Obama Favors Reinstating Assault Weapons Ban!

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
Obama suggests he would seek to revive ban on assault weapons

Factbox

Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:57am EDT
* Obama, Romney gingerly address issue of gun control
* President chides Romney over Republican's past support of ban
* Romney says he's not in favor of new gun legislation
By Sam Youngman
WASHINGTON Oct 17 (Reuters) - Democratic President Barack Obama and Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney engaged in a rare tussle over gun control on Tuesday, and Obama opened the door to pushing for a ban on assault weapons if he wins a second term.
During their second election debate, both men largely danced around a gun-control question, a reflection of how they are wary of offending voters who support gun rights.
However, Obama did say that he would back an assault-weapons ban like the one President Bill Clinton signed in 1994. That law expired in 2004 without being renewed by Congress.
Romney signed such a ban as governor of Massachusetts, but he has indicated that he would not support banning assault weapons as president. He did not say why his stance is different now, but in winning the Republican nomination he courted conservative voters who generally oppose gun restrictions, and he was endorsed by the influential National Rifle Association.
The president, once an ardent proponent of the assault-weapons ban, has done little to push such a proposal forward during his time in the White House. When Attorney General Eric Holder mentioned the possibility in early 2009, the White House backed away from such talk.
But on Tuesday night, Obama appeared to endorse a push for the ban if he is elected to a second term.
"What I'm trying to do is to get a broader conversation about how do we reduce the violence generally," Obama said during the debate at Hofstra University. "Part of it is seeing if we can get an assault weapons ban reintroduced."
Dante Scala, a professor of political science at the University of New Hampshire, said it was "tough to take the president seriously on gun control, given how low a priority it's been on his domestic agenda, and how low a priority it has been for his party's agenda on his watch."
Dan Gross, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said he was encouraged to hear Obama mention the ban.
"It's not surprising," Gross said. "We're very confident that he knows in his heart what the right thing to do on this issue is."
Romney appeared eager to change the conversation away from gun control, saying that the United States should "make enormous efforts to enforce the gun laws that we have and to change the culture of violence that we have."
"Yeah, I'm not in favor of new pieces of legislation on guns and taking guns away or making certain guns illegal," he said.
When the moderator, CNN's Candy Crowley, mentioned that Romney supported and signed such a ban when he was governor of Massachusetts, Romney pointed to the bipartisan support the measure enjoyed.
"It's referred to as an assault weapon ban, but it had at the signing of the bill, both the pro-gun and the anti-gun people came together because it provided opportunities for both that both wanted," Romney said.
Obama used his opponent's answer to continue to try and portray Romney as a flip-flopper.
"First of all, I think Governor Romney was for an assault weapons ban before he was against it," Obama said, mocking the attack Republicans used on Democratic candidate Senator John Kerry's stance on the Iraq war during the 2004 presidential campaign.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/17/usa-campaign-guns-idUSL1E8LH23E20121017?type=marketsNews

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
of course he does hes pandering for votes

A press release from 2004....

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Executive Department
State House
Boston, MA 02133
(617) 725-4000

MITT ROMNEY
GOVERNOR

KERRY HEALEY
LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
July 1, 2004
Shawn Feddeman
Nicole St. Peter
(617) 725-4025

ROMNEY SIGNS OFF ON PERMANENT ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN
Legislation also makes improvements to gun licensing system
In a move that will help keep the streets and neighborhoods of Massachusetts safe, Governor Mitt Romney today signed into law a permanent assault weapons ban that forever makes it harder for criminals to get their hands on these dangerous guns.
“Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts,” Romney said, at a bill signing ceremony with legislators, sportsmen’s groups and gun safety advocates. “These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people.”
Like the federal assault weapons ban, the state ban, put in place in 1998, was scheduled to expire in September. The new law ensures these deadly weapons, including AK-47s, UZIs and Mac-10 rifles, are permanently prohibited in Massachusetts no matter what happens on the federal level.
“We are pleased to mark an important victory in the fight against crime,” said Lieutenant Governor Kerry Healey. “The most important job of state government is ensuring public safety. Governor Romney and I are determined to do whatever it takes to stop the flood of dangerous weapons into our cities and towns and to make Massachusetts safer for law-abiding citizens.”
The new law also makes a number of improvements to the current gun licensing system, including:
  • Extending the term of a firearm identification card and a license to carry firearms from four years to six years;
  • Granting a 90-day grace period for holders of firearm identification cards and licenses to carry who have applied for renewal; and
  • Creating a seven-member Firearm License Review Board to review firearm license applications that have been denied.
“This is truly a great day for Massachusetts’ sportsmen and women,” said Senator Stephen M. Brewer. “These reforms correct some serious mistakes that were made during the gun debate in 1998, when many of our state’s gun owners were stripped of their long-standing rights to own firearms. I applaud Senate President Travaglini for allowing the Senate to undertake this necessary legislation.”
“I want to congratulate everyone that has worked so hard on this issue,” said Representative George Peterson. “Because of their dedication, we are here today to sign into law this consensus piece of legislation. This change will go a long way toward fixing the flaws created by the 1998 law. Another key piece to this legislation addresses those citizens who have applied for renewals. If the government does not process their renewal in a timely fashion, those citizens won't be put at risk because of the 90 day grace period that is being adopted today.”
“Never before has there been such bi-partisan cooperation in the passage of gun safety legislation of this magnitude in this nation,” said John Rosenthal, co-founder and chair of Stop Handgun Violence. “I applaud the leadership of the Governor, Senate President, House Speaker and entire Legislature for passage of this assault weapons ban renewal. They have shown that Massachusetts can continue to lead the nation in protecting the public and law enforcement from military style assault weapons.”

###

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
I love how both gave wishy-washy answers, but by the reactions, you'd think Obama said he's sending stormtroopers to raid your gun cabinet tonight and Romney will personally deliver a Browning .50 Cal to each house.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Mittens would sign it, too. Regardless of what his campaign says.

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
Mittens would sign it, too. Regardless of what his campaign says.
This.

consider the fact that he has already done just this.

Obama saying he would look to re-instate one is troubling. But let me use a bit of logic that the right wing likes to throw around when confronted with troubling policy problems with their candidate.... It would have no chance of ever passing.

There, that takes care of it right?

Then you can get down to the rest of what Obama said about gun laws... we need to enforce the laws we have on the books.

Which is better than what Romney said about assault weapons bans... We need to have two parent homes and not have kids until marriage.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
Bush was ready to sign it but he was never given the opportunity And he was suppose to be Mr Texas cowboy..

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Mitt Romney doesn't support an assault weapons ban because he believes it is already illegal to buy machine guns in the US.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Mitt Romney doesn't support an assault weapons ban because he believes it is already illegal to buy machine guns in the US.

Mittens is a maroon. In states where it is legal, you can buy and possess machine guns, with government approval.

Just pay the NFA tax and wait your turn for the stamp.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Assault - Convincing someone you wish to cause them harm.

Weapon - something used to injure, defeat, or destroy.

Whether it's a fully-automatic firearm or a hammer, it is already illegal to use those objects in a criminal assault. Also, neither object can technically be called an "assault weapon" until they are used in both an assault, and as a weapon.

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
Obama supports an assault-weapons ban so much that he's spent his entire first term doing nothing about it--unless you count selling them to Mexican drug cartels so they can sell sell them illegally here.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Mitt "Mittens" Romney said:
"Yeah, I'm not in favor of new pieces of legislation on guns and taking guns away or making certain guns illegal," he said.
Then why did you sign such a ban while you were Governor of Massachusetts, asshole?

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
Then why did you sign such a ban while you were Governor of Massachusetts, asshole?
If what I've read about it is correct, it seems like it was a case of making more people happy than unhappy. I'd say most gun owners don't own AK-47s, so most gun owners don't care if they have to trade the right to buy them in order to get longer terms on their gun licenses. Liberals (and there are plenty of them in Massachusetts) are happy because they get to ban something and conservatives are happy because they don't have to renew their licenses as often.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Obama supports an assault-weapons ban so much that he's spent his entire first term doing nothing about it--unless you count selling them to Mexican drug cartels so they can sell sell them illegally here.
Obama sold them???? Holy shit, how come no one ever mentioned this?

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger

If you really believe he had no idea it was going on, then . . . well, you still aren't doing a good job of defending him. As far as I can tell, his defense for both Fast and Furious and the inadequate security in Libya/lies about what happenned in Libya is that he wasn't aware of it. How can either of those situations go unnoticed by the President, let alone both?

Or was your reply an attempt to defend him by acting as if I was suggesting he personally sold the weapons out of the trunk of his limo, therby making my post seem unreasonable?

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
. How can either of those situations go unnoticed by the President, let alone both?
I know its the wrong thread for this, but do you honestly think that personnel requests for longer TDY tours from all ~300 consulates make it up to the president? Or do you think something like that might be handled at some lower level in the State Dept. ?

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
I know its the wrong thread for this, but do you honestly think that personnel requests for longer TDY tours from all ~300 consulates make it up to the president? Or do you think something like that might be handled at some lower level in the State Dept. ?
When it involves security at a consulate in an unstable country that is known to have people in it who have a strong hatred for our country, there were 2 previous attacks on the consulate this year, and there had been threats made specifically against Chris Stevens then yes I expect the President to have been briefed on the situation. He gets a security brief every day. I highly doubt attacks on a consulate and requests for increased security at that consulate were never mentioned to him at any time. Even if he hadn't been told about the request for increased security, he's the President and he could easily have made the decision to increase security there based on the 2 prior attacks this year.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Yes he did, it happened right before he marched into Pakistan and took out bin Laden.

Hack Hawk Down said:
I agree. They should admit Mitt is a gun grabber. I already posted the press release when he signed an assault weapons band as recently as 2004.
And as recently as 2007, Obama was talking about bankrupting the coal industry, escalating our energy costs, passing socialized healthcare in his first term, and was still referred to as "Kenyan born" by his publisher. Your point?

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
When it involves security at a consulate in an unstable country that is known to have people in it who have a strong hatred for our country, there were 2 previous attacks on the consulate this year, and there had been threats made specifically against Chris Stevens then yes I expect the President to have been briefed on the situation. He gets a security brief every day. I highly doubt attacks on a consulate and requests for increased security at that consulate were never mentioned to him at any time. Even if he hadn't been told about the request for increased security, he's the President and he could easily have made the decision to increase security there based on the 2 prior attacks this year.

No one and on mean no one would expect that requests for longer TDY tours made in July 2012 from one of the ~300 consulates to make it to the president for his personal attention. Part of the request was for a security camera so they didnt have to have a guard stand and watch classified equipment. Do you think he got that one as well? That is all handled at the State Dept. It went from the agent making the request, to the RSO, to the State Dept. ... and according to you they said "Well, holy shit, we've NEVER seen anything like this before!!! We dont have the authority to lengthen a TDY tour... QUICK, rush this over to the President!!! only he can approve something like this!!!!"

You have to be trolling.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
If you really believe he had no idea it was going on, then . . . well, you still aren't doing a good job of defending him. As far as I can tell, his defense for both Fast and Furious and the inadequate security in Libya/lies about what happenned in Libya is that he wasn't aware of it. How can either of those situations go unnoticed by the President, let alone both?

Or was your reply an attempt to defend him by acting as if I was suggesting he personally sold the weapons out of the trunk of his limo, therby making my post seem unreasonable?
The way you phrased it, you made it sound like Obama was personally giving guns to cartels, or at the very minimum had authorized the BATFE to give guns to cartels, neither of which are remotely true.

And no one gives a shit about Libya except the mouth breathers at Fox News. Are we still worried about the ignored security memos in August 2001 that led to the deaths of 1000x more people?

Now that he's admitted it, will his minions admit he's a gun grabber?
How many guns has he grabbed?

gator1010

Oct 13, 2011
Florida
Yessss!!!! I hope both of these phags want to take our guns away, ramp this revolution up sooner than expected! My generation needs something!