OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Obama officials back oil pipeline from Canada

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Party Rooster, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

The environazis are pissssed...

[​IMG]

2. Motor Head

Motor Head HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL

Well they do have the pipeline mapped out going right over the Ogallala Aquifer in Nebraska. If the pipeline ruptured (and they do from time to time) it would destroy the aquifer and render millions of acres of farmland unusable because there wouldn't be any irrigation water available.
    [​IMG]
    A quick lesson about the aquifer is that it's a huge underground lake that spans several states and provides vital irrigation to the country's most productive farmland. In addition to providing 83% of irrigation water it also provides 78% of the drinking water for the high plains states.

3. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

How about this:at least have a time consuming, detailed lesson about the fucking aquifer before you decide that a ruptured oil pipeline would destroy American agriculture as we know it.

4. CousinDave

CousinDave Registered User

I wouldn't be surprised if Little Barry wants it to rupture and destroy the farm land. He's destroyed manufacturing in this country so it would make sense that his next target is farming.

5. Fustercluck

Fustercluck Registered User

there's a little kirk in all of us

6. Motor Head

Better to keep it simple. Oil goes into water, stuff that needs water to live doesn't like oil. It dies. Oil - good for gasoline, bad for drinking and growing food. Will a small rupture contaminate the entire aquifer?Some say yes, some say no. I only ask if it's worth the risk. A spoon full of motor oil can fuck up 10,000 gallons of drinking water, at least that what I was told when I was in the Air Force.

7. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

It's not simple. It's very, very complicated. People spend years studying engineering, and decades gaining experience, before being allowed anywhere near the room where they decide what the best route is for a pipeline like this.

If you're not going to do the research, that's fine. But then you really shouldn't try to get involved with any aspect of the decision making process.

That question has a complicated answer, and requires knowledge and experience in the oil business to even begin to understand it. If you don't have that knowledge, asking it is pointless.

And before you call me arrogant again, I'm not trying to pretend to know anything about this. All I know is that it is not a political issue, it's a business and engineering problem. Politicians should stay out of it, and so should the general public. If someone gets actual proof that this is going to harm them, they can present it in a Court of Law, not in the media or on websites. Then a Court can ask all the necessary questions and, with the help of expert testimony, can make an objective evaluation on the merits of any such claims of risk.

You can't, and you shouldn't try to until you can.

8. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

Reminds me of:

9. Party Rooster

How often do these things leak? There's thousands of miles of pipeline throughout this country yet you rarely hear about major problems. I remember there was one that sprung a leak during the BP spill somewhere in Utah I think and they got it taken care of pretty quick. And I'd imagine a modern-built one would have all kinds of safety features and sensors that could determine if there was a drop in oil pressure somewhere along the line.

10. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

Yup, they don't leak often. $85 a barrel pays for lots of quality engineering to insure you don't lose any.

11. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

So let me guess, the people complaining about pipelines possibly rupturing and spoiling their aquifer are the same ones who believe we need to set up hundreds more platforms in the Gulf and Pacific to drill and pump oil from. You know, those structures that have an impeccable record for never spilling a drop of oil into the ecosystem.

12. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 Sailing into the Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

Same shit, new scenario.

By me they were building a highway to connect 2 major interstates.
    The people whined that it would kill the wetlands and forced the road
    to drop to 2 lanes in each direction to save the marsh.

Now it's a constant back up with cars and trucks idling for long times
    in rush hour traffic. I'm sure that's great for the environment. They delayed
    the construction for years but it finally went thru and now they whine about
    the air quality from the stalled traffic that would have never been a problem
    if they would have let the road go thru with the extra lane that really didn't
    pose a threat to any thing. Fucking fools.

13. MetalBender

MetalBender I like fistables.

Far more often than there are spills, and oil sand settles and seeps for years causing far more damage and costs alot more to clean up. Think of it like sand paper going threw a pipeline with toxic chemicals to make it flow. Great stuff.

14. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

Not sure if trolling, but those platforms do actually have an impeccable record. Deepwater Horizon is the first major incident in the history of Gulf Coast drilling, and you and I both know that was the fault of a few beurocrats pressing engineers to stay on budget rather than some far-reaching safety protocol discrepancy.

If you were joking, ok. If you were serious, you should fucking know better.

15. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

There are far more advanced anti-corrosion systems available now vs the pipelines that were laid decades in the past. I'm actually working with an engineer right now attempting to get his new corrosion controls system marketed on a grand scale. It's a huge part of the business.

16. Party Rooster

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/08/29/top-nasa-climate-scientist-arrested-at-white-house/

17. BIV

BIV I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

Fixed.

/story

18. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

Brilliant. Meanwhile, they might have to just let the ISS fall into the ocean, because they forgot to plan for a way to get to it for the next ten years.

19. Party Rooster

Mostly typical hippies found on HuffPo's slideshow from the protest.

[​IMG]

This chick definitely seems doable though...

[​IMG]

20. Party Rooster

Your governor agrees...

21. Party Rooster

Problem Obama?

:trollol:

22. Begbie

Begbie Wackbag Generalissimo

Canada seems a bit miffed...

More hatin on our black President, I see. Racist country. Should've known with your 2.5% black population. :icon_cool

23. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Six reasons why the pipeline is a bad deal from a lefty blog.:icon_cool

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/01/18/six-reasons-keystone-xl-was-bad-deal-all-along/

24. Motor Head

Please note this guy is a hardline conservative Republican, is extremely pro business He has referred to this pipeline as a scam when it comes to jobs.

25. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

Then I guess we've found an issue that he's an uninformed boob on that he's willing to exploit for votes.

There's hundreds of thousands of miles of oil pipeline already running all across the country. I'm sure there are already smaller pipelines around the exact aquifer these people are working so hard to defend.

Look, this pipeline is bad for me on a personal level as it will reduce the demand for the oil my company produces, but I would be completely dishonest if I said I thought it was in any way a bad idea.