Obama’s Popularity in Arab World Now Lower than Bush’s

Owenay

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed...
May 10, 2007
Bizarro World
How about that... I seem to remember being told quite frequently that the election of Barack Obama would lead to an improved perception of the U.S. in the Muslim world.

Alana Goodman 07.13.2011 - 1:29 PM

James Zogby, the anti-Israel pollster who released these findings today (pdf), blames the drop in support for Obama in the Arab world on Obama’s failure to put the amount of pressure on Israel the Arab world wanted and expected. But according to the poll, the Arab world doesn’t seem to be happy with any of America’s foreign policy positions. Respondents rated Obama’s policies as the least popular, when compared with other leaders, including Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Killing Osama bin Laden also contributed to the Arab world’s negative views of Obama. In all six countries surveyed – Egypt, Morocco, Lebanon, Jordan, the UAE and Saudi Arabia – the majority of respondents said killing bin Laden made them “less favorable toward the U.S.” Notably, in Egypt, only 2 percent said the al Qaeda leader’s death made them view America more positively.

Most surprisingly, Obama’s approval ratings are even lower than President Bush’s before he left office in 2008. They dropped from 26 percent to 12 percent in Morocco, 9 percent to 5 percent in Egypt, 16 percent to 10 percent in Jordan and 22 percent to 12 percent in the UAE (though they did improve in Saudi Arabia, and tick up slightly in Lebanon).

Obama’s unique background was supposed to make him a prime candidate to improve the relationship between the U.S. and the Arab world. But more than halfway through his first term, not only has there been no progress, it looks like relations are worse than before.
http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2011/07/13/obama%E2%80%99s-popularity-in-arab-world-now-lower-than-bush%E2%80%99s/

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Imagine that, the arab world doesn't like the US.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
So they're pissed because he's been more pro-Israel than they thought and he ordered the killing of bin Laden? Conservatard heads assplode? And I blame Fahkks News. :icon_cool

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
I thought they'd like us more, what with us electing a Kenyan muslim and all. :icon_cool

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
In all six countries surveyed – Egypt, Morocco, Lebanon, Jordan, the UAE and Saudi Arabia – the majority of respondents said killing bin Laden made them “less favorable toward the U.S.” Notably, in Egypt, only 2 percent said the al Qaeda leader’s death made them view America more positively.
....but radicalism among the general populace of middle eastern arab muslims is just a "small minority". Sure. No different from the tiny minority of radicals in the US like McVeigh.

Actually I know that's not fair. There is a difference between actual radicals, and radical sympathizers. And come to think of it there are McVeigh supporters everywhere you look in America. Can't walk down the street without hearing about it...

Larz

****Self-Banned****
It's My Birthday!
Feb 12, 2006
NYC E. Village, No Homo
How about that... I seem to remember being told quite frequently that the election of Barack Obama would lead to an improved perception of the U.S. in the Muslim world.
Gonna have to call failspin on this one. Unless you're arguing that killing Bin Laden was an unnecessary provocation of the muzzies...

Owenay

May 10, 2007
Bizarro World
Gonna have to call failspin on this one. Unless you're arguing that killing Bin Laden was an unnecessary provocation of the muzzies...
Where's the fail? We were told over and over and over again that Bush was responsible for the poor favorability the Arab world had for the U.S. We were told over an over and over again that Obama would rectify that. This poll not only proves that he did not rectify that, but has actually made it WORSE.

This isn't solely about taking out Bin Laden. Reading the poll results clearly shows just about every single policy of the Obama Administration is less favorable than what Bush polled at when he left office, not just UBL.

I'm saying anything positive about Bush, only pointing out that the 'experts' were dead wrong about Mr. Nobel Peace Prize changing the damaged perception that 'Bush caused'.

Falldog

Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
No, Owenay's right. Part of the 'Obama Promise' was that he was going to improve diplomatic relations with the Middle East.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
Seriously is there anything that Little Barry hasn't made worse?

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I'm saying anything positive about Bush, only pointing out that the 'experts' were dead wrong about Mr. Nobel Peace Prize changing the damaged perception that 'Bush caused'.
Obama has been burdened by the fact that every one of the issues that he's inherited has been more difficult than he or anyone else expected.

Owenay

May 10, 2007
Bizarro World
Obama has been burdened by the fact that every one of the issues that he's inherited has been more difficult than he or anyone else expected.
And at least he doesn't take shit from Jews and can be counted on to stand up for his constituents... :icon_cool

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
And at least he doesn't take shit from Jews and can be counted on to stand up for his constituents... :icon_cool
Actually if you read the poll data it says the number one issue they have with Obama is him not taking a more hardline stance AGAINST Israel and FOR the Palestinians. Oh literally me...

And that's all well and good but, but how do you explain that Obama has been burdened by the fact that every one of the issues that he's inherited has been more difficult than he or anyone else expected? :icon_cool

What's so funny?

Falldog

Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
I honestly believe Obama gave up everything he wanted to do once he became president in order to focus on hunting down Bin Laden. He let Pelosi, Boehner and the rest go batshit insane because they mostly left him alone with fighting the war. Any opposition they raised was mostly symbolic. One of these days I'll get around to reading his book, but from what I have heard be basically says this. The war was more important than balancing the budget or making the tax cuts permanent.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I honestly believe Obama gave up everything he wanted to do once he became president in order to focus on hunting down Bin Laden. He let Pelosi, Boehner and the rest go batshit insane because they mostly left him alone with fighting the war. Any opposition they raised was mostly symbolic. One of these days I'll get around to reading his book, but from what I have heard be basically says this. The war was more important than balancing the budget or making the tax cuts permanent.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Shhhh. You're gonna roon it!