Obama ignores questions about the drug war... again.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/30/obama-marijuana-online-chat_n_1242907.html?ref=tw

Obama Ignores Pot-Related Questions In Monday's Online Chat

First Posted: 01/30/2012 8:58 pm Updated: 01/30/2012 9:08 pm

WASHINGTON, DC -- President Barack Obama in an online "conversation" with American voters on Monday, failed to answer a barrage of questions about marijuana legalization or the drug war.

Although 18 out of 20 of the most popular questions submitted by voters via YouTube were about the drug war or pot, the president in his 45-minute post-State of the Union chat didn't address a single one.

"It is disappointing that, yet again, the administration has declined the opportunity to discuss the very serious issue of ending marijuana prohibition," Erik Altieri, spokesman for National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, wrote in an email. "For the ninth time, the White House has solicited the American people for direct input on the issues they cared about and then, when the resulting answers called overwhelmingly for marijuana law reform, President Obama ignores the will of the American people on this burning issue."

Google, which moderated the event from 5:30 p.m. to 6:15 p.m., did not immediately respond to a query about why such questions were excluded. YouTube, a division Google, allowed users until Saturday midnight to designate a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" on questions submitted ahead of Monday's chat. Questions with the most thumbs up were deemed the most popular.

While the president did find time to talk about a whole host of less weighty questions, including ones about late-night snacks, dancing and his tennis skills, a response to a top-rated question submitted by Stephen Downing, the retired deputy chief of police in Los Angeles, was conspicuously absent.

Dowling's question, which garnered more than 4,500 votes, ranked first in popularity among questions submitted via video and second out of all questions.
He asked the president to address a growing voter constituency that wants more changes to drug policy than he has delivered in his first term. "From my 20 years of experience I have come to see our country’s drug policies as a failure and a complete waste of criminal justice resources," Dowling had said in his video.

Later commenting on his question's being ignored in Monday night's chat, Downing, a board member of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, wrote, "It's worse than silly that YouTube and Google would waste the time of the president and of the American people discussing things like midnight snacks and playing tennis when there is a much more pressing question on the minds of the people who took the time to participate in voting on submissions."

"A majority of Americans now support legalizing marijuana to de-fund cartels and gangs, lower incarceration and arrest rates and save scarce public resources, all while generating new much-needed tax revenue," Downing added. "The time to discuss this issue is now. We're tired of this serious public policy crisis being pushed aside or laughed off."

This isn't the first time the issue of drug policy has dominated online contests soliciting questions from the president only to be ignored. In last year's "Your Interview with the President" competition, Obama did discuss the issue, however, calling legalization and regulation of marijuana and other drugs "an entirely legitimate topic for debate" and adding that he remained opposed to legalization of medical marijuana.

Medical marijuana activists are wondering what happened to the candidate who promised to maintain a hands-off approach toward pot clinics' adhering to state law.

"I will be voting in the Republican primary in California, and I will be voting for one of the candidates who supports our position on medical cannabis," said Steve DeAngelo, executive director of California-based Harborside Health Center told The Huffington Post in a recent interview. "I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other medical cannabis patients join me."

"There's a real opening here for Republicans," he said.

A White House spokesman, when asked for comment about why no marijuana-related questions were addressed on Monday, noted that the event had been moderated by Google and the president was merely answering questions posed to him.

Aug 11, 2005
[video=youtube;oCQMTdf7mEY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCQMTdf7mEY[/video]

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Meanwhile, Gary Johnson has spoken openly about and critically of the drug war.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Bwahahahahahahahaha! I'm sure they are just lining up to give hippies their devil weed.
Well there were TWO republicans advocating the legalizing of marijuana: Ron Paul and Gary Johnson. The supposed liberal democratic president refuses to even address it, and allows his DOJ to break his promises about not raiding dispensaries.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
Can these cunts take a look at this country? Detroit and Baltimore are prime examples of the drug wars failure.

Aug 11, 2005
Can these cunts take a look at this country? Detroit and Baltimore are prim examples of the drug wars failure.
not really the drug war, That was the EPA and their regulations, least for Detroit and the auto industry.

and oh yeah the nigs and the underground railroad

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Can these cunts take a look at this country? Detroit and Baltimore are prime examples of the drug wars failure.
The wars along the Mexico border are the biggest examples. You legalize and regulate the drug trade and the illegal demand goes down, therefore the suppliers will have no incentives for violence to protect less profit.

You'll never get rid of it completely, but you can make it so that it's not worth employing former spec ops groups to battle police and rival cartels.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I do find it interesting that the only hope, however small, for legalizing drugs lies within the Republican Party.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Well there were TWO republicans advocating the legalizing of marijuana: Ron Paul and Gary Johnson. The supposed liberal democratic president refuses to even address it, and allows his DOJ to break his promises about not raiding dispensaries.
With that type of endorsement you might as well hold out for Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I think we'll see it legalized in the next few years. There are far too many people who are for it, now.
20 years at the earliest. The generation that believes that it's a harmful substance has to die off first.

DJ Evel Ed

MayYourCumCrustedCocksBeConstantlyCoveredInCunt
Nov 30, 2003
Up your ass!
Coming from a police chief, and not some unwashed hippie, you would think Obama would maybe listen. He's worse than the customer service n****** at my online pharmacy. Just worthless....

Please God let Ron Paul win the nomination.....

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Coming from a police chief, and not some unwashed hippie, you would think Obama would maybe listen. He's worse than the customer service n****** at my online pharmacy. Just worthless....

Please God let Ron Paul win the nomination.....
Yeah, it's pretty bad that they go out of their way to ask the American people to solicit questions to the President, and then ignore 18 out of the top 20 most popular ones. Why fucking bother if he never intended to actually consider answering real questions?

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
I think we'll see it legalized in the next few years. There are far too many people who are for it, now.
Are you serious? Unless Paul gets in the white house the feds are never going to legalize drugs. They make way too much money from it and it causes lots of crime. Newt still has a small chance of winning and he wants to execute people if they have 2 ounces or more.

Paul still has a chance and Obama knows if he answers the question he can kiss the young vote good bye if its him vs Paul.