O&A to be out in San Francisco soon

SlimeyGoatFuckr

Dec 29, 2005
Denver
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/01/25/PK71UGDMI.DTL

WAKE-UP SHAKE-UPS: Adam Carolla, anointed by CBS Radio to be Howard Stern's replacement in major markets after Stern's move to Sirius satellite, is no longer heard in the Bay Area. He'd been on KIFR (Free FM at 106.9) until CBS ditched the rowdy-talk format last June for lack of ratings, replacing it with the return of KFRC. Because Carolla's contract called for him to have an affiliate in San Francisco, CBS moved him - and other talk shows - to KYCY (1550 AM). That is, until Dec. 31, when the deal expired. Carolla carries on in Los Angeles and a couple of other markets (CBS also dropped Free FM in New York and Philadelphia), but not here. "We just can't afford him," said Stephen Page, program director at KYCY. And, he added, it'll be the same story with Opie and Anthony when their contract runs out at the end of March.
Opps yeah I know I spelled S.F. wrong.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
At least O&A aren't the only talk show that are having problems. Shows that its not the talent, it's the stupid listeners.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
At least O&A aren't the only talk show that are having problems. Shows that its not the talent, it's the stupid listeners.
It's not the stupid listeners, it's the stupid lawyers with all their demands keeping these shows from pushing the envelope even a bit.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
It's not the stupid listeners, it's the stupid lawyers with all their demands keeping these shows from pushing the envelope even a bit.
That is part of the problem, but I just think the average moron out there doesn't listen to this format of radio like they used to.

Its A Hemi

Sep 15, 2006
That is part of the problem, but I just think the average moron out there doesn't listen to this format of radio like they used to.
The internet kills all that stands before it. It's hurting every sector of entertainment.

Dec 19, 2005
Christ, I thought OandA might actually coming out in San Fran.
Maybe a stroll down the Golden Gate Bridge..hand in hand.

Can't a guy dream? hremph..heh..

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
The internet kills all that stands before it. It's hurting every sector of entertainment.
You know there is some truth to that. Someone who might have listened to the radio for mindless entertainment will go to the internet now.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
All true. People's listening habits are changing big time for alot of reasons
and stations are just scrambling to get better numbers since that's what
they rely on to generate revenue. I see format flips and show changes being
pretty common place as they try to find what will bring in the biggest audience.

notmikeh

don't get any cucks on your wee
Jun 8, 2006
pretty common place as they try to find what will bring in the biggest audience.
I just wanted to point out that mikeybot had the best point and you didn't list his quote. what a shame

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Fans are fickle and radio companies don't have the patience or guts to stick with a format to let it take hold. The only formats that are going to survive and prosper are the ones with demos of people who don't normally listen to ipods. (Spanish and urban formats) and all bets are off when Rent-a-Center starts selling ipods.

Jun 10, 2006
Orlando
You mean despite all the cock, homo, ass pounding, queer and otherwise gay jokes they've managed to stay on in S.F. but lost Philly & DC? WTF?!?

oldmandick

Back In Black!!
Donator
Jan 15, 2005
Goa Way
I just wanted to point out that mikeybot had the best point and you didn't list his quote. what a shame
And you're gonna make the interested reader search for it, instead of posting it yourself.

:icon_roll

unklewilly

Nov 13, 2006
I have to agree with alot of responses here. I like to believe that its the lawyers that have absolutely killed talk radio. The second any of your special interest groups out there raise a stink over anything they deem "offensive" it will get a show killed in a second. Remember when screwing up meant screwing your way up to a better market? I bet the Wee for a wii guys are working at a McDonalds somewhere and are out of radio(of course I havent done my research on that but Im just an ass). In a world where you cant say "fart" or "douchebag" how can you expect to put on an entertaing morning show on regular radio(except true talent of such shows heard daily on XM 202)...

Lil' Alex

Dec 20, 2007
NYC
The days of gigantic monolithic shows that everyone is listening to are over. We all have MP3 players plugged into our cars now and listen to and watch whatever we want whenever we want. Now it's programming on demand, there is literally more entertainment available then you can ever consume. I still think they could be more popular than they are, the show is fantastic in comparison to everything else.

A Billboard or two wouldn't kill any of these radio stations. And look at XM, they should have been hammering every city that lost the OandA FM show with an advertising blitz, doesn't look like they did though.

Hunter777

iPod listener
Apr 18, 2005
Internet to blame?

No, because even in 1998-2001 (when the internet was already huge, being about 5 years in for the average Joe), O&A were pulling in huge numbers at WNEW in the afternoons. Has nothing to do with the internet competing for the audience. I agree that it's the stupid stations who are shit-scared of their own shadow, be it because some Ass-hat like Al Sharpton or somebody else will whine about something and then everybody scurries like cockroaches.

As I have mentioned in other threads here, I think the biggest problem is that the guys just don't seem to have the same "zing" they used to have in the afternoons. Is it because of the earlier time frame, the FCC threats, or the guys in general don't have the hunger any more? I don't know...

H777

badcellphoneguy

Kansas City...Kansas City here they come!
Jul 18, 2005
Wantagh, LI
Radio now is just going to be very local. The days of syndication to numerous cities are dying a slow death. It use to be that getting a "syndicated" show would save money for the radio station. Now its the complete opposite. I guess there are people who will work for less money in their own market. I guess 1 market sensations are making a comback. Isn't that right Greaseman...Waddle Doodle.

Monstercloud

Feb 15, 2005
NH
It's a shame for those who enjoyed the show way out there on the west coast.. but fuck them in general, taking in their own hands dumping out parts of the show that otherwise went uncensored, and now dropping them in march?

Fuck those fucking fuckers

sidepiece

"You've been Juiced"
Feb 7, 2005
Hollywood, CA
Who knew they were still on in Frisco?

Buncha queers out there anywayz :p

To call this station an official affiliate is not doing the boys justice. 1550 AM in San Francisco is the same station they were on years ago when they were syndicated from WNEW. It's basically an infomercial only station with no listeners that CBS still owns for portfolio reasons. The station did an experiment a couple of years back where they had listeners send in their podcast's and they would actually play them on the radio. It was a disaster. Just a bunch of liberal kooks and homo's looking to have the bug injected into them. Other than O&A and infomercials nowadays, it's TOOOOOOOOOOM Leykis for five hours late at night.