Obama deserves 'badge of honor' on Israel, says Netanyahu

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Back to BFF's again I guess...:icon_cool

Obama deserves 'badge of honor' on Israel, says Netanyahu

U.S. President Barack Obama shakes hands with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the United Nations in New York September 21, 2011 (Photo:Reuters)

AFP , Wednesday 21 Sep 2011

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu described Wednesday US President Barack Obama's opposition to a Palestinian push for statehood recognition at the UN as "a badge of honor."

"I want to thank you, Mr President, for standing with Israel and supporting peace," Netanyahu said as the two men met before a backdrop of US and Israeli flags on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly Wednesday.

Referring to Obama's vow to veto a Palestinian recognition appeal, possibly in the UN Security Council, Netanyahu said: "I think this is a badge of honor and I want to thank you for wearing that badge of honor."

Using the same words Obama had employed moments before in a speech to the General Assembly, Netanyahu condemned what he said were Palestinian efforts to "short cut" peace talks by seeking UN statehood recognition.

"We both agree that Palestinians and Israelis should sit down together and negotiate an agreement of mutual recognition and security," Netanyahu said.
"This is the only way to get to a stable and durable peace."

"I think the Palestinians want to achieve a state through the international community, but they are not prepared yet to give peace to Israel in return."

Netanyahu also said he hoped that despite intense political pressure, other world leaders would follow Obama and oppose any attempt by the Palestinians to raise the statehood issue in the Security Council.

The atmosphere in the meeting, in which Obama and Netanyahu sat side-by-side behind a boardroom-style conference table, was much warmer than in some of their past talks, notably a testy Oval Office encounter in May.

The talks took place seven hours before Obama was also due to hold a meeting with Palestinian leader Mahmud Abbas amid intense diplomatic efforts to convince him to abandon the recognition drive at the United Nations.

Obama has threatened to wield a US Security Council veto to block such a bid, one year after saying at the UN that if talks saw progress, the world could meet within 12 months to welcome a new member state of Palestine.

The president, who has faced claims by Republican political opponents that he has been too hard on Israel, said the security bond between the Jewish state and the United States had never been stronger than under his watch.

And he warned that only direct talks between Israel and the Palestinians -- a process that is currently stalled -- could bring aspirations for Palestinian statehood to reality.

"Peace cannot be imposed on the parties. It's going to have to be negotiated.

"The ultimate goal of all of us is two states side by side living in peace."

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsCon...rves-badge-of-honor-on-Israel,-says-Neta.aspx

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
Why don't we just let the Israel deal with this shit themselves? Just say'n.

because the Israelis will wipe them out and for some reason the US gov't believes its better for this problem to continue indefinitely than for it to end once and for all.

Sct Ptersns Twn

Looking 4 a New 1st Mate
Dec 4, 2005
Gloucestershire
I am truly sick and tired of the United States backing Israel for "our" own capitalistic reasons. If they want it let them go after all that "sacred" land and prove they deserve it. I would love to sit back (on the sidelines) and watch that shit.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
I just don't care that much either way. Palestine is far from the big picture.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
I am truly sick and tired of the United States backing Israel for "our" own capitalistic reasons. If they want it let them go after all that "sacred" land and prove they deserve it. I would love to sit back (on the sidelines) and watch that shit.
Fucking THIS.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
What's that I smell? Oh yeah, campaigning.

Uh... what?

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
What's that I smell? Oh yeah, campaigning.
There comes a point where you have to wonder if enough "campaigning" pays off enough for the other side where it really doesn't matter which side is in charge.

Between not facilitating a Pal state and sending the navy and AF to kick Libya's ass around, are there really any "sides" in foreign policy do you think? I mean relatively.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
There comes a point where you have to wonder if enough "campaigning" pays off for the other side where it really doesn't matter which side is in charge.

Between not facilitating a Pal state and sending the navy and AF to kick Libya's ass around, are there really any "sides" in foreign policy do you think? I mean relatively.
Yeah, Maaaan! It's all the saaame!!!

No. I do not think that at all. If Scoop Jackson was president instead of Jimmy Carter, we would not have an Ayatollah-run Iran, period. When Hizbullah killed 130 marines in Beirut, Reagan cut and ran. Another president might had crushed Hizbullah then and there. GHWB pushed Saddam out of Kuwait, but then just left him in charge of Iraq, directly leading to the shit going on there now.

I guess you're actually right in one sense - this isn't really about Democrat vs. Republican per se, but it certainly makes a difference WHICH Democrat or WHICH Republican is in office. A Democrat nuked Japan. Maybe a different Democrat or a Republican wouldn't have.

EDIT: And for the record, Obama gave a terrific speech. I just question his motives. The timing coupled with essentially a complete 180 speaks volumes. NY-9 ABSOLUTELY has ramifications on the general elections. the 3% Jewish vote could lose him Florida and Ohio. While not necessarily indicative of the trends in those states, it shows that even easy democrat wins in Jewish areas can now be lost. He's nervous. At least he's doing what actually needs to be done. Can't complain about that. I just know that if he wins the elections he'll go right back to being the same old Obama.

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
I guess you're actually right in one sense - this isn't really about Democrat vs. Republican per se, but it certainly makes a difference WHICH Democrat or WHICH Republican is in office. A Democrat nuked Japan. Maybe a different Democrat or a Republican wouldn't have.
I was with you until you pulled that one out. The two parties had vastly different values that long ago and with them vastly different identities.

And you've got me trumped in muslim savage history pre-1990.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I was with you until you pulled that one out. The two parties had vastly different values that long ago and with them vastly different identities.

And you've got me trumped in muslim savage history pre-1990.
True, but I'm firmly convinced that Hillary would have been better on Israel. My point was that this isn't a Democrat vs. Republican thing. It's a person A vs. person B thing, regardless of parties. Obama is just bad at diplomacy. Can't blame him. He has no experience in it. There are several Democrats that have a far better stance on Israel than Obama (including people like Harry Reid). What I'm trying to say is that in this case, Obama isn't wrong because he's a Democrat. Obama is wrong because he's Obama.

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
Sorry but you're just too inherently biased for me to buy that that's your stance. When you say "Obama is bad at diplomacy" I read it as "Obama is too soft on muslims". Big difference in wording. Knowing he'd be soft on Muslims is the #2 reason I voted for him. The war needs to flow and ebb for it to work in the long run.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Sorry but you're just too inherently biased for me to buy that that's your stance. When you say "Obama is bad at diplomacy" I read it as "Obama is too soft on muslims". Big difference in wording. Knowing he'd be soft on Muslims is the #2 reason I voted for him. The war needs to flow and ebb for it to work in the long run.
He gave the Queen of England an iPod with his speeches on it, and then said that France is America's closest friend. He's a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, and he hosted the Premier of China at the White House while the Nobel Peace Prize was being given in absentia to a human rights activist sitting in a Chinese prison. HE'S BAD AT DIPLOMACY. And I'm not biased. I'm informed.

Also, his soft stance on Muslims sure has helped, right? Right?

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
If he did say that France is America's closest friend, that is precisely the thing I wanted out of him. He knocked it the fuck out of the park. We're in a very tenuous position with our bad economy and our wars and our public image. We need to regain the faith of other nations before we start in on the middle east again. That's the point of these "downswings in doing what we really want to do" aka democratic terms. Ebb and flow.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
If he did say that France is America's closest friend, that is precisely the thing I wanted out of him. He knocked it the fuck out of the park. We're in a very tenuous position with our bad economy and our wars and our public image. We need to regain the faith of other nations before we start in on the middle east again. That's the point of these "downswings in doing what we really want to do" aka democratic terms. Ebb and flow.
Someone who doesn't understand diplomacy voting for someone who doesn't understand diplomacy. Hmm... :icon_cool

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
Partisans honestly baffle me. Deep down they would like for their party to be in office permanently. It's the most unworkable thing I can think of.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Partisans honestly baffle me. Deep down they would like for their party to be in office permanently. It's the most unworkable thing I can think of.
I just explained to you that this isn't a party line thing. You're straying dangerously close to troll territory, mills.

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
Someone who doesn't understand diplomacy voting for someone who doesn't understand diplomacy. Hmm... :icon_cool
OO a personal attack. I had wondered what happened to those (for the last few hours).

My response: fuck the douchebags in Palestine. Deal with them yourselves, fucking whiners.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
OO a personal attack. I had wondered what happened to those (for the last few hours).

My response: fuck the douchebags in Palestine. Deal with them yourselves, fucking whiners.
One of the main reasons Israel doesn't do that is because the U.S. doesn't want it to.

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
I just explained to you that this isn't a party line thing. You're straying dangerously close to troll territory, mills.
What line of business did you say you're in again? I forgot. What's your job?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
What line of business did you say you're in again? I forgot. What's your job?
I'm a research analyst for an organization that monitors media in various middle eastern languages.

I'm also going to bed, so we'll probably continue this tomorrow.

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
One of the main reasons Israel doesn't do that is because the U.S. doesn't want it to.
We do have a bunch of pussies here, I understand your concern and criticism. But these are the sacrifices you have to make to maintain a guaranteed permanent vote in the UN.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
We do have a bunch of pussies here, I understand your concern and criticism. But these are the sacrifices you have to make to maintain a guaranteed permanent vote in the UN.
Just like Russia and China protect Libya, Iran, Syria, North Korea, and each other. Except that they aren't ashamed to do it. For some reason, Obama is ashamed to protect his allies.