Obama Campaign Says GOP Blocking Jobs Bill--After Reid Blocks Jobs Bill

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
That damn Republican Senate Majority Leader...Oh, wait...

Obama Campaign Says GOP Blocking Jobs Bill--After Reid Blocks Jobs Bill

The Obama campaign sent out an email today asking supporters to urge Congress to at least vote on the president’s jobs bill almost immediately after Democratic majority leader Harry Reid blocked a vote on the bill in the Senate.

On the Senate floor today, Republican leader Mitch McConnell asked for unanimous consent to proceed on voting on the bill. Reid, who has struggled to find enough votes for the bill in the Democratic caucus, objected to the motion and killed the opportunity for a vote.

About ten minutes later, Jim Messina, Obama’s 2012 campaign manager, emailed this message to supporters:

President Obama is in Dallas today urging Americans who support the American Jobs Act to demand that Congress pass it already.

Though it's been nearly a month since he laid out this plan, House Republicans haven't acted to pass it. And House Majority Leader Eric Cantor is out there actually bragging that they won't even put the jobs package up for a vote -- ever.

It's not clear which part of the bill they now object to: building roads, hiring teachers, getting veterans back to work. They're willing to block the American Jobs Act -- and they think you won't do anything about it.

But here's something you can do: Find Republican members of Congress on Twitter, call them out, and demand they pass this bill.

So will the Obama campaign be asking its supporters to "call out" Harry Reid and "demand" he and Senate Democrats pass the bill?

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
It's kinda like how the Republicans were blocking the Obamacare bill when they had a minority in both houses.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
This stimulus bill is really Obama's only shot at having at least a slight chance of getting re-elected...barring any amazing economic turnaround that comes out of nowhere of course. If he gets it passed now...he and the democrats could create an environment where they can claim the economy is still improving and they're still putting people back to work...with the "results" seen just before the election.

Yet...democrats can't even get behind it and PASS THIS BILL NOW!! It's pretty telling just how disenfranchised the left is now, and this is just the latest example. I think we're at the point where Obama's real approval rating is in the 20's...yet some on the left just don't want to admit their guy...the first black President...is one of the worst leaders this country has ever had.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Sounds more like Reid blocked the vote because it would have effectively killed it had he not. Nice reporting there Weekly Standard...

McConnell Tries to Force Vote on Obama Jobs Plan

By Steven T. Dennis
Roll Call Staff
Oct. 4, 2011, 4 p.m.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) sought to vote today on President Barack Obama's $447 billion jobs package in hopes of killing it quickly.

"The president is entitled to know where the Senate stands on his proposal," McConnell said, holding up a copy of the plan on the Senate floor. McConnell told reporters he hopes the Senate rejects the package, but noted that Obama has been barnstorming across the country asking for an immediate vote. McConnell was prepared to offer the president's plan as an amendment to a China currency manipulation bill now on the Senate floor, but Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) moved quickly to block that, using a procedural maneuver known as filling the amendment tree to prevent McConnell from offering the proposal.

Reid accused McConnell of playing partisan games and mucking with the bipartisan bill to crack down on Chinese currency manipulation. If Reid does not allow amendments to the currency bill, it may lose its bipartisan backing and fail on the Senate floor.

Reid told reporters that he intends to bring up the jobs bill later in the month, possibly with modifications to how it is paid for.

Reid said that the only way Obama's bill won't pass is if Republicans refuse to vote for it.

The tax increases proposed by Obama have split Democrats, and leadership is now considering altering the proposal to institute a millionaire tax instead, Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) said after the weekly party lunches.

Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) said it would also make sense to use savings from winding down wars in Iraq and Afghanistan to pay for jobs here.

http://www.rollcall.com/news/McConnell-Tries-to-Force-Vote-on-Obama-Jobs-Plan-209191-1.html?pos=hln

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
That article is an example of everything that's wrong with our government. One person tried to tack an unrelated bill onto another one, and another person fills up all the available amendment slots to block that. God damn it, vote on one bill at a time.

Reid said that the only way Obama's bill won't pass is if Republicans refuse to vote for it.
Holy shit did this sentence have me laughing my ass off. Reid is a genius, basically stating that if enough people who disagree with a bill don't vote for it, it won't pass.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
That article is an example of everything that's wrong with our government. One person tried to tack an unrelated bill onto another one, and another person fills up all the available amendment slots to block that. God damn it, vote on one bill at a time.

Holy shit did this sentence have me laughing my ass off. Reid is a genius, basically stating that if enough people who disagree with a bill don't vote for it, it won't pass.
Not only do I hate this shit, I really hate the "whipping" that goes on. Instead of just introducing a bill and seeing if it passes or not, they go around and try to coerce and buy votes by promising to put this or that into the final bill. Before you know it, a year has passed and the bill is 2,000 pages long and no one knows what the fuck is inside it, but it will pass by golly.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Sounds more like Reid blocked the vote because it would have effectively killed it had he not. Nice reporting there Weekly Standard...
If he knows it has no chance of passing right now, why the fuck does he keep insisting they vote on it immediately? This strategy makes no sense to me. At first I thought maybe he'd given up on the bill, and just wanted to force a vote so he could say the Republicans voted against it, but that would be true no matter when the vote takes place.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
If he knows it has no chance of passing right now, why the fuck does he keep insisting they vote on it immediately? This strategy makes no sense to me. At first I thought maybe he'd given up on the bill, and just wanted to force a vote so he could say the Republicans voted against it, but that would be true no matter when the vote takes place.
Because anyone will believe him when he says "the republicans are blocking this bill that will save the entire world and put everyone back to work".

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
This bill is meant to fail for precisely that reason, so he can play the blame game.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Because anyone will believe him when he says "the republicans are blocking this bill that will save the entire world and put everyone back to work".
Yeah, but that'll happen no matter when the vote takes place, and he's pushing to do it now. Wouldn't it make more sense to wait until he has more support from his own party before he sacrifices the bill for the sake of pointing fingers?

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Yeah, but that'll happen no matter when the vote takes place, and he's pushing to do it now. Wouldn't it make more sense to wait until he has more support from his own party before he sacrifices the bill for the sake of pointing fingers?
Not if he makes it look like he was in a huge hurry to do everything he could to save the economy immediately.