NYPD Officer Andre Jeter docked 10 vacation days for 2009 pit bull shooting

A Brooklyn cop was docked 10 vacation days for firing too many shots at a pit bull that charged him and his partner, the Daily News has learned.

Officer Andre Jeter recently pleaded guilty to departmental charges rather than face an NYPD trial that could have resulted in a stiffer penalty.

“It is an unusually heavy penalty for a dog shooting,” said a police source familiar with the case. “But it shows how they go over every shooting with a fine-tooth comb.”

It was June 8, 2009, when Jeter and his partner, Officer Ansari Kalil were patrolling the Breukelen Houses in Canarsie.

After learning about a threat to a man made by a pit bull owner, the officers went into a building and followed the suspect up the stairs and toward the roof.

“When they opened the door to the roof the pit bull charges out and jumps on [Kalil], knocking him to the ground and biting him on the wrist,” said Deputy Inspector Kim Royster, an NYPD spokeswoman. “The officer struggled with the dog and gets the dog off him, but now the officers can’t get the door open.

“The dog heads up the stairs towards them and that’s when they fire.”

Kalil fired two shots and Jeter three.

The dog fell to the ground, but was still alive.

Jeter then fired two more shots, killing the animal.

The NYPD, as it does with every shooting involving an officer, reviewed the case and brought charges against Jeter for firing the last two shots when he was “no longer in danger.”

Jeter, who joined the NYPD in 2006, did not respond to a request for comment, and his lawyer had no comment. Kalil was not charged.

Last year, police were involved in 30 animal shootings involving 32 dogs and one raccoon. Nineteen dogs were killed and nine cops were bitten.

In 2009, 34 officers fired their guns in 28 different animal incidents, all involving dogs. Fifteen of those dogs were killed and three cops were bitten.
Link

Ummm how about putting the dog out of it's misery... would warrant the extra rounds... yeesh.

OccupyWackbag

Fucking pigs. The dog was only charging them to lick their faces. But seriously why is this guy in any trouble at all? Its a fucking animal. It attacked so he shot and then had the human decency to put the animal out of its misery.

Commons sense is dead.

But seriously why is this guy in any trouble at all? Its a fucking animal. It attacked so he shot and then had the human decency to put the animal out of its misery.

Commons sense is dead.
They're not allowed to make that judgement call and they're only allowed to use their firearms for self defense. Allowing this would set a precedent that they don't want to deal with, so he got docked some vacation time. Morally I don't think he did anything wrong.

I don't think common sense was ever really alive.

Dikbag

They dog was down and no longer a risk. putting it out of it's misery I would agree with normally, but firing 2 more rounds into a roof seems like an unnecessary risk.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
They dog was down and no longer a risk. putting it out of it's misery I would agree with normally, but firing 2 more rounds into a roof seems like an unnecessary risk.
That's what I was thinking as well. Kid can jump in on this, but I think the officer's intentions to stop the animal from suffering were negated by the risk of a bullet penetrating the roof and causing additional property damage or possibly causing an injury.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Yeah. If he did it to put it down, he was doing a noble thing. But considering
he was on the roof of the bldg there's a risk of a bullet going thru the roof.
That's a risk he shouldn't take considering the dog was no longer was a threat.

Edit: Too late.... I agree with Motor Head. ;)

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
I had to go back and read the story... the last few comments of a cop shooting a dog on the roof of a building threw me a little bit. Just seemed like a weird place to encounter a dog.

The dog heads up the stairs towards them and that’s when they fire.
Kinda sounds like the dog was in the stairwell, which is a little better since the chance of penetration into a residence is less. It's better to put the dog down but depending on the backdrop I agree it's not worth injuring a person.

I had to go back and read the story... the last few comments of a cop shooting a dog on the roof of a building threw me a little bit. Just seemed like a weird place to encounter a dog.

Kinda sounds like the dog was in the stairwell, which is a little better since the chance of penetration into a residence is less. It's better to put the dog down but depending on the backdrop I agree it's not worth injuring a person.
In certain neighborhoods in NYC, it wouldn't be weird to encounter a dog on the roof.

NuttyJim

It all depends on what NYPD's Use of Force policies are in regards to the Officers punishment.

kidconnor

55gallon hog
From what I understand the 2 rounds when the dog was down lost him 10 days. No threat = no shooting.

And one more thing. This whole 3 shots and assess shit was never taught before the commisioner said it after the bell shooting. I never understood how that lie was put out there and, seemingly, never challenged. To control the line at the range we take 3 shots and holster or 3 shots and cover the target.. sometimes... Sometimes 5 shots. The word assess was never said and it was only to keep 20 cops firing all willy nilly.. It has nothing to do with this but it still pissed me off to this day. Well it kind of relates to this because you shoot until there us no more threat. So I guess it applies here.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
Maybe the dog was packing heat. You never know. You gotta keep blasting until the threat is neutralized. Amirite?

Slingin' lead-uh!