OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Obama calls for repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Party Rooster, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

I see what Obama's doing here. Taken an essentially large non-issue and trying to drum up support from the lefties to turn out to the polls in 2012. Republicans are already going to be turning up in record numbers so the net effect would be more Democrats. The Republicans used this strategy in statewide gay marriage referendums in 2004 that were enough to push Bush over the hump and get reelected in a couple of key swing states.

2. CousinDave

CousinDave Registered User

I don't know

This may back fire on Little Barry as the bible bangers have no love for Mitt Romney and even though they hate Little Barry, I don't see them turning out to vote in huge numbers for Romney unless Little Barry decides to make homosexuals a big issue.

I am not against homosexuals getting married, however its not important enough for me to care about and I have a feeling more people think like I do on the issue, especially in this climate of nearly 20% actual unemployment.

Lets see the stock market has one of the biggest loses in history or a bunch of fags signing nonsensical contracts - what issue really matters to peoples lives ?

3. mascan42

mascan42 Registered User

Ugh. I'm not sure which is worse, that he talked to that dumb bitch on a serious subject, or that he made that joke.

4. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

How about the federal government stays the fuck out of the issue of marriage either way.

5. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Wouldn't that require repealing DOMA?

6. whiskeyguy

Probably. I don't know anything about it... not very high up on something I'm concerned with (like others have stated). I don't think the federal government should have any stance on marriage to any degree. Leave it up to the states.

7. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

He's on record as being against gay marriage. He also implored hospitals to give visitation rights to gays so that it would lessen the criticism he faced for opposing gay marriage. Those would've been a good places to start.

8. Hoffman

Hoffman Guess who's back? Hoffman's back

Therein lies the problem. DOMA was a Bush era law, which, the Federal Government had no business in passing as marriage laws are a State issue. While I have no issue with Obama wanting to repeal this; frankly I think we have far more important things to worry about such as our economy.

9. Lord Zero

DOMA was signed into law by Bill Clinton.

10. Begbie

Begbie Wackbag Generalissimo

Look at Obama undoing Clinton era legislation! What's next...Digital Millennium Copyright Act? Brady Bill? Please?

11. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Politicians gonna politic.

12. Hoffman

Fuck, thank you. You are correct.

13. Lord Zero

No problem.

14. MagicBob

MagicBob Registered User

Its is kinda a federal issue since state laws that define marriage as only valid between member of the opposite sex raise serious constitutional questions. I concur that the federal gov should not have a law that defines marriage as only valid between member of the opposite sex.

its simple contract issue. In the eyes of the "state" (meaning gov. in general here not State as in US State) marriage is nothing more than a legal contract. You cant let one class enter into a contract while restricting another without a valid legal basis. To put that restriction on some and not others violates the constitution.

15. Hoffman

I see what you're saying, but if Federal involvement is necessary it should be at the Supreme Court level. The President and Senate have no rights to be legislating this kind of stuff. If a State wants to legislate that gay marriages are illegal, that is fine. If individuals in that State want to challenge those State laws to the Supreme Court, that is also fine. What is NOT fine is any President and our Senate trying to legislate this stuff.

16. MagicBob

MagicBob Registered User

agreed, so the DOMA should be repealed.

17. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Tax hikes for the rich!!! :icon_cool

18. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

That would be the legal way to do things instead of the Executive branch refusing to defend it.

19. chumpy

chumpy No hopes of repair
    Donator

Let those faggots stop whining about this so they can get back to those important things like fashion and gossip.

20. MagicBob

MagicBob Registered User

is there any legal duty for the Exec branch to defend legislation in court?

21. whiskeyguy

I'm going to preference this by saying I could care less if two gay people want to get married.

However, there's nothing in the Constitution that deals with marriage, so at this point I would say the decision is a state's right. Also, the word "marriage" is defined as a union between a man and a woman, and has religious implications for many. I do not believe the state should give benefits or rights to heterosexual couples that homosexual couples can't have access to, such as tax deductions.

I've always thought a compromise would work... keeping marriage as between a man and a woman but allowing social unions that carry the exact same rights in the state's eyes. I think the gays would gather more support if they weren't so intent on calling it "marriage". Again, I don't care if they call it marriage... it's just a suggestion.

Either way again this is an argument for individual states.

22. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

A civil right should be defined by the Legislature. There's no guarantee the Supreme Court would even accept a case regarding inequality of gay marriage.

23. Hoffman

Right, the STATE legislature, NOT the Federal legislature. When I got married the words spoken were; "by the power vested in me by the State of Virginia"; not "by the power vested in me, by the United States of America."

Also, I do not believe marriage is considered a "civil right" as you can, or cannot be married based on your own decisions. Marriage is I believe classified a "privilege" by the government.

24. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

Good. It is complete bullshit that the federal government is actively discriminating against a whole group of people. First, there is no Constitutional authority for the feds to even have an opinion on marriage. Second, there is that pesky little thing called the 14th amendment.
    I guess this doesn't apply to the feds or the states somehow. How can it be legal to deny a group of people the ability to marry without violating the above clause?

25. BullsLawDan

BullsLawDan She A Great Big Fat Person?

Marriage is a "fundamental civil right," according to the Supreme Court, read Loving v. Virginia.

Obligatory plug for Tapatalk