BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
NYU student replies-all to 40,000 classmates, sparking ‘Replyallcalypse’

By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo! News | The Lookout – 10 hrs ago

Nicolas Cage (Getty Images)
We've all been there.
Max Wiseltier, a sophomore at New York University, was simply trying to forward an email from the Bursar's Office to his mother on Monday. Instead, Wiseltier accidentally hit "reply to all," cc'ing 39,979 of his fellow NYU students in the process.

Wiseltier, realizing what he had done, fired off a quick apology. But his email "triggered a rare, University-wide revelation," Kelly Weill wrote in NYU Local, the student newspaper. "We simultaneously realized that any message, complaint, whim, link, video, or GIF could be sent to nearly 40,000 people in an instant."

And thousands of students did.

"So, how is everyone today?" wrote one.

"Does anyone have a pencil I could borrow?" wrote another.

"Would you rather fight 100 duck sized horses, or 1 horse sized duck?" another asked.

A visually inclined student simply attached a photo of Nicolas Cage, which 40,000 students now share and can enjoy whenever they want.
Weill writes:
We had been given a great and terrible power. For a moment we contemplated responsibility, then gleefully tossed it aside in favor of posting pictures of cats. The ensuing hours were referred to as "The Reply-Allpocalypse," "The Day NYU Broke," and "Will Everyone Please Just Shut Up."​
How exactly did they obtain such power? It turns out that David Vogelsang, who works at the NYU Student Resource Center, accidentally used the wrong listserv software to send out the innocuous email that sparked the inundation.

"Hi everyone," Vogelsang wrote. "I'm the culprit behind the Lyris blunder. I was assisting the Bursar with an email message and in populating one of the SRC Listserves did not realize the list I was using was one that allowed for responses and thus the 'replyallcalypse.'"

He added: "I take full responsibility for this blunder and offer my sincere apologies for the frustrating situation that was created."
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout...RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I skimmed this last night on Gawker.
I'm still not sure how you can reply-all to one of these emails, seems like a software error, no?
Second, who are these people getting upset that are "Trying to study"? Just don't check your email, or delete them.
Uptight Asians.

Nov 29, 2006
FL
I skimmed this last night on Gawker.
I'm still not sure how you can reply-all to one of these emails, seems like a software error, no?
Second, who are these people getting upset that are "Trying to study"? Just don't check your email, or delete them.
Uptight Asians.
Listen up, Hippie... when you hit reply all, it sends your reply to all original recipients. :wavyguy:

mrfarstucker

Apr 24, 2006
NH (Seacoast Region)
Listen up, Hippie... when you hit reply all, it sends your reply to all original recipients. :wavyguy:
At my school the mailing lists were all moderated. A "students@school.edu" email address existed and could send email to all students... but it would only forward the email to all students if a specified password was present in the message.

It sounds like whoever setup this email list didn't set it up correctly, and allowed everyone to respond thus sending email to everyone on the mailing list.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Yeah, there's no way that you should be able to hit "Reply-All" on a college Email like that.
I remember getting those emails all the time. You're telling me that out of 35,000 students nobody ever hit reply-all, even just to be a dick?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
How can you mistakenly hit Reply All when you're trying to forward an email? I can understand doing it accidentally if you want to just reply to the one person, but forwarding is an entirely different operation.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Yeah, there's no way that you should be able to hit "Reply-All" on a college Email like that.
I remember getting those emails all the time. You're telling me that out of 35,000 students nobody ever hit reply-all, even just to be a dick?
It was an administration computer.

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
I get crap like this at work all the time whenever someone sends an e-mail to the wrong list. It always starts with someone hitting "Reply All" instead of "Reply" to let the sender know they shouldn't have received the e-mail. You'd think people with college degrees would understand that hitting "Reply All" to tell the other 50 people who have already hit "Reply All" to stop hitting "Reply All" doesn't work. I can't imagine how stupid you have to be to think replying to everyone with a message like, "Please don't select Reply All, it's clogging up everyone's Inbox," is not part of the problem--especially when you're replying to someone else sending the exact same message. In one very special case, it lasted for 2 days because the first message came close to the end of the day. Then, 2 weeks later, someone else decided to reply to the original message for some reason and it started all over again. How my company is doing well with idiots like that working here is a mystery to me.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Goddamn those students are hilarious. '1 horse sized dick'.. ROFL and that Cage pic is EPIC of Chuck Norris proportions!!!

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Goddamn those students are hilarious. '1 horse sized dick'.. ROFL and that Cage pic is EPIC of Chuck Norris proportions!!!
You know the best stuff wasn't in the article. How many dick pics were sent?

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
You know the best stuff wasn't in the article. How many dick pics were sent?
I know.. What is it clown college? Hey, they're just having a little fun. Lightin' up McPeterSnitch.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I get crap like this at work all the time whenever someone sends an e-mail to the wrong list. It always starts with someone hitting "Reply All" instead of "Reply" to let the sender know they shouldn't have received the e-mail. You'd think people with college degrees would understand that hitting "Reply All" to tell the other 50 people who have already hit "Reply All" to stop hitting "Reply All" doesn't work. I can't imagine how stupid you have to be to think replying to everyone with a message like, "Please don't select Reply All, it's clogging up everyone's Inbox," is not part of the problem--especially when you're replying to someone else sending the exact same message. In one very special case, it lasted for 2 days because the first message came close to the end of the day. Then, 2 weeks later, someone else decided to reply to the original message for some reason and it started all over again. How my company is doing well with idiots like that working here is a mystery to me.

Yep... at my chicks place she gets someone sending a message to the entire agency with something to the effect... there is free pizza in the lunch room... or did someone leave a set of keys in the bathroom etc... I think she told me someone sent an email to the entire Federal Government or at least the entire executive branch or something... whoops.

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
According to NYU Local's Ben Zweig, Reply-Allpocalypse occurred because several NYU departments still rely an "older, discussion-based ListManager program," which sends mass emails, "but allows discussions (in the form of reply-alls), unless the settings are adjusted."
Think about how much college tuition costs and then read that again. It's infuriating that any college worth anything would use outdated technology for e-mail. If that technology isn't up to date, then how can anyone paying to go there feel confident that they're using recent technology in their classes and won't end up being the office idiot who can' t figure out the software at their new job because it's 2 versions newer than what they used last semester in school?

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Think about how much college tuition costs and then read that again. It's infuriating that any college worth anything would use outdated technology for e-mail. If that technology isn't up to date, then how can anyone paying to go there feel confident that they're using recent technology in their classes and won't end up being the office idiot who can' t figure out the software at their new job because it's 2 versions newer than what they used last semester in school?
Its prob the teachers who don't want to change software... I'm used to doing it this way etc...

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
Its prob the teachers who don't want to change software... I'm used to doing it this way etc...
The teachers have nothing to do with the IT infrastructure.
Guaranteed the Board of Directors didn't want to pay for updating the servers and paying the software licensing costs.
I'm sure it was a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" nonsense.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
The teachers have nothing to do with the IT infrastructure.
Guaranteed the Board of Directors didn't want to pay for updating the servers and paying the software licensing costs.
I'm sure it was a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" nonsense.
True... I just remember when we went from Lotus to Outlook for our email client/server and the bitching I had to deal with from the top down...

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
You're there to buy a piece of paper, which has a residency requirement and a four or five year waiting period. Relax, Francis.