OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Obama Cites Bible to Justify Tax Hikes.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Josh_R, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

[video=youtube;jRA6l-VCttg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRA6l-VCttg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I guess he missed the whole "voluntary" thing about charity. Pretty sure Jesus didn't demand that the government raise taxes.

2. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

First the obligatory "why tax the rich more? Cause Jesus".

Second, wasn't Jesus kind of against taxes? I seem to remember that being one of the charges that justified him being crucified.

Luke 23:2 - "They began to accuse him, saying, "We found this man perverting the nation, forbidding paying taxes to Caesar, and saying that he himself is Christ, a king."

Oh yeah, Luke 5:30 - The Pharisees and their scribes began grumbling at His disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with the tax collectors and sinners?” 31 And Jesus answered and said to them, “It is not those who are well who need a physician, but those who are sick.

So he refused to pay taxes and believed tax collectors were sick. Now I have no idea of the context behind these quotes, but they appear to be contradictory to what Obama is saying.

3. KRSOne

KRSOne Registered User

The globalists usually use: Mark 12:17: Then Jesus said to them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's." And they were amazed at him.

Also: Romans 13:6 Pay your taxes, too, for these same reasons. For government workers need to be paid. They are serving God in what they do

I like how Obama pretends hes going to raise his own taxes. Obama, his ultra rich corporate friends such as Warren Buffett, and most politicians will be the only ones that don't get taxed.

4. Motor Head

Motor Head HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL

The Jeeezoos also said something about a camel passing through the eye of a needle more easily then a wealthy man getting into heaven.

To be honest, anybody that cherry picks quotes out of the bible to justify their skewed views, should be tarred and feathered. This goes for Obama, Santorum and even Romney the talking lizard second Jeeezoos guy.

5. KRSOne

KRSOne Registered User

Yeah, I wonder what the bible says about gays and abortion. I wonder why Obama doesn't use that as a guideline to govern by. Remember how angry the libs were when Bush did something like this? Where is the anger now?

6. whiskeyguy

I wonder when Obama is going to start quoting Exodus as justification to bring slavery back...

7. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

"Does God want goodness or the choice of goodness? Is a man who chooses to be bad perhaps in some way better than a man who has the good imposed upon him?" - Prison Chaplain, A Clockwork Orange (Anthony Burgess)

8. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Shouldn't Obama be quoting the Qu'ran? :huh:

9. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

Ohh, here's one.
    I think this means that Jesus wants Obama to raise taxes on the poor, since it's more gooder when poor people pay, and less gooder when the rich pay more. Amirite?

He does quote the Qu'ran, watch the video.

10. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Libs are allowed to get away with quoting the Bible because they all secretly know that government is their god. It's like a little shell game they play to make the rest of us believe that they have morals.

11. CousinDave

CousinDave Registered User

Anything that is taxed will be reduced and anything that is subsidized will increase.

Taxing the rich and subsidizing the poor is as idiotic as believing in perpetual motion.

More rich people is better than more poor people.

Start taxing the poor and there will be less of them.

The laws of supply and demand are as absolute as the laws of physics.

12. JoeFromS.Jersey

JoeFromS.Jersey Registered User

I am of course, by no means, defending Obama. But you're pretty much butchering what was going on in these quotes. Though, you admitted to not knowing the context so it's not really that big of a deal.

The first quote you have was just one of the false charges used against Jesus to crucify him. He at no point (at least that I know of) told people not to pay their taxes.

The second...He wasn't necessarily saying that tax collectors were sick. Tax collectors were looked on as scum back then (still are?) and so when people were saying he eats with tax collectors etc, they were really asking why Jesus was associating with the worst of society. So, as a reply Jesus simply said it was those who needed him most. IE a healthy person doesn't need a doctor.

13. whiskeyguy

I was more doing the "pull quotes that support anything" thing. Based on what I know (which is little) I thought Jesus was against taxing citizens, but not against taxing foreigners (or something like that).

I've been meaning to read the Bible, just for reference and context (I'm not religious). Told myself I'll do it by 30, and I'm 29 in October so I better get started. Anyway, if you think the Bible is justification for one thing, then you should feel the need to justify everything else with it... which is why you shouldn't use it to justify anything in government.

14. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

There's lots of stupid stuff being said in this thread and you guys sound like you work at Midevil Times all of a sudden. It's weird.

15. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

Anybody who pulls out the antique scribblings of primitive Bronze Age goat herders to justify their decisions and actions should be ridiculed... or better yet, ignored.

16. Floyd1977

Floyd1977 Registered User

Wait, I'm confused, I thought Obama was Jesus