Obamacare/Supreme Court Over/Under Speculation Thread

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
I figgered since the ruling was due out this week, maybe even today, we could have a little fun guessing how the ruling will go.

I'm going with the individual mandate overturned 6-3. Ginsberg, Sotomayor, and Briar dissenting.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
5-4 down party lines. Chief Justice Roberts, Alito, Scalia, Thomas and Kennedy shut it down. Wise Latina pens the dissenting opinion en Espanol. Viva la wisa la raza.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
Good. Let the little Boy King get outraged. Forcing people to purchase something is totally overstepping government authority.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Individual mandate tossed, along with certain other provisions, but parts of the law will likely stand. Obama throws a shit fit, Romney says the Supreme Court did well, but we still need to repeal the rest of the bill. 5-4 split decision.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Individual mandate tossed, along with certain other provisions, but parts of the law will likely stand. Obama throws a shit fit, Romney says the Supreme Court did well, but we still need to repeal the rest of the bill. 5-4 split decision.
This.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
What Plank said.

Myhairygrundle

Jul 16, 2005
Texas
Or Obama will use it to pander to his base so he can have a second term to "get it right".

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
So assuming it gets tossed, what will the basis be? Will SCOTUS reverse Raich and Wickard, and open the door to challenge state's authorities on medical marijuana, among other possibilities?

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
This. Individual mandate is obviously unconstitutional.

Myhairygrundle

Jul 16, 2005
Texas
So assuming it gets tossed, what will the basis be? Will SCOTUS reverse Raich and Wickard, and open the door to challenge state's authorities on medical marijuana, among other possibilities?
Are those cases you cite currently up for review or appeal?

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
The health care sector of the equities markets has done well the past week, I wouldn't bet against the money people knowing what's up.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
SCOTUS deadlocks and settles the dispute with a Tweedle Deedle Paddle Battle.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
5-4 overturned. Obama's campaign misinterprets the ruling on "mandate" and decides to post a contest on GLAAD's website offering a candlelit dinner with the president in just a Chippendale's outfit. Highest donor takes the prize.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
Its going to be a huge disaster for the country even if they just overturn the part that forces you to buy a product from a private company. I'll bet they purposely put that part in there knowing it will get thrown out, just to distract from the awfulness of the rest of it. Stossel had a surgeon on his show talking about some of the awful parts hes read.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Throw the whole fuckin thing out. (BUT BEGBIE!!!! WHAT ABOUT ALL OF THOSE 20-SOMETHING'S ON THEIR PARENT'S PLANS!!!!! WAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!) Fuck'em! :icon_cool

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Are those cases you cite currently up for review or appeal?
The precedents set by those cases would indicate that HCR will be upheld. If it is found that a Congress overstepped its bounds, that opens the door for appeals of cases currently being judged based on the Raich and Wickard precedents, one of which declared that Federal law trumps states' rights on medical marijuana cases (Read Scalia's opinion in Gonzalez vs Raich and substitute health care/insurance for medical marijuana where appropriate)

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
I have to say the "individual mandate" is the only thing about ObamaCare that I support

The problem is that the penalty for not complying is less than the cost of complying

Only the likes of Little Barry, Princess Nancy, Queen Barney, etc... could come up with such nonsense

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
The big Zero will be throughly outraged if its shitcanned.
Good.

Good. Let the little Boy King get outraged. Forcing people to purchase something is totally overstepping government authority.

It certainly is.

Most likely outcome...

Or Obama will use it to pander to his base so he can have a second term to "get it right".
Of course this will happen.

Throw the whole fuckin thing out. (BUT BEGBIE!!!! WHAT ABOUT ALL OF THOSE 20-SOMETHING'S ON THEIR PARENT'S PLANS!!!!! WAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!) Fuck'em! :icon_cool
Well, I remember quite the discussion about how there is no severability clause in the Obamacare bill...

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
I do actually support the part about allowing parents to cover their kids up to the age of 26. Especially in this day in age, where it's damn near impossible to find work coming out of college. If parents are going to pay for the extra coverage...why should I give a shit?