OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

NYPD Officer Andre Jeter docked 10 vacation days for 2009 pit bull shooting

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stevethrower, Jan 5, 2012.

1. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Link

Ummm how about putting the dog out of it's misery... would warrant the extra rounds... yeesh.

2. OccupyWackbag

OccupyWackbag Registered User

Fucking pigs. The dog was only charging them to lick their faces. But seriously why is this guy in any trouble at all? Its a fucking animal. It attacked so he shot and then had the human decency to put the animal out of its misery.

Commons sense is dead.

3. LastDeadMouse

LastDeadMouse WWRBD?

They're not allowed to make that judgement call and they're only allowed to use their firearms for self defense. Allowing this would set a precedent that they don't want to deal with, so he got docked some vacation time. Morally I don't think he did anything wrong.

I don't think common sense was ever really alive.

4. Dikbag

Dikbag Registered User

They dog was down and no longer a risk. putting it out of it's misery I would agree with normally, but firing 2 more rounds into a roof seems like an unnecessary risk.

5. Motor Head

Motor Head HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL

That's what I was thinking as well. Kid can jump in on this, but I think the officer's intentions to stop the animal from suffering were negated by the risk of a bullet penetrating the roof and causing additional property damage or possibly causing an injury.

6. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 In The Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

Yeah. If he did it to put it down, he was doing a noble thing. But considering
    he was on the roof of the bldg there's a risk of a bullet going thru the roof.
    That's a risk he shouldn't take considering the dog was no longer was a threat.

Edit: Too late.... I agree with Motor Head. ;)

7. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home.

It was a pit bull. Fuck em.

8. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

I had to go back and read the story... the last few comments of a cop shooting a dog on the roof of a building threw me a little bit. Just seemed like a weird place to encounter a dog.

Kinda sounds like the dog was in the stairwell, which is a little better since the chance of penetration into a residence is less. It's better to put the dog down but depending on the backdrop I agree it's not worth injuring a person.

9. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home.

In certain neighborhoods in NYC, it wouldn't be weird to encounter a dog on the roof.

10. NuttyJim

NuttyJim Registered User

It all depends on what NYPD's Use of Force policies are in regards to the Officers punishment.

11. kidconnor

kidconnor 55gallon hog

From what I understand the 2 rounds when the dog was down lost him 10 days. No threat = no shooting.

And one more thing. This whole 3 shots and assess shit was never taught before the commisioner said it after the bell shooting. I never understood how that lie was put out there and, seemingly, never challenged. To control the line at the range we take 3 shots and holster or 3 shots and cover the target.. sometimes... Sometimes 5 shots. The word assess was never said and it was only to keep 20 cops firing all willy nilly.. It has nothing to do with this but it still pissed me off to this day. Well it kind of relates to this because you shoot until there us no more threat. So I guess it applies here.

12. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

Five days for each excess shot. Ouch.

13. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

Maybe the dog was packing heat. You never know. You gotta keep blasting until the threat is neutralized. Amirite?

Slingin' lead-uh!

14. OccupyWackbag

OccupyWackbag Registered User

Ha, that made me laugh.