OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

NYPD Detective secretly recorded by murder suspect faces charges

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MJMANDALAY, Dec 10, 2007.

MJMANDALAY Registered User

Jan 26, 2005
    NEW YORK (AP) - A teenage suspect who secretly recorded his interrogation on an MP3 player has landed a veteran detective in the middle of perjury charges, authorities said Thursday.

Unaware of the recording, Detective Christopher Perino testified in April that the suspect "wasn't questioned" about a shooting in the Bronx, a criminal complaint said. But then the defense confronted the detective with a transcript it said proved he had spent more than an hour unsuccessfully trying to persuade Erik Crespo to confess - at times with vulgar tactics.

Once the transcript was revealed in court, prosecutors asked for a recess, defense attorney Mark DeMarco said. The detective was pulled from the witness stand and advised to get a lawyer.

Perino, 42, was arraigned Thursday on 12 counts of first-degree perjury and faces as many as seven years on each count, prosecutors said. He was released on $15,000 bail.

His attorney did not immediately respond to a telephone message seeking comment Thursday. A New York Police Department spokesman declined to comment.

The allegations "put the safety of all law-abiding citizens at risk because they undermine the integrity and foundation of the entire criminal justice system," District Attorney Robert Johnson said in a statement.

Perino had arrested Crespo on New Year's Eve 2005 while investigating the shooting of a man in an elevator. While in an interrogation room at a station house, Crespo, then 17, stealthily pressed the record button on the MP3 player, a Christmas gift, DeMarco said.

After Crespo was charged with attempted murder, his family surprised DeMarco by playing him the recording.

"I couldn't believe my ears," said the lawyer, who decided to keep the recording under wraps until he cross-examined Perino at the trial.

Prosecutors then offered Crespo, who had faced as many as 25 years if convicted, seven years if he pleaded guilty to a weapons charge. He accepted.
  2. weakside

weakside He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.

Dec 9, 2004
    Slick on the kid’s part and dumb on the cop's. You can't lie in court, and that was a big one.

I’m glad the cop got caught because the few bad ones destroy the respect and credibility of the vast number of the good ones.
  3. TreeFortRichard

Jun 30, 2005
    that's exactly it...you only help the criminals when you lie in court b/c every other guilty piece of shit that this guy put away is 2 weeks from an appeal
  4. Ego

Ego The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head

Feb 15, 2005

I think I told the story on here before about how my twat grandmother called the cops on me one night just because I wouldn't turn on her tv. By the time the cops arrived, she had thought of a few more things to say to them, and they were pretty interested in talking to me by then. Fortunately for me, I knew months in advance that something like this was bound to happen eventually. So, anytime I had to be within ten feet of her, I had a recorder running. Lots of stuff had happened by that night, and I had a lot on tape. When they came and started asking me questions about the things she was saying, I just pushed play. In five minutes, the cop had heard enough. He just told me that I obviously was in a bad situation and advised me to get out as soon as possible. He then proceeded to give my grandmother a most excellent verbal thrashing, and walked out.