Obama defends Iran policy

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Obama defends Iran policy amid Israel anger

1 hour ago

View gallery

US President Barack Obama speaks on immigration reform at Betty Ann Ong Chinese Recreation Center in San Francisco, California, on November 25, 2013 (AFP Photo/Jewel Samad )

San Francisco (AFP) - US President Barack Obama defended his administration's Iran policy on Monday but said "huge challenges" remained to successfully implement a landmark deal on Tehran's nuclear ambitions.

Obama has come under fierce criticism from Republican rivals at home and key allies abroad, such as Israel, for pursuing a diplomatic solution to the Iran question.

Israel decried the breakthrough agreement reached in Geneva on Sunday -- under which Tehran agreed to curb its nuclear program in return for an easing of sanctions -- as a "historic mistake."

Obama, however, insisted that the US policy of diplomacy twinned with sanctions had been more productive than rhetoric, stating that "tough talk" alone would not guarantee US security.

"For the first time in a decade, we've halted the progress on Iran's nuclear program," Obama said. "Key parts of the program will be rolled back."

Obama said diplomacy would continue over the coming months in a bit to settle "once and for all" the "threat of Iran's nuclear program."

"Huge challenges remain, but we cannot close the door on diplomacy, and we cannot rule out peaceful solutions to the world's problems," Obama said.

"We cannot commit ourselves to an endless cycle of violence, and tough talk and bluster may be the easy thing to do politically, but it's not the right thing for our security."

Earlier Monday, France said the European Union could begin lifting sanctions on Iran next month as world powers set about implementing the deal with Tehran while seeking to placate a furious Israel.

In a radio interview, French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said EU foreign ministers were to meet next month to discuss lifting some sanctions as part of the deal, a move he said could take place "in December."

One senior Western diplomat, who refused to be named, told AFP the focus in the coming weeks would be "swift implementation".

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday decided to send his national security advisor to Washington for talks on Iran after warning the deal will convince Tehran it has a free hand to achieve a breakout nuclear capability.

Obama has repeatedly tried to reassure Netanyahu, calling him on Sunday to discuss the issue.

The Geneva deal came just days after Iran's supreme leader described Israel as a "rabid dog" that was "doomed to collapse".

Tehran has a long history of belligerent statements towards the Jewish state, and Israel -- the Middle East's sole if undeclared nuclear power -- has repeatedly warned that a nuclear Iran would pose an existential threat.

'Israel's security at heart'

Speaking in Jerusalem, the EU ambassador-designate to Israel, Lars Faaborg-Andersen, told a crowd of diplomats and the country's intelligence minister that the 28-member bloc had "Israel's security at heart."

The so-called P5+1 world powers that negotiated the accord with Iran -- the United States, France, Britain, Russia, China and Germany -- say it is a key first step that wards off the threat of military escalation in the volatile Middle East.

Under the deal, which lasts for six months while a more long-lasting solution is negotiated, Tehran will limit uranium enrichment to low levels used only for civilian energy purposes.

It will also neutralize its existing stockpile of uranium enriched to 20 percent, which is close to weapons-grade and therefore an area of top concern.

In return, the Islamic state will get some $7 billion in sanctions relief in access to frozen funds and in its petrochemical, gold and precious metals and auto sectors.

But the raft of international sanctions that have hobbled the Iranian economy remain untouched.

Fabius said that Iran committed "to giving up the prospect of a nuclear weapon" as part of the interim deal.

"As much as Iran can move forward where civilian nuclear energy is concerned, it cannot do so for the atomic weapon," he added.

But these pacifying moves have failed to convince many Israelis, and a poll conducted by the daily Israel Hayom found more than three-quarters of Israeli Jews believe Iran will keep up its nuclear drive despite the Geneva deal.

Most Iranian newspapers on Monday hailed the Geneva deal, attributing the relatively swift success to Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif.

Zarif, who led the Iranian delegation at the talks, received a hero's welcome when he returned home and insisted Monday that the "structure of Iran's nuclear program was preserved."

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-defends-iran-deal-rejects-tough-talk-bluster-204030624.html

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
"Iran" and "diplomatic solution" in the same sentence. That's worth a point-and-laugh right there alone.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
This is the only good thing he's done in 5 years. So...

Congrats!

Joker1919

One can hope the Jews say fuck this guy and put a nuke in Iran's reactors.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

BIV

This is the only good thing he's done in 5 years. So...

Congrats!
How is this in any way good. He just told those fucks that they can have everything they need to make nukes as long as they promise not too...and that we will give them goodies for making that promise.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
How is this in any way good. He just told those fucks that they can have everything they need to make nukes as long as they promise not too...and that we will give them goodies for making that promise.
You're being a silly goose. Iran doesn't want the bomb. They just want to not get raped in the ass with sanctions for no good reason.

Creasy Bear

Donator
You're being a silly goose. Iran doesn't want the bomb. They just want to not get raped in the ass with sanctions for no good reason.
You're out of your cotton-pickin' mind if think Iran doesn't want to get their filthy paws on a nuke... or twelve.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
You're out of your cotton-pickin' mind if think Iran doesn't want to get their filthy paws on a nuke... or twelve.
Maybe they could buy a few from Israel, a country that has hundreds of them and gets money from all over the world instead of sanctions.

Creasy Bear

Donator
Maybe they could buy a few from Israel, a country that has hundreds of them and gets money from all over the world instead of sanctions.
Which they should... Israel being the only civilized nation in the entire sea of savagery that is the Islamic Middle East.

BIV

Which they should... Israel being the only civilized nation in the entire sea of savagery that is the Islamic Middle East.
He fooled me with the new avatar. You forget we are talking to the board anti-Semite.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Considering if they didn't the shite around them would have killed
them already I don't have a problem with that. They honestly want
them as a deterrent, I doubt Iran does.

Creasy Bear

Donator
He fooled me with the new avatar. You forget we are talking to the board anti-Semite.
Dammit! That's like the third time he got me. I swear... I have the memory of a goldfish.

I walked right into his anti-semetic tomfoolery trap like an amateur comedian Sol Auerbachesque dupe.

WadsOfShit

Dead to Everyone on Wackbag.
:meh: Israel is as uncivilized as the rest of the nations in the Middle East with their constant missile attacks on the Gaza strip, because one Hamas missile attack on illegal settlements in the West Bank that might not even kill anyone merits a Patriot missile barrage from the Israeli army that ends up killing 30+ people.

Creasy Bear

Donator
You know... I'm starting to think Carmen isn't really dead after all. Neckbeard is a tricksy hobbitses. I think it might just be a clever hoax he cooked up to get sympathy.

He sits back... all fat and cocky... soaking up our condolences and laughing at us.

That's the way the Neckbeard laughs at you.

Creasy Bear

Donator
:meh: Israel is as uncivilized as the rest of the nations in the Middle East with their constant missile attacks on the Gaza strip, because one Hamas missile attack on illegal settlements in the West Bank that might not even kill anyone merits a Patriot missile barrage from the Israeli army that ends up killing 30+ people.
Exterminating roaches.

Go, Jews!

Jews! Jews! Jews!

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
You know... I'm starting to think Carmen isn't really dead after all. Neckbeard is a tricksy hobbitses. I think it might just be a clever hoax he cooked up to get sympathy.

He sits back... all fat and cocky... soaking up our condolences and laughing at us.

That's the way the Neckbeard laughs at you.
Then he turns right around and give you a like. All aboard the Liketrain!! Choo-choooooooo!!!!!!

Neon

ネオン
Donator
A few VERY important differences:

1. Iran is a signatory to the Nuclear Nonproliferation treaty since 1968 and several anti-nuke treaties as well. Israel is a signatory of none. The ban on Iranian nukes relates to Iran already being committed to not developing them for more than 40 years.
2. Israel has unofficially had nukes for around 40 years. What's happened during that time? Did they sell nukes or technology to any bad people? Did they threaten a nuclear strike? Did they have some kind of nuclear accident? No, no, and no. If anything, Israel uses its nukes more responsibly than the U.S.
3. Israel is not a theocratic dictatorship that is one of the main financiers of terrorism and civil unrest in the entire world.

Here's a question - why did you mention Israel here? Why not France or Pakistan or better yet Russia or Chine, who are Iranian allies? You need to do a better job of hiding your bias if you want people to take you seriously, Neckbeard. By automatically mentioning Israel here you are displaying a perfect example of Israel haters using this whole issue to regurgitate their lame old arguments. But you're in good company. You have basically the same exact spiel as these guys. Tell me thy company, and I'll tell thee what thou art. That's from Don Quixote, which is appropriate considering the windmills you are fighting here while the actual dragon is standing behind you.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Oh look, it's another one of these douchebags. Run along before this gets unpleasant.

Dude, none of what you wrote here makes one ounce of sense.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
@NeonTaster

I hope this doesn't break up our comedy duo, Amalekite N Andy.

Iran isn't making bombs and hasn't ever done that. Meanwhile, Israel already has hundreds of them.

Nuclear weapon fearmongering is just an excuse for Israel to get money and hurt a major Islamic competitor
to their regional dominance.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
@NeonTaster

Iran isn't making bombs and hasn't ever done that. Meanwhile, Israel already has hundreds of them.

Nuclear weapon fearmongering is just an excuse for Israel to get money and hurt a major Islamic competitor
What are you talking about? There is global consensus that they are developing bombs. The only ones that are saying they aren't are Iran themselves. Read an IAEA report sometime and get back to me.

You seriously have no fucking idea what you're talking about. Iran already engages in more proxy warfare than any nation on the planet, including trying to assassinate the Saudi Ambassador to Washington and funding almost all of the anti-Sunni jihad in Iraq. This isn't about politics, it's about life or death. Literally.

And you're a smart guy, which is why it's hard for me to believe that you're a complete moron on this one isolated topic. You have some other motive.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
@NeonTaster

Sorry, but anyone with two brain cells and a pulse can figure out that Iran is trying to build nuclear weapons.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
What are you talking about? There is global consensus that they are developing bombs. The only ones that are saying they aren't are Iran themselves. Read an IAEA report sometime and get back to me.

You seriously have no fucking idea what you're talking about. Iran already engages in more proxy warfare than any nation on the planet, including trying to assassinate the Saudi Ambassador to Washington and funding almost all of the anti-Sunni jihad in Iraq. This isn't about politics, it's about life or death. Literally.

And you're a smart guy, which is why it's hard for me to believe that you're a complete moron on this one isolated topic. You have some other motive.
You mean the global consensus of the 2007 and 2011 National Intelligence Assessment that had every single intelligence agency
in the United States flatly declare that Iran didn't have a nuclear weapons program? Not even Israel said Iran had one.

Face it, people have been crying wolf about a nuclear bomb in "3 to 5 years" in Iran since the Ayatollah of Fatwah Rock N Rolla seized power in the 1970s.
It is just a bunch of crap to hurt Iran because a weak Iran is good for Israel and Saudi Arabia. That is all it ever was.

Creasy Bear

Donator
[VOS]Heresh duh ting[/VOS]

If Palestine/Iran just magically POOF! disappeared off the planet tomorrow... Israel would live in relative peace and harmony with the rest of the civilized world.

Now... if Israel just magically POOFEDED off the planet tomorrow... Palestine/Iran would take all the the hatred they had for Israel, and INSTANTLY... without missing a beat... they'd refocus their savage fu on the rest of the civilized world.

[VOS]THAT is the diffrensh[/VOS]

Neon

ネオン
Donator
You mean the global consensus of the 2007 and 2011 National Intelligence Assessment that had every single intelligence agency
in the United States flatly declare that Iran didn't have a nuclear weapons program? Not even Israel said Iran had one.

Face it, people have been crying wolf about a nuclear bomb in "3 to 5 years" in Iran since the Ayatollah of Fatwah Rock N Rolla seized power in the 1970s.
It is just a bunch of crap to hurt Iran because a weak Iran is good for Israel and Saudi Arabia. That is all it ever was.
You are fucking bananas. I am talking about IAEA reports from the last couple of years. And the reason the deadline keeps extending is because there are active efforts to do so. Without Stuxnet and Flame this would have all been a moot argument years ago.

And how many times do I have to tell you that Iran is already engaged in active warfare with Israel by being the main financier of both Hizbullah and Hamas, you dolt? People are actively dying in this conflict. I'm sure it seems like politics from where you sit, but have a few Katyusha rockets fired at your house that were bought and delivered by Iran and your perspective might change. I'm floored at how ass backwards you look at this situation, and again - it relates directly to your overall negative view of Jews.