O&A on Sirius OEM Car Units

TurboDan

It's the bitches that'll gitchyiz...
Oct 31, 2002
Ocean County, NJ
Was wondering if anyone could help me out with something I've been wondering. I've been an XM sub since '04 but just today I bought a new car (haven't taken delivery yet) that has a Sirius OEM radio in there. I see that Sirius hits you up for $4 extra for access to O&A and baseball, etc., which is fine I guess, but have there been any issues listening to their channel on the OEM units?

I remember something a while back after the merger that some of the XM channels couldn't be tuned in on the Sirius OEM units. That would suck big time if it was no more O&A in the car.

Thanks!

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
XM 105 or Sirius 206.

If the vehicle doesn't tune either one in, you're SOL.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
If you have Sirius, you need the Best of XM package. (Not sure if they changed that but I think O&A costs extra)

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I've never heard of the OEM units not tuning in the Best of Channels. If it's a car made since the merger, it'll definitely be on there.

Sunsetspawn

Dec 5, 2005
The Best of XM package costs extra, but O&A are included in it.
If this is the case, you call them and either tell them to cancel that shit altogether, or give you O&A for free.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
If this is the case, you call them and either tell them to cancel that shit altogether, or give you O&A for free.
Why? Do O&A not deserve to be paid for the service they provide? Where do you think the money to pay them comes from?

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Why? Do O&A not deserve to be paid for the service they provide? Where do you think the money to pay them comes from?
How is one person not paying for the best of XM on a Sirius radio taking money out of O&A's pockets?

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
XM and Sirius are one company now, so why are they free on XM but premium on Sirius?

its contract stuff

they would have to pay O&A a lot more money, just like they'd have to pay baseball more money - same with the Best of Sirius, Howard, Martha, Playboy etc... would have to be paid more

If I had to guess, I'd say after the next contract The O&A Show will be on both platforms without being part of the Best Of package

UCJOE

I have a lot of business with the Chinese
Mar 7, 2009
NJ
If I had to guess, I'd say after the next contract The O&A Show will be on both platforms without being part of the Best Of package
I don't think so
Howard wasn't

The company wants the extra $$$$$

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
its contract stuff

they would have to pay O&A a lot more money, just like they'd have to pay baseball more money - same with the Best of Sirius, Howard, Martha, Playboy etc... would have to be paid more

So did you sit in on the contract negotiations or did they just email/fax it to you for your stamp of approval?

UCJOE

I have a lot of business with the Chinese
Mar 7, 2009
NJ
So did you sit in on the contract negotiations or did they just email/fax it to you for your stamp of approval?
Plus remember Howard did get $25 bonus for merger & still they charge extra for him
So its not just contracts & compensations, its greed on managements part

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
How is one person not paying for the best of XM on a Sirius radio taking money out of O&A's pockets?
Why should someone who buys a Sirius radio get one channel, that isn't offered by Sirius, for free? Just because he doesn't want to listen to baseball doesn't mean he shouldn't pay the fee for the Best of Package. Of course wanting to expand your subscription during the free trial voids the free trial, but that's a different story.

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Why should someone who buys a Sirius radio get one channel, that isn't offered by Sirius, for free? Just because he doesn't want to listen to baseball doesn't mean he shouldn't pay the fee for the Best of Package. Of course wanting to expand your subscription during the free trial voids the free trial, but that's a different story.
He didnt buy a radio, he bought a car that happened to have a radio in it. Like I said, how does one person not paying take money out of O&As pocket? Either way its still another subscription (if he decides to pick it up past the free trial) and that is money that goes to pay their contract.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
He didnt buy a radio, he bought a car that happened to have a radio in it. Like I said, how does one person not paying take money out of O&As pocket? Either way its still another subscription (if he decides to pick it up past the free trial) and that is money that goes to pay their contract.
On the most basic level less income = less money for employee contracts. Best of XM subscriptions are probably one of the things used to determine demand for O&A.

TurboDan

It's the bitches that'll gitchyiz...
Oct 31, 2002
Ocean County, NJ
Well, this turned out exactly how I hoped it wouldn't. If anyone buys a pre-owned '08 Land Rover LR2, know that you ain't gonna be listening to the boys on the factory Sirius unit. I called up to activate and they said the OEM Sirius unit is incompatible with Sirius Premier, which I guess is what they're calling Best of XM these days. Love the car, but this is just annoying. Wish Sirius would just throw O&A on a regular Sirius channel and get rid of the pay wall (even though I was perfectly willing to pay it anyway).

FWIW, Sirius seems to have more dropouts than XM, too. Must be the difference in sats (aren't XM's stationary while Sirius has three rotating sats, or something like that?).

On another note, how's the Howard Stern Show sounding these days? :icon_mrgr:action-sm