Obama announces full withdrawal from Iraq

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
President Obama confirmed plans to have all U.S. troops out of Iraq by Jan. 1, formally ending the war that began more than eight-and-a-half years ago and has taken more than 4,400 American lives.

"After nearly nine years, America's war in Iraq will be over," Obama said at the White House, adding that most U.S. troops will be "home for the holidays."

Obama noted that he pledged to end the Iraq war during his 2008 presidential campaign.

The president spoke in the White House briefing room after holding a secure video conference with Iraq prime minister Nouri al-Maliki. Obama said he and the Iraqi leader are in "full agreement about how to move forward."

The U.S. has had a long-standing agreement to withdraw all combat troops from Iraq by the end of this year, but officials from both countries had discussed maintaining a U.S. residual force to train Iraqi forces.

CAPTION
By JEWEL SAMAD, AFP/Getty Images
But the U,S, eventually balked at maintaining a residual force because Iraq has refused to grant American troops legal immunity in Iraqi courts.

Obama praised the U.S. troops for their efforts in Iraq, saying they will leave "with their heads held high, proud of their success, and knowing that the American people stand united in our support for our troops."

He also pledged assistance and "a strong and enduring partnership" with the government in Iraq.

"With our diplomats and civilian advisers in the lead, we will help Iraqis strengthen institutions that are just, representative, and accountable,' Obama said. "We'll build new ties of trade and of commerce, culture and education that unleash the potential of the Iraqi people."

The president also appeared to deliver a warning Iran, which he has accused of helping insurgents in Iraq. "We'll partner with an Iraq that contributes to regional security and peace, just as we insist that other nations respect Iraq's sovereignty,' Obama said.

The announcement came a day after the death of former Libya dictator Moammar Gadhafi, bringing that conflict to an end.

The president also noted he is planning to withdraw U.S. troops from Afghanistan, a process hoped to be completed by 2014.

Obama inherited the Iraq and Afghanistan wars from predecessor George W. Bush.

"I would note that the end of war in Iraq reflects a larger transition," Obama said. "The tide of war is receding."
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2011/10/obama-to-speak-on-iraq-at-1245-pm/1

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
"After nearly nine years, America's war in Iraq will be over," Obama said at the White House, adding that most U.S. troops will be "home in time for the election year."
:icon_cool

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
About fucking time, but I'll believe it when it happens after all the current POTUS said he would close GITMO in 2009

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
Oh look, it's this story again.

Fuck the dummies who "want us out of Iraq". They're silly assholes but unfortunately there's a lot of them.

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
We'll be in Iraq until forever. Personally I think (or at least hope) it's to assist and ensure the transition to democracy. How many times did the last 2 presidents promise we were pulling all or most of our troops out? It's a political ploy, done for political reasons, same as exaggerating the threat of wmds to get the sappy dipshits in line.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
We'll be in Iraq until forever. Personally I think (or at least hope) it's to assist and ensure the transition to democracy. How many times did the last 2 presidents promise we were pulling all or most of our troops out? It's a political ploy, done for political reasons, same as exaggerating the threat of wmds to get the sappy dipshits in line.
Why do so many people still think that democracy will work in that savage part of the world? They obviously dont want to have that type of government and anyone who thinks that they would be better off with a democratic nation should probably be checked for lead paint chip ingestion at some point in their lives.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
How is this different from the last announcement of the same thing that we heard two weeks ago? Oh yeah, no poll boost from the last one.

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
Why do so many people still think that democracy will work in that savage part of the world? They obviously dont want to have that type of government
You could have said the same thing about many current democracies just a couple hundred years ago. Try to think long-term. Expand your horizons, it's either that or nukes. And nukes are realistically out of the question (though they're fun to fantasize about).

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
You could have said the same thing about many current democracies just a couple hundred years ago. Try to think long-term. Expand your horizons, it's either that or nukes. And nukes are realistically out of the question (though they're fun to fantasize about).
Or you can just come to realization that not every culture is suited to a particular form of establishment and no matter how hard you shove it down their throat there is going to be resistance at every turn.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Man, this news is capable of pulling Obama's approval from 38% to 40% in no time.

You're almost re-electable, Mr. President.

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
aka life and the evolution of civilization.
So why do we have to be the ones teaching them how to form a government when they are still making houses out of mud and sticks? This is a part of the world where they cant even peacefully agree on one form of religion that they all fundamentally believe it, you really think a multi party political system is even feasible?

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Oh, and I congratulated a buddy I have who works over there and told him I can't wait to see him for Christmas. And he knew right away that I was being sarcastic and just laughed. There are no plans for him to come home anytime soon.

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
1. Have you been living under a rock since 1950? In case you haven't heard, we're #1.

1. What the fuck does that have to do with what amounts to teraforming governments that dont fall in similar line as ours? And part b. why arent we invading all the other non democratic countries trying to forcibly convert their political way of thought?

2. What does Iraq have to do with 9/11?

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Oh Jesus, mills and Fletcher in an in-depth foreign policy debate about the Middle East!

This should be riveting!

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Oh Jesus, mills and Fletcher in an in-depth foreign policy debate about the Middle East!

This should be riveting!

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
What have you been told about the popcorn?

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
1. What the fuck does that have to do with what amounts to teraforming governments that dont fall in similar line as ours?
It's not about falling in "similar" line with ours. It's about a desperate need to grow the fuck up that goes beyond the threshold of acceptability.

And part b. why arent we invading all the other non democratic countries trying to forcibly convert their political way of thought?
See #2.

2. What does Iraq have to do with 9/11?
American economic dominance doesn't breed Islamic terrorism. Neither do oil wars. Not even the existence of Israel.

The combination of political authoritarianism with religious authoritarianism is what breeds Islamic terrorism.