Obama: The First Billion Dollar Campaign

I think its fucking disgusting that campaign finance laws (or lack thereof) have allowed this shit to get this big...

Obama campaign close to $1 billion
From USA Today:

October 8. 2012 - President Obama is edging closer and closer to U.S. history's first billion dollar campaign.
"All told, Obama's campaign and the committees it controls have raised $923 million," reports National Journal.
"If they raise just half as much in October as they did in September," it added, "Obama's campaign will indeed become the first billion-dollar campaign in history."
As it stands now, it doesn't look like the Republicans will hit the 10-figure mark.
The money is used not only for television and radio ads, but field offices and other get-out-the-vote efforts.
National Journal's Reid Wilson notes that Democratic fundraising belies previous statements by Obama and other campaign officials that news stories about a billion dollar campaign were exaggerated.
In a piece entitled "The Obama Who Cried Wolf," Wilson cites an e-mail Obama sent out in August telling supporters, "I will be outspent this election."
Don't bet on it.

Last edited:

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I wonder what it looks like in battleground states because I ain't seen shit in Illinois.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Lol, the dems have made the republicans broke ass punks with their own money.

I wonder what it looks like in battleground states because I ain't seen shit in Illinois.
The next month is going to suck if you live in Ohio, Florida, Colorado, Virginia, Nevada, Iowa, New Hampshire or Wisconsin and you watch TV, listen to the radio, answer your phone, or get mail.

Thank god for netflix.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
And the libs will still try to portray him as the blue collar under dog fighting the big evil rich corporate guy.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
The next month is going to suck if you live in Ohio, Florida, Colorado, Virginia, Nevada, Iowa, New Hampshire or Wisconsin and you watch TV, listen to the radio, answer your phone, or get mail.

Thank god for netflix.
Even with the toss-up states, Romney won't be able to pull it off. Yet another Republican FAIL.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.

Thank god for netflix.

Well I dont know if Pa is a swing state but I received an Obama call today and my wife did last week. First time I have ever gotten a call from a democratic party. All automated and asked if I would vote for him in November. We get a ton of ads on tv, hell this weekend there was an ad for Obama from the debate about what Romney said.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Which young attractive female democratic campaign workers are willing to trade sex for votes?

And the libs will still try to portray him as the blue collar under dog fighting the big evil rich corporate guy.
Yes and the Republicans will try to portray Romney as a warrior for true salt of the earth, heartland values.

The race really is like American Idol.

I think the reason why Obama is still fundraising is because this year, his campaign did something they didn't do in 2008.
They have sub campaign groups working for each special block of voters: Jews, Catholics, Asians, Women, Gays, Latinos, Students, Muslims, Blacks, Environmentalists, etc. etc.
They will spend a lot of cash on election day teams, get out the vote efforts, phone banks, advance voting, and lawyers to defend people who want to vote for Obama but are told they cannot for some reason.
Obama can win Ohio and Wisconsin and lost every other swing state and still win. That's why so much money will be spent in those states in particular.

Last edited:

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
And they got a shit ton of money illegally.

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Jul 26, 2005
White guilt is some powerful shit.
Apparently Chinese guilt too:
  • In 2008, Obama.com was purchased by an Obama fundraiser living in Shanghai, China, whose business is heavily dependent on relationships with Chinese state-run television and other state-owned entities.
  • 68% of traffic to anonymously-registered Obama.com is foreign: According to industry leading web analytics site Markosweb, an anonymously registered redirect site (Obama.com) features 68% foreign traffic. Starting in December 2011, the site was linked to a specific donation page on the official BarackObama.com campaign website for ten months. The page loaded a tracking number, 634930, into a space on the website labeled “who encouraged you to make this donation.” That tracking number is embedded in the source code for Obama.com and is associated with the Obama Victory Fund. In early September 2012, the page began redirecting to the standard Obama Victory Fund donation page.
  • The Obama Campaign lacks the industry-standard level of credit card security for donations, but uses it for merchandise purchases: To purchase Obama campaign merchandise, the campaign requires buyers to enter their credit card CVV security code, but does not require the credit card security code to be entered when making an online campaign donation. By GAI’s estimates, the Obama campaign’s failure to utilize industry-standard protections potentially costs the campaign millions in extra processing fees.
http://campaignfundingrisks.com/key-findings/

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I'll go out on a limb and say I have no problem with the amount being spent. What I do have a problem with is that large amounts of it are illegal.

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Jul 26, 2005
Even with the toss-up states, Romney won't be able to pull it off. Yet another Republican FAIL.
The leftists circle-jerking in their echo chamber won't know what hit them this November.

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Jul 26, 2005
Yes and the Republicans will try to portray Romney as a warrior for true salt of the earth, heartland values.
They have sub campaign groups working for each special block of voters: Jews, Catholics, Asians, Women, Gays, Latinos, Students, Muslims, Blacks, Environmentalists, etc. etc.
You forgot "foriegn nationals"