Obama Administration spent tax money to buy Obama's book.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Guys, I changed my opinion on this. It's probably not that big of a deal, and if we look back to the 80's I'm sure we'll find invoices for the State Department purchasing 3500 VHS copies of Kings Row.

CousinDave

Who did they actually buy the books from?

Most of the time when politicians write books, the political parties, PACs, fundraisers etc buy up huge quantities of them, many times just to push the "sales" numbers up, give to donors, supporters, etc...

I'm guessing in one way or another these were remainders that were about to get pulped and Little Barry's people didn't want it reported that thousands of copies of Barry's book were about to be recycled, so they "found" a buyer at full price.

Josh_R

Most of the time when politicians write books, the political parties, PACs, fundraisers etc buy up huge quantities of them, many times just to push the "sales" numbers up, give to donors, supporters, etc...

I'm guessing in one way or another these were remainders that were about to get pulped and Little Barry's people didn't want it reported that thousands of copies of Barry's book were about to be recycled, so they "found" a buyer at full price.
It doesn't matter. It's totally normal and no big deal to spend tons of taxpayer dollars on gifts and trinkets and books and anything else that we can put into a grab bag and give to a diplomat so that they will like us. That's called diplomacy!

mascan42

It doesn't matter. It's totally normal and no big deal to spend tons of taxpayer dollars on gifts and trinkets and books and anything else that we can put into a grab bag and give to a diplomat so that they will like us. That's called diplomacy!
It is totally normal, and at $70k it's not really that big of a deal, either. The gov't spends more than that on one day's worth of jello in the Congressional cafeteria.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Guys, I changed my opinion on this. It's probably not that big of a deal, and if we look back to the 80's I'm sure we'll find invoices for the State Department purchasing 3500 VHS copies of Kings Row.
Don't be insane. Reagan probably made that movie when he was a card-carrying communist/union organizer. Now THIS would be more appropriate:

Margaret Thatcher could fantasize about playing the lead next to them as they take on the insurgents of Grenada and the Falklands. :action-sm

You never read the articles do you? These were purchased by several different embassies at several different times throughout Obama's first year in office. But continue on that great conspiracy theory that Obama was trying to bury a story about 3500 books not being sold. :icon_roll

NOW you've got it!

caniseeyourtaint

Passive agressive douche
I don't think the issue is so much the government buying shitty gifts to give to asshole leaders around the world so they'd like us.

Obama reported between $1 million to $5 million in royalties in 2010 for “Dreams from My Father,” and between $100,001 and $1 million for “The Audacity of Hope.”
I think it's that the taxpayer money that is buying these shitty gifts has a portion of it going directly into the pocket of the shitty author.

Josh_R

It is totally normal, and at $70k it's not really that big of a deal, either. The gov't spends more than that on one day's worth of jello in the Congressional cafeteria.
Gee, I wonder why we are $15 trillion in debt? Maybe because EVERY single expenditure gets rationalized by people like you.

"Meh, it's only $70,000 for something that does ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD for the American people, who cares?"
"So what if we spent almost $1 million on bottled water in the House of Representatives last year, the American people will cover the bill?"
"Who cares that it costs $20 BILLION a year just for air-conditioning for the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan?"
"It's not a big deal that the DOD spent $100 million on refundable airline tickets that were never used, and never sought a refund."
"It's not a problem that the government spent $2.5 million on a Super Bowl ad about the Census."

It's how government works, nothing to see here. As long as people continue to rationalize this complete horseshit, it will NEVER change.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02/09/house-urged-cut-bottled-water-tab-nears-million/

http://theweek.com/article/index/21...-billion-air-conditioning-bill-by-the-numbers

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/06/09/Business/Unused_seats_cost_Def.shtml

http://www.economiccollapse.net/the-20-most-ridiculous-examples-of-federal-spending-in-2010

CousinDave

You never read the articles do you? These were purchased by several different embassies at several different times throughout Obama's first year in office. But continue on that great conspiracy theory that Obama was trying to bury a story about 3500 books not being sold. :icon_roll

I said who did they actually buy the books from

This is the type of thing Little Barry knows nothing about, its some low level political guy who is just worried about the image of the unsold books being pulped or trying to get somebody their money back

Now maybe they did buy these directly from the publisher or a legit book book wholesaler at the current rates at the time of the sale - but I doubt it.

Josh_R

This is the type of thing Little Barry knows nothing about
This I agree with. I am sure that the President had no idea that people were buying his book and giving it out as gifts to diplomats. It's not like he directed them to do it or anything like that. But, we all know about the appearance of impropriety and all that.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
At first I thought this issue might reach "Obama spending $2B and 40 Warships per day" level of outrage, but after further review I see this is merely "Taking pictures of AF1 near the Statue of Liberty" outrage

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
At first I thought this issue might reach "Obama spending $2B and 40 Warships per day" level of outrage, but after further review I see this is merely "Taking pictures of AF1 near the Statue of Liberty" outrage
Ummm...you're spelling that wrong. ;)

Josh_R

LOL, that was a pretty good line. Apparently I am single-handedly keeping the rage levels from dropping into "Corpseman" territory.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
I hear they also bought a stock of My Pet Goat's. They got a good deal on them because the covers were printed upside down. :icon_cool

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Finally, the left-leaning MSM mainstream media weighs in on this

State Department Defends $79,000 Purchase of Obama Memoirs

The U.S. State Department is defending its purchase of $79,000 worth of President Obama's best-selling books, telling reporters on Wednesday that it's not an unusual practice to provide books to distribute in diplomats' host countries.

State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland added that the missions abroad, not Washington, decide which tomes to carry in their libraries or distribute as gifts to locals.

"It's the embassies themselves that make the decisions what American books to buy, and they make these decisions based on the interest in the country where they are," Nuland told reporters.

"These are not decisions that are made in Washington, and they are not decisions that are directed by Washington."

Obama wrote in his 1995 book "Dreams from My Father" that when he was nine years old he spent some time at the U.S. Embassy in Indonesia, and was bored by the reading material, which included World Bank reports, surveys and magazines. The Embassy in Indonesia now has about $4,800 worth of his books. Versions of the book in Turkish, French, South Korean and Arabic are also available.

A senior State Department official told Fox News that books distributed by embassies have been used to engage audiences on U.S. foreign policy and its political system for decades

"Every embassy has a budget to buy books on US history, culture, politics for their own libraries and to give to host-country libraries and contacts," the official said.

President Bill's Clinton's book "My Life" and President George W. Bush's book "Decision Points" are also part of some embassy library collections.

Although the 1995 book "Dreams from My Father" is a bestseller that sold briskly when Obama's popularity grew during his first run for president, the department's decision to buy copies is catching the eye of government spending watchdogs.

“At some point, he's going to write one after his presidency and I think that would be very appropriate, If they are going to maintain the libraries at all,” Leslie Paige, a spokeswoman for

Citizens Against Government Waste, told Fox News. “We need to look at whether that's worth doing in the fiscal climate we are in

The Washington Times reported first reported the purchase on Tuesday, noting that the president may have pocketed several thousand dollars from the sale. In 2010, Obama reported royalties worth between $1 million to $5 million for "Dreams from My Father," and between $100,001 and $1 million for the "The Audacity of Hope."

Obama has written three books -- "Dreams from My Father," "The Audacity of Hope" and "Letters to My Daughters" -- which are now available as embassy gifts.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...+foxnews/politics+(Internal+-+Politics+-+Text)

When even FOX is defending this purchase, you know you have a retarded talking point.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Oh! Alright then! Our government says it's ok and they do it all the time...so I guess we then have to be fine with it also. :rolleyes:

Gotcha.
Pretty much

What's next, an in depth expose' about how the State Department buys bottled water for its offices instead of plain old tap water?

Josh_R

Finally, the left-leaning MSM mainstream media weighs in on this

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...+foxnews/politics+(Internal+-+Politics+-+Text)

When even FOX is defending this purchase, you know you have a retarded talking point.
Where exactly did FOX News defend this? The quote you highlighted was from "a senior State Department official" AKA a member of Obama's administration, AKA one of the guys who probably approved the $79000 expenditure. Nice try.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Where exactly did FOX News defend this? The quote you highlighted was from "a senior State Department official" AKA a member of Obama's administration, AKA one of the guys who probably approved the $79000 expenditure. Nice try.
They could've easily spun it the same way the Washington Post did in your quoted article, but they saw what a ridiculous waste of time expending even an ounce of effort turning this into the gotcha piece that you think it is.

I'm all for posting government waste stories, but could we set the cutoff at like $1M+ going forward. Complaining about a $70k expenditure is just whiny.

Josh_R

They could've easily spun it the same way the Washington Post did in your quoted article, but they saw what a ridiculous waste of time expending even an ounce of effort turning this into the gotcha piece that you think it is.

I'm all for posting government waste stories, but could we set the cutoff at like $1M+ going forward. Complaining about a $70k expenditure is just whiny.
OR, and this is going to blow your mind, maybe they chose not to show bias in their reporting of the news. Maybe Fox chose to present the story AND the government's official defense of the story, you know "fair and balanced". HOLY MIND FUCK!!!!!!

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
OR, and this is going to blow your mind, maybe they chose not to show bias in their reporting of the news. Maybe Fox chose to present the story AND the government's official defense of the story, you know "fair and balanced". HOLY MIND FUCK!!!!!!
I guess a broken clock can be right twice a day.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
That's all well and good but, how do you explain the fact that the Washington Times FUCKING LIED and said no other presidential books were in embassy libraries, when in fact they are?

YEEEEEAHHHHHHH!!!!!!