Obama Administration spent tax money to buy Obama's book.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Jesus Christ. :(

Politics
State Department Reportedly Spends $70,000 to Buy Copies of Obama's 1995 Memoir
Published October 25, 2011

President Obama just soared to the top of the U.S. embassy bestseller list.
The U.S. Department of State forked over $70,000 to buy Obama’s best-selling book “Dreams From My Father,” The Washington Times reported Tuesday, noting that if Obama earned 10 percent of the purchase, he pocketed several thousand dollars.
Although the 1995 book is a bestseller that sold briskly when Obama’s popularity grew during his run for president, the department’s decision to buy copies is catching the eye of government spending watchdogs.
“It’s inappropriate for U.S. taxpayer dollars to be spent on this,” Leslie Paige, the spokesman for Citizens Agaisnt Governtment Waste, told the paper. “This sounds like propaganda.”
The report points out that there’s no indication that the White House was alerted about the purchase, and a spokesman from the State Department said book purchases are common and often used “to engage key audiences in discussions of foreign policy.”
“We also provide key library collections with books about the United States,” Noel Clay, the spokesman, told The Times. (The newspaper said a White House spokesman didn't respond to its messages.)
Obama reported between $1 million to $5 million in royalties in 2010 for “Dreams from My Father,” and between $100,001 and $1 million for “The Audacity of Hope.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...n-obamas-dreams-from-my-father/#ixzz1br8tm9lI

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Non-story, move along, nothing to see here.

Change, transparency... A President needs not these things.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I wonder if they actually saved money not having to buy new legs for all the broken chairs and desks those things no doubt ended up supporting.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I can't believe people just accept this bullshit. I don't care if they did the same thing with President Bush (although he didn't right a memoir yeas before accomplishing anything like Obama did), it's bullshit on both accounts.

Next Obama will be setting up tables outside Congress and everywhere else he gives a speech to sell his books and t-shirts.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
I can't believe people just accept this bullshit. I don't care if they did the same thing with President Bush (although he didn't right a memoir yeas before accomplishing anything like Obama did), it's bullshit on both accounts.

Next Obama will be setting up tables outside Congress and everywhere else he gives a speech to sell his books and t-shirts.
I couldnt care less if he set up a merch table, just don't use taxpayer dollars to buy them. That is the story. The gov spent $70000 of our money to buy his shitty book

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Great idea! And we can use the proceeds to pay down the debt!

Or maybe this guy can get in and we can sell giant novelty 9-9-9 hands next to his book!

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
I'm confused, where does this outrage rank in the Dijon Mustard -> Mom Jeans -> Queen's iPod scale?

And where's my Miley Cyrus Rockband guitar smashing picture?

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Two libtards contribution: a Herman Cain reference and a reference to fauxrage.

How predictable. :icon_roll

nikoloslvy

I wear my sunglasses at night...Anyone want fries?
Donator
May 5, 2003
Great idea! And we can use the proceeds to pay down the debt!

Or maybe this guy can get in and we can sell giant novelty 9-9-9 hands next to his book!

what part of taxpayer money did you not get? how is that similar in any way?

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
what part of taxpayer money did you not get? how is that similar in any way?
It was a joke son.

Our embassies buy these things as "gifts" to go along with their missions in specific countries. Is a $20 book really that extravagant of a gift? And he's really the first modern president to have a successful book published before he came into office, so it's hard to compare it to anything recent.

And they're also purchasing his children's book, of which the royalties are going to families of fallen soldiers. Something I'd think you'd be all for...
Royalties for Mr. Obama’s children’s book, “Of Thee I Sing” are being donated to the Fisher House Foundation for a scholarship fund for children of fallen and disabled soldiers, disclosure forms show.
I'll now let you get back to smashing the plastic guitar...

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
So they are using tax money to buy his book, part of which goes to families of fallen soldiers. Seems like they could just donate some of their own millions for that cause, but it's nice that they donated on my behalf.

You don't see any conflict of interest in using tax money to buy a product sold by a government official?

DoughBoy

Woogally Cute
Wackbag Staff
Jul 28, 2003
Jersey Shore
It was a joke son.

Our embassies buy these things as "gifts" to go along with their missions in specific countries. Is a $20 book really that extravagant of a gift? And he's really the first modern president to have a successful book published before he came into office, so it's hard to compare it to anything recent.

And they're also purchasing his children's book, of which the royalties are going to families of fallen soldiers. Something I'd think you'd be all for...
I'd rather they didn't purchase books so that *some* of the money went to the families of fallen soldiers. How about they skip the shitty book step and just give the money to the families of fallen soldiers.

nikoloslvy

Donator
May 5, 2003

I'll now let you get back to smashing the plastic guitar...

and it was hilarious.

hey thats really nice of them to spend others peoples money.

go back to eating your jello and ipecac ol man.

insert witty funny picture for extraz hilarityz.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
So they are using tax money to buy his book, part of which goes to families of fallen soldiers. Seems like they could just donate some of their own millions for that cause, but it's nice that they donated on my behalf.
The #1 recipient of Obama's Nobel Prize money was the Fisher House. And I'm sure there's a couple of veterans groups on their donation list from their personal tax return.

You don't see any conflict of interest in using tax money to buy a product sold by a government official?
No. The amount that he benefits from it is negligible. You really need to think about how diplomacy works. Gifts and other things are just things countries do between each other on a mutual basis. Nobody's getting rich off this deal and it falls within applicable laws created to govern this sort of thing. And I'm a big fan of getting/giving books as gifts. I think you really get a lot of bang for your buck with them, but maybe that's just me.

go back to eating your jello and ipecac ol man.
Why would I need ipecac? If I should feel the need to vomit in an emergency situation, I'll just come back here and read your posts. :action-sm

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
The #1 recipient of Obama's Nobel Prize money was the Fisher House. And I'm sure there's a couple of veterans groups on their donation list from their personal tax return.

No. The amount that he benefits from it is negligible. You really need to think about how diplomacy works. Gifts and other things are just things countries do between each other on a mutual basis. Nobody's getting rich off this deal and it falls within applicable laws created to govern this sort of thing. And I'm a big fan of getting/giving books as gifts. I think you really get a lot of bang for your buck with them, but maybe that's just me.
Dude what the fuck are you talking about? If a Congressman was caught directing taxpayer dollars to his own company, it would be an outrage and an ethics committee would be convened. This has nothing to do with gifts or diplomacy or any of that shit. It is entirely about the fact that our money was spent to buy the President's book. If some asshole bureaucrat wants to give out gifts to diplomats let that fucking asshole spend his own goddamn money.

You really need to think about how diplomacy works.
If diplomacy equals spending other people's money for gifts to give to foreigners, then fuck diplomacy. I'm tired of this shit, and I don't give a fuck what administration does it. These cocksuckers probably didn't spend a microsecond of thought deciding if it was appropriate to spend $70000 of our money to literally give away as gifts to other people. I'm glad you're fine with this, but I am not.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Dude what the fuck are you talking about? If a Congressman was caught directing taxpayer dollars to his own company, it would be an outrage and an ethics committee would be convened.
You don't see the difference between that and this?

This has nothing to do with gifts or diplomacy or any of that shit. It is entirely about the fact that our money was spent to buy the President's book.
Bullshit. It has everything to do with the fact that it was Obama's book. If we were giving out gifts of fancy French champagne you would have never heard about it from the Washington Times. And that's certainly something to be more outraged about.

And diplomacy? We've been exchanging gifts with our friends and allies since the founding of this country. Look it up.

nikoloslvy

Donator
May 5, 2003