O&A listening thread 7-12-2013 - The Day After Sharknado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 22, 2013
I like NOpie shows.

Still bitter, though, that he's as good as his word; four days a a week this summer.

Jimmy sounds tired. Even for him. Is ambien really too much for Recovery-Jim?

May 8, 2009
Bawferston
I like NOpie shows.

Still bitter, though, that he's as good as his word; four days a a week this summer.

Jimmy sounds tired. Even for him. Is ambien really too much for Recovery-Jim?
For some (most) people, sober means sober. I'm a recovering alcoholic, obviously meaning alcohol was my kryptonite, but that doesn't mean that it's ok to do other drugs. Obviously I have an addictive personality. So I stay away from ALL mind altering substances. I had a nasty toothache the other day, could've taken painkillers, I took Tylenol instead (which barely did shit).

Mar 22, 2013
Got ya!

Like Ronnie B avoiding painkillers for his appendicitis........

FingerOfGawd

May 23, 2013
Sharknado 2 This Time It's Personal. Staring little Jimmy Norton.

Sep 7, 2007
Maryland
For some (most) people, sober means sober. I'm a recovering alcoholic, obviously meaning alcohol was my kryptonite, but that doesn't mean that it's ok to do other drugs. Obviously I have an addictive personality. So I stay away from ALL mind altering substances. I had a nasty toothache the other day, could've taken painkillers, I took Tylenol instead (which barely did shit).

Tylenol is a drug.

Sep 7, 2007
Maryland
You obviously missed the "mind altering" part... :rolleyes:

No I didn't. :) I'd argue that Tylenol is mind altering too. Even caffeine is mind altering.

I commend you on the recovery and sobriety, I'm not discounting it at all. I just don't understand the mentality.

May 8, 2009
Bawferston
No I didn't. :) I'd argue that Tylenol is mind altering too. Even caffeine is mind altering.

I commend you on the recovery and sobriety, I'm not discounting it at all. I just don't understand the mentality.
Tylenol is far from mind-altering. Caffeine, although addictive, doesn't destroy lives. You don't lose your job, home, car, family, or go to jail because of too much Tylenol or caffeine.

Not trying to be snide, I just don't get what's so hard to understand about someone in recovery not wanting to take a mind altering substance. Being sober is NOT easy, you have to put the work in. Why would anyone knowingly put that at risk when there are other options?

Sep 7, 2007
Maryland
Tylenol is far from mind-altering. Caffeine, although addictive, doesn't destroy lives. You don't lose your job, home, car, family, or go to jail because of too much Tylenol or caffeine.

Not trying to be snide, I just don't get what's so hard to understand about someone in recovery not wanting to take a mind altering substance. Being sober is NOT easy, you have to put the work in. Why would anyone knowingly put that at risk when there are other options?
Tylenol is mind-altering. Potentially life-destroying drugs is a different distinction than "mind altering".

I don't understand addiction at all. If you don't want to do something, don't do it. I think people believe addiction being a "disease" use that as a crutch and as a way to deflect responsibility, "it's not my fault, I'm sick."

I was addicted to cigarettes, I wanted to quit, so I just quit. I used to drink a lot and some would probably consider it borderline alcoholism, I decided I didn't want to do that anymore, so I didn't. But I still drink on occasion (I get drunk maybe once every three months).

I don't understand the mentality that "I used to have a drinking problem so now I can't do ANYTHING, except cigarettes, caffeine, etc".

May 8, 2009
Bawferston
For the record, I'm speaking for myself here, as someone who's in recovery as well. I'm not claiming to know what goes through Jim's head.. I can only assume.

Mar 22, 2013
Love Louie.

But this repurposed Louie bit sounds hack to begin with and makes him sound like an out of touch douche

May 8, 2009
Bawferston
Tylenol is mind-altering. Potentially life-destroying drugs is a different distinction than "mind altering".

I don't understand addiction at all. If you don't want to do something, don't do it. I think people believe addiction being a "disease" use that as a crutch and as a way to deflect responsibility, "it's not my fault, I'm sick."

I was addicted to cigarettes, I wanted to quit, so I just quit. I used to drink a lot and some would probably consider it borderline alcoholism, I decided I didn't want to do that anymore, so I didn't. But I still drink on occasion (I get drunk maybe once every three months).

I don't understand the mentality that "I used to have a drinking problem so now I can't do ANYTHING, except cigarettes, caffeine, etc".

Well good for you. Just because things worked out a certain way for you, doesn't mean everyone else can follow in the same footsteps. I don't consider alcoholism a disease. Cancer, is a disease. Alcohol, not so much. But I don't knock other people for their efforts. I've been able to stay sober without going to AA meetings or counseling etc. It's been a battle I choose to work out on my own. That doesn't mean I'm going to look down upon other people who NEED to go in order to remain sober. Get the fuck outta here with that mentality. Everyone is different. Just because YOU don't understand something, doesn't necessarily make it wrong. And had I known you were one of those "just don't do it anymore" type of people, I wouldn't have wasted the last 10 minutes of my life on this.

Sep 7, 2007
Maryland
Well good for you. Just because things worked out a certain way for you, doesn't mean everyone else can follow in the same footsteps. I don't consider alcoholism a disease. Cancer, is a disease. Alcohol, not so much. But I don't knock other people for their efforts. I've been able to stay sober without going to AA meetings or counseling etc. It's been a battle I choose to work out on my own. That doesn't mean I'm going to look down upon other people who NEED to go in order to remain sober. Get the fuck outta here with that mentality. Everyone is different. Just because YOU don't understand something, doesn't necessarily make it wrong.
I did not mean to imply I look down upon you or anyone else, I'm just saying I don't understand the mentality of someone like Jim, for example, that drank a few times when he was younger and now he "can't" take a pill to help him sleep.

Nor did I mean to imply that using AA is the wrong way to go about it, but I do think it's a bit of a crutch.

And had I known you were one of those "just don't do it anymore" type of people, I wouldn't have wasted the last 10 minutes of my life on this.
I am not sure what you mean by one of those "type of people". If what you're doing works for you, that's awesome. I just don't understand it.

Mar 22, 2013
In fairness to Master Paux, Jimmy, Ronnie B and Bob Kelly have exactly the same take. Ron's made the case that it seems like some people just cant do some of these things (the booze, drugs, food whatever) and stop until they're gone. Zethon, you just don't sound like you have that type of problem.

And this is all separate from Jimmy's tendency to made recovery a huge part of his identity. Which does seem to bug some on this board.

Mar 22, 2013
I'm just saying I don't understand the mentality of someone like Jim, for example, that drank a few times when he was younger and now he "can't" take a pill to help him sleep.
oops. You just said as much.....

Status
Not open for further replies.