Obama Administration spent tax money to buy Obama's book.

Josh_R

Pretty sure whatever pittance he gets from this will be donated to charity.
So. Ask Joe Lewis how that works out. It's still income and it's still from the U.S. taxpayer, and it's still in addition to his salary as President. Again, I don't think Obama planned this as some scheme to sell more books or that he even knew it was going on, but there should certainly be some sort of rule against using taxpayer funds to buy ANY product sold by a sitting President, Congressman, or any other government employee. How would it look if agencies suddenly started installing Viper security systems in government fleet vehicles (if Rep. Issa still owned the company, that is)?

This is one of the dumbest things you have ever posted. The President of the United States is compensated for the services that he renders to the American people. However, he may not receive any additional monies from the United States.

Taxpayer money being spent to buy his book, from which he profits. Kinda sounds like extra compensation from the taxpayers, above what Congress has deemed an appropriate compensation. Emolument!
He's not receiving it from the government, he's receiving it from his publisher.

Do you want to open YOUR Pandora's box? Hopefully no Congressmen own BoA, Ford, GM, Chase or Goldman Sachs stock.
This is why presidents put their investments in a trust while they are in office. Stock holdings are still not the same as a scheme like this.

This is why presidents put their investments in a trust while they are in office. Stock holdings are still not the same as a scheme like this.
Why would putting stock holdings in a trust not be the same thing as donating profits from a book sale? Either way there's no motivation for the President to personally endorse a postive action over either event.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
So. Ask Joe Lewis how that works out. It's still income and it's still from the U.S. taxpayer, and it's still in addition to his salary as President.
It's not income until he actually gets paid for it. Like Mayr said, he gets paid by the publisher. Royalty payments get held in an escrow and are paid out monthly or quarterly depending on Obama's book deal. I'm sure there's a staffer at the publisher that is responsible for identifying purchases that would fall into this category.

And besides, I thought you were outraged that we were buying books as gifts on the taxpayer dime. Now your argument is that Obama's making money on it?

Josh_R

It's not income until he actually gets paid for it. Like Mayr said, he gets paid by the publisher. Royalty payments get held in an escrow and are paid out monthly or quarterly depending on Obama's book deal. I'm sure there's a staffer at the publisher that is responsible for identifying purchases that would fall into this category.

And besides, I thought you were outraged that we were buying books as gifts on the taxpayer dime. Now your argument is that Obama's making money on it?
Both, but mostly the waste of taxpayer money. As I have said previously, I am certain Obama had nothing to do with this. However, the Constitution doesn't have an "it's ok if you donate it to charity" clause. Taxpayer money was spent to enrich a sitting government employee. All $70000 should be donated back to the taxpayers, and an executive order (until congress can pass a law) should be issued stating that no federal funds should be used to buy any product sold by a federal employee.

Both, but mostly the waste of taxpayer money. As I have said previously, I am certain Obama had nothing to do with this. However, the Constitution doesn't have an "it's ok if you donate it to charity" clause. Taxpayer money was spent to enrich a sitting government employee. All $70000 should be donated back to the taxpayers, and an executive order (until congress can pass a law) should be issued stating that no federal funds should be used to buy any product sold by a federal employee.
According to Amazon, Dreams of my Father was published by Crown Publishing. The book is not being sold "by a Federal Employee". You keep trying to twist this argument to make something it isn't. Why don't you just admit you are outraged that Obama wrote a book and is making profits on it and leave it at that.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
According to Amazon, Dreams of my Father was published by Crown Publishing. The book is not being sold "by a Federal Employee". You keep trying to twist this argument to make something it isn't. Why don't you just admit you are outraged that Obama wrote a book and is making profits on it and leave it at that.
That doesn't mean a federal employee isn't directly profiting from the sale. People got pissed at the roundabout way Chaney was linked to Halliburton when they were getting federal contracts. Technically Chaney had nothing to do with Halliburton selling its services to the federal government. Obama is even closer to the profits in this example, because a percentage of every book sold goes directly into his bank account, and the fucking book has his name on it.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
First, the royalties were probably only about $7000, not $70,000. Second, sure there's no stipulation in the Constitution, but there's plenty of laws that govern when elected officials could potentially profit from government actions. This is a unique situation but I'm sure it's happened before. I would imagine Profiles in Courage got stocked on a few embassy shelves during Kennedy's term.

Hell, where do you think the Library of Congress bought most of its books from after the British torched it during the War of 1812? Granted, Jefferson was out of office for 5 years at the time but no one seemed to think he was profiting because of his connections to the people that authorized it. Had it happened during his presidency I would imagine they still would have made the purchase because at the time he probably had the most extensive book collection in the U.S.

And again, we're talking about individual $20 purchases here. Not sure where you think you're going to get more bang for your buck on a $20 government purchase.

Why don't you just admit you are outraged that Obama wrote a book and is making profits on it and leave it at that.
Or this.

That doesn't mean a federal employee isn't directly profiting from the sale. People got pissed at the roundabout way Chaney was linked to Halliburton when they were getting federal contracts. Technically Chaney had nothing to do with Halliburton selling its services to the federal government. Obama is even closer to the profits in this example, because a percentage of every book sold goes directly into his bank account, and the fucking book has his name on it.
Do you seriously not know how to spell Cheney? :action-sm

CousinDave

I'm still saying the book was not bought from the publisher or a legit book wholesaler, these were either comps, remainders, or copies that supporters, PACs, the DNC, etc... bought to give to donors and they're just looking for a way to get rid of their remaining stock at full price and something tells me the proceeds from the sale will end up in the bank accounts of PACs & the DNC

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Do you seriously not know how to spell Cheney? :action-sm
I'm not a liberal, so I rarely write his name or think about him whatsoever...

That said, guess I have no idea it was an "e" rather than an "a". I should pay more attention to the people who are really running this country I guess.

Josh_R

Jesus, you really have me confused with someone else. I don't really post much at all about Obama, in part because I am one of the few people who actually understand that the President is not the King of America upon whom the blame for all things falls. Congress has far more power than the President and far more culpability in most of the wrongdoing that takes place. Having said that, are you really so goddamn dense as to not understand that when someone writes a book, someone else publishes it and then pays the author a percentage of each sale? It is essentially the same as money laundering. Taxpayer money buys books from the publisher, the publisher pays Obama, Obama (according to OAPC) donates it to charity, and no one can prove exactly where it all came from. Especially since fools like you will post things that are really asinine just to defend it.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Taxpayer money buys books from the publisher, the publisher pays Obama, Obama (according to OAPC) donates it to charity, and no one can prove exactly where it all came from.
That's not what I said. I said I would bet there's someone on the staff at the publisher that coordinates all the president's book sales to government agencies, non-profits, schools, etc. And that there's pretty stringent disclosure laws already on the books for this kind of thing.

Josh_R

Oh, and I forgot to mention... CRONY CAPITALISM!!!!!!

I couldnt care less if he set up a merch table, just don't use taxpayer dollars to buy them. That is the story. The gov spent $70000 of our money to buy his shitty book
So they are using tax money to buy his book, part of which goes to families of fallen soldiers. Seems like they could just donate some of their own millions for that cause, but it's nice that they donated on my behalf.

You don't see any conflict of interest in using tax money to buy a product sold by a government official?
Dude what the fuck are you talking about? If a Congressman was caught directing taxpayer dollars to his own company, it would be an outrage and an ethics committee would be convened. This has nothing to do with gifts or diplomacy or any of that shit. It is entirely about the fact that our money was spent to buy the President's book. If some asshole bureaucrat wants to give out gifts to diplomats let that fucking asshole spend his own goddamn money.

If diplomacy equals spending other people's money for gifts to give to foreigners, then fuck diplomacy. I'm tired of this shit, and I don't give a fuck what administration does it. These cocksuckers probably didn't spend a microsecond of thought deciding if it was appropriate to spend $70000 of our money to literally give away as gifts to other people. I'm glad you're fine with this, but I am not.
You clearly have reading comprehension issues. My outrage stems from the fact that the government spent tens of thousands of dollars on the President's book so that they could giver them away to people. I don't care how many other people's books were also bought. A sitting President profited from a government purchase. This is a problem for me, but the biggest problems is the blatant waste of money. So, no, my fauxrage is not due to the fact that "Obama is the only president whose book is in an embassy library".
This is one of the dumbest things you have ever posted. The President of the United States is compensated for the services that he renders to the American people. However, he may not receive any additional monies from the United States.

Taxpayer money being spent to buy his book, from which he profits. Kinda sounds like extra compensation from the taxpayers, above what Congress has deemed an appropriate compensation. Emolument!
The evolution of Josh's argument. First it's bad that tax dollars were spent. Then it's bad that Tax dollars were spent in violation of the Constitution, THEN its bad that the President is personally profiting from an expenditure of tax dollars, FINALLY it's bad that tax dollars are spent to "enrich" a President. Yet he's been consistent this whole time :rolleyes:

Jesus, you really have me confused with someone else. I don't really post much at all about Obama
:rolleyes:

Josh_R

The evolution of Josh's argument. First it's bad that tax dollars were spent. Then it's bad that Tax dollars were spent in violation of the Constitution, THEN its bad that the President is personally profiting from an expenditure of tax dollars, FINALLY it's bad that tax dollars are spent to "enrich" a President. Yet he's been consistent this whole time :rolleyes:
:rolleyes:
Wow, awesome try. Literally every post that you quoted contains the phrase "using taxpayer money" or "using tax dollars" or "taxpayer money was spent" etc. All of the things that I complained about were prefaced with the fact that they were done with taxpayer dollars.

There is nothing wrong with a President donating his books to libraries, or to diplomats, or making a profit from selling his books to private citizens. As soon as you fund any of those things with someone else's money that the government took from them, then there is a problem.

El to tha mother fuckin Oh El.

Oh Afternoonquil, you'd be my hero if you weren't a 15 year old obsessed with #shredding.