OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Obama's UN Global Anti-Terror Forum. Guess Who's In, And Guess Who's Out

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Neon, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Kinda like Guess the Race, but infinitely more predictable.

See, but this isn't the reason Jews are jumping the Obama ship, it's because Jews only care about money. :icon_cool

2. ShooterMcGavin

ShooterMcGavin Go back to your shanties.

I....apparently have no opinion.

3. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

You take things too seriously.

4. OAarchive

OAarchive Banned

I hope you spoke with Obama before putting his name on your thread Neon...

5. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

You can't invite the pariah to the party...

6. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

It's kinda like having Cuba and Saudi Arabia on the UN Human Rights Council.

I know the issue is close to home, but I really don't get the pandering to the Jewish vote that goes on. The Jewish population in America accounts for 1.4% of the country, but they get way more than their share of political attention. I understand the alliance with Israel, just not the constant reassurances to the Jewish voters that we are good allies with Israel. On the same note, unions only represent about 5% of all Americans, but you would thing that 98% of the people who vote democrat are in a union. They spend way too much time assuring these two groups that they are on their side, instead of going after the 93% of the country that doesn't give a shit about Israel or unions. Ok, enough of my off-topic ranting. Sorry.

7. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Yup.

Well, one reason would be money (true for Jews and Unions), but actually it is more pandering to the pro-Israel vote than the Jewish vote. Jews have generally voted Democrat over the past few decades regardless of the position on Israel, not to mention that some of the most rabid Anti-Israelis in this country are Jewish. Pro-Israel Americans (around 70% of the past 30 or so years) have historically voted either Republican or Pro-Israel Democrat. It's actually more an issue of international allies vs. trying to make new friends and foreign policy decisions in general. If Obama started shitting on South Korea and kissing Kim Jong Il's ass, many of the same people would be outraged, myself included.

8. afternoonquil

afternoonquil Apology Ostrich

I've been working in my parents backyard for some time now, i've made neighborhoods for the Arabs out of Legos and Duplo blocks, they can move there in a few years.

The ghettos will be made out of Tyco block.

9. OAarchive

OAarchive Banned

lulz.

10. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

I don't know how you manage to make me fucking laugh with almost every one of your posts. #shredding is one of my favorites.

I guess that makes sense, but I didn't really figure that a Pro-Israel stance is that big of a deal to most voters. Certainly not a big enough deal to get a Republican to switch parties or vice versa.

11. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

It's not about Jewish solidarity, it's about shared values. We support Israel because it's the only civilized nation in the region.

12. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

It doesn't exist in a vacuum. Usually the Pro-Israel politicians represent a certain line of foreign policy, and the Anti-Israel politicians represent another. It is just more visible than other topics because the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is a central world affairs topic.

13. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

By the way, Josh - Don't forget that plenty of Christians care a lot about Israel. Currently, Israel is a largely safe and stable place that welcomes Christian visitors, and allows freedom of worship. The Muslims are less known for those qualities. Many Christians don't like the idea of Muslims controlling Christian Holy sites like the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, considering their past record with other religions in Jerusalem.

14. Party Rooster

Isn't the point of this thing to supposedly get these nations with their homegrown violent extremists to better identify and deal with that? And that some of them have positive diplomatic relations with more hardcore countries that actually sponsor terrorism? So by inviting the pariah to the party, wouldn't that just make more nations unlikely to participate?

And then there's this:

So it sounds like a logistical nightmare anyway. And it's not like we don't share intelligence and CT techniques with the Israelis already.

I'm calling it...

[​IMG]

;)

15. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

It's the only international issue that's been in the news on a weekly basis, for the past 60+ years. I think it's clear by now that Americans really, really care about what happens in Israel. We care more than we care about any place on Earth, outside the US, and probably more than quite a few places inside the US.

16. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

There are 30 countries in that forum. Plenty of them are Western nations. It's about bilateralism, and if those countries were serious about counterterrorism, they would want to learn from the best.

Why exactly did they have to base it in a place that doesn't allow Israelis? And read my above quote. It's not about Israel learning. It's about Israel teaching.

I don't get it.

By the way, partycock - are you being a contrarian simply for the sake of being a contrarian, or do you really think this is the right way to go about it?

17. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

I understand that it is an often mentioned topic, but I don't think the younger voter base really gives much of a shit about it. American politicians care very much what happens to Israel, as do Christians (like Neon said) but both of those demographics tend to be older and out of touch with what the mainstream of the newer generation cares about. Of course most Americans don't want to see anything bad happen to Israel, but it is becoming less and less of an issue for younger people. I would bet that if you did a survey of voters under 35 you would find that very few would say that Israel's future should be a significant factor in the formulation of our foreign policy.

18. Party Rooster

It'd be like inviting Steinbrenner to your baseball fantasy league draft. Sure he's probably an expert on the topic but everybody that's not a Yankees fan hates him and wouldn't want to show up.

It's not.
    Like I said, I think it's just some bullshit feel-good UN type initiative designed to steer native Muslim populations away from extremism.

:trollol:

If Israel was announced as a "partner," how many of those 30 would have dropped out? Probably just about every one of the Muzzie countries. Even Jordan, Egypt and Turkey's relationships with Israel have strained lately and they would have probably bowed out.

And it looks like there may be a loophole for Israel to be represented without being officially on the masthead.

19. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

See, that's what I don't get. You are basically caving to bullies. They won't sit at the table with Israel (even countries that have no direct beef with it), so the answer is to just not invite Israel? How is that smart foreign policy? You are already opening the door to fucking bullshit by caving to such a childish demand to begin with. You're right, it's a bullshit UN thing, and Obama shouldn't have touched it with a 50 foot pole, let alone put his name all over it.

Exactly. Use the back door, Jew. That way the Islamists can exploit your knowledge while saving face with their savage populations.

20. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

Amen. The only announcement I want to hear about the UN is that the U.S. is pulling out.

21. Party Rooster

Because then it doesn't happen at all and nothing gets done (not that anything will anyway).

[​IMG]

22. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Exactly. Why would Obama want his name on something like that again?

23. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

But those fucking mouthy fags should be happy with their civil unions, quit bitching about a simple word like "marriage", right?

It would be interesting to see what other countries affected by terrorism were excluded. Does Norway have a seat?

24. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

A. I never said that.
    B. What the fuck does that have to do with this?
    C. Troll is troll.

25. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

a. Never said you did
    b. You seem to have a problem not with the actual activity but with the label associated with said activity. Sounds familiar
    c. Are you going to call me fat now?