there isn't some way to anonymously leer at them. Thankfully, Magnolia Pictures is probably going to take care of that for us.

Deadline reports that the New York-based distributor is likely the one uneasily taking on domestic rights for Nymphomaniac, their $2 million bid easily topping what Vivid Entertainment was offering to sell the film as Hot Shia LaBeouf-Christian Slater SeXXX Tape.

Producer Peter Aalbæk Jensen last December said the movie would be divided into two parts, with each part being edited into a hardcore and Cinemax-safe cuts, and assumedly Magnolia will be putting out the latter versions, the squares. Those looking for the original, uncensored version will just have to wait for the Wet, Wild & Tearful Unrated Edition to hit shelves.

Jensen at that time also said the films should be ready for this year's Cannes, but has since updated Cineuropa (via) with news that they won't be finished in time. The producer explained, "Four editors were working around the clock to meet the Cannes deadline, but we had to give it up - after 268 script pages, 11 weeks of shooting and with 100 hours of material it would have been **** to finish the two films in time for the festival." Which is just as well, as it's not like Lars von Trier is allowed in Cannes anyway, and casually tossing around **** analogies probably isn't going to help things.

Meanwhile, over in the UK, ArtificialEye is handling distribution, and they recently tweeted this new still from the film (above), showing titular star Charlotte Gainsbourg with a dead stare, an anxious, clenched fist, and a couple lascivious dudes. Looks like another wild and wacky sex romp from Lars von Trier!
http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2013/02/nymphomaniac-gets-us-distribution-wont-g.php

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Lars von Trier is probably in my top 5 directors working today. Definitely in my top 10. Always looking forward to see what he's doing next.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Lars von Trier is probably in my top 5 directors working today. Definitely in my top 10. Always looking forward to see what he's doing next.
I don't think I've ever seen a LVT movie. He always seemed like someone who I wouldn't like, but maybe I'm being an idiot. Gimme like a top 5 films I should check out.

icculus1284

May 16, 2007
Fort Collins
Didn't he do Antichrist?

There was penetration in that one. And some other pretty graphic genital mutilation.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I don't think I've ever seen a LVT movie. He always seemed like someone who I wouldn't like, but maybe I'm being an idiot. Gimme like a top 5 films I should check out.
Dogville
Antichrist
Melancholia
Dancer in the Dark
The Kingdom (it's a two-season Danish TV miniseries, but I don't know if you'd be into TV miniseries from that land)

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Dogville
Antichrist
Melancholia
Dancer in the Dark
The Kingdom (it's a two-season Danish TV miniseries, but I don't know if you'd be into TV miniseries from that land)
I watched The Kingdom years ago. I didn't know that was him. I don't remember too much about it, though. But I'll check all this out. I do know at least something about all of these movies.

Also apparent - you like newer Von Trier as opposed to older Von Trier.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I watched The Kingdom years ago. I didn't know that was him.
There was also a US remake called Kingdom Hospital (well, Steven King's Kingdom Hospital). The original is in native Dutchian.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
There was also a US remake called Kingdom Hospital (well, Steven King's Kingdom Hospital). The original is in native Dutchian.
Yeah, it was kinda sepia toned and had ghosts and shit (the original, not the King one).

I think I need to start filling some gaps in my cinema knowledge. Like I gotta watch a bunch of Hitchcock, for example. Or I just got my hands on Rashomon. I resisted old cinema for the longest time but I think I'm getting over that mental break recently.

lockjaaaaww

All out of Bubble Gum.
Apr 26, 2008
bohemia, ny
LVT is one of those directors you can instantly tell one of their films just by listening to the plot. If it's dark, depressing, and or controversial then it's probably LVT.

lockjaaaaww

All out of Bubble Gum.
Apr 26, 2008
bohemia, ny

also check out Europa and the element of crime. Two very good visual films.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Is that Lily from R+F?

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
Dogville would have been great if he didn't shoot it art-fag-style. The plot was decent, the writing was great, the ending was awesome....the set was fucking retarded.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Dogville would have been great if he didn't shoot it art-fag-style. The plot was decent, the writing was great, the ending was awesome....the set was fucking retarded.
The set was part of why the movie was so great.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
I've seen enough to know I fucking hate this movie.
Everyone always acts so fucking awkward in his films. It's like they want the prestige of being in his movies, but are really fucking uncomfortable and clueless towards the story.

f kane

Known Traffic Menace
Feb 10, 2010
Von Trier=trying to hard to be controversial poorly disguised as high brow artsy-fartsy anti americanism

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Just watched this shit again. Whoring bed eh? Way to be witty. Force the art in. Those kids look so uncomfortable. Like if they just showed up for an hour and did what they were told they would get a new Xbox game.