Obscure 2008 DVD Releases

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
I have a question folks. I haven't heard of these films until I watched the trailers on the DVD Revolver (Guy Ritchie Film that Statham interviewed for on OA).

The first of them come from the director of Donny Darko and it's called Southland Tale featuring Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) about the "end of the world." I don't have any faith in the ability of The Rock to carry a film and make it good so I don't know if the movie would be interesting enough to buy. It looks to be in the middle of dogshit and possibly interesting. I'm not sure. Have any of you seen this?

The second one is Slipstream about an old man's last days of life and going through his memories. It's written/directed by Anthony Hopkins and also features him as the main character. I don't even think this film went to theaters. I'm thinking it's just a straight to DVD release. Wiki says it was in six theaters and made $9,000. It looks interesting though. I may buy it.

The final film is called Cleaner and it's a murder mistery type film about a crime scene cleaner that finds out that a murder occured and was cleaned up by someone and not reported to police. It stars Samuel Jackson and Ed Harris. I don't know about this one...I think this is a straight-to-DVD film as well.

So, has anyone seen these films and what do you think about them?

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Southland Tales is generally considered one of the worst movies of last year. Never heard of Slipstream. And any Sam Jackson direct-to-DVD movie is certain to be complete shit.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Southland Tales is generally considered one of the worst movies of last year. Never heard of Slipstream. And any Sam Jackson direct-to-DVD movie is certain to be complete shit.
I like Val Kilmer but he also has a straight-to-dvd film out right now that has to be the worst piece of shit that he's ever been associated with. It's called "Conspiracy." ooooooh sounds interesting right?

It looks like a fucking student film that cost about $2,500 to make. I can't believe someone spent the money to actually distribute it.
It makes me wonder if it's fucking joke but unfortunately it isn't :(.

[yt]xd6NRC8rpG4[/yt]

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
The first of them come from the director of Donny Darko and it's called Southland Tale featuring Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) about the "end of the world." I don't have any faith in the ability of The Rock to carry a film and make it good so I don't know if the movie would be interesting enough to buy. It looks to be in the middle of dogshit and possibly interesting. I'm not sure. Have any of you seen this?
Southland Tales was kind of weird, kind of confusing. It's an odd movie all around but I honestly dug it. I thought it was really fun and entertaining. Don't know about the others. Not really into straight-to-DVD movies. I have my own shit to deal with.

The second one is Slipstream about an old man's last days of life and going through his memories. It's written/directed by Anthony Hopkins and also features him as the main character. I don't even think this film went to theaters. I'm thinking it's just a straight to DVD release. Wiki says it was in six theaters and made $9,000. It looks interesting though. I may buy it.
Got limited release. Didn't see it. I remember Roeper liking it.

The final film is called Cleaner and it's a murder mistery type film about a crime scene cleaner that finds out that a murder occured and was cleaned up by someone and not reported to police. It stars Samuel Jackson and Ed Harris. I don't know about this one...I think this is a straight-to-DVD film as well.
??

And any Sam Jackson movie is certain to be complete shit.
Fixed.

What? it's been awhile since he's made anything tolerable.

Jables2002

Breaking Down The 8th Wall
Jul 1, 2005
Corona, CA
Was REALLY looking forward to Southland Tales after I saw Donnie Darko, but never got a chance to see it in theaters, and everyone bashed it, so I may have to rent that one.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
Southland Tales....I wouldn't call it the worst film of last year. But it's one of those films you'll either enjoy or utterly hate. It's INCREDIBLY bizarre, one of those films where you literally have to watch more than once to even understand what the fuck is going on.

Apr 12, 2003
cleveland
Southland Tales was awesome.... if you like end of the world movies with complex plots that make you figure it out... everything in that movie is explained and can be explained...

I generally hate people who say 'oh you didn't like it cause you don't get it' -- but in the case of Southland Tales it is true. Plus it's music + scene selections is on par with Tarantino. Brilliant film.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Southland Tales was awesome.... if you like end of the world movies with complex plots that make you figure it out... everything in that movie is explained and can be explained...

I generally hate people who say 'oh you didn't like it cause you don't get it' -- but in the case of Southland Tales it is true. Plus it's music + scene selections is on par with Tarantino. Brilliant film.
That's why I don't base my selection on critics or places like rotten tomatoes. Because most of them are arrogant movie snobs that want everything to be Citizen Kane.

I have movies that I like because they are odd and thought provoking with hidden messages and small objects placed in the film to explain characters/scene but you don't notice at first.

But a lot of folks don't like films that you have to think about.

I myself HATE blatantly stupid films(Daniel Whitney/Larry Cable Guy), hacky films, comic book films (with few exceptions), black films, and "comedy" films because they are NEVER funny.

I just wasn't sure if this falls into the category of blatantly stupid film with the dumb jokes and 8th grade dialogue. If Todd Hilliar likes it then it's probably not a film I'm going to enjoy. That's the rule of thumb that I go by.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
That's why I don't base my selection on critics or places like rotten tomatoes.
But rotten tomatoes is the only place to go for movie reviews. It takes all the reviews from around the country and averages them. It's the only place to go. Brother Wease turned me onto it when I was in Rochester. It's the only movie review site I trust because sometimes your local guy will give a movie three stars and...

Because most of them are arrogant movie snobs that want everything to be Citizen Kane.
I actually love Citizen Kane, find it as re-watchable as Goodfellas and think it falls under your line I quote below. There's a lot of subtlety that I didn't catch my first few times watching it and little moments that I re-see again. I find it wonderful.

I have movies that I like because they are odd and thought provoking with hidden messages and small objects placed in the film to explain characters/scene but you don't notice at first.
Southland Tales is like that. (Not saying it's Citizen Kane but it is an odd, thought provoking movie.)

Zona992006

New Wackbag
Jan 26, 2007
You didnt like soul plane? Race baiter...

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
You didnt like soul plane? Race baiter...
No, I've never seen the nagger films like Soul Plane, Diary of a Mad Black Woman, Look Who Be At Da Cribs Fo Grub, Soul Food, Meet the Browns, or this new one that's on the screen about those crazy ole family members coming home for a visit to bicker and fight but end up sharing a family bond and love over the dinner table Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins.

I just don't waste my time. Who's Your Caddy? Hahahaha that's pure comedy...blech.

jagsfans

Dec 26, 2005
Jacksonville FL
I saw the slipstream and southland tales on a DVD rental of The Nines. That was a limited release movie w/Ryan Reynolds that I thought was quite good. I also plan on renting Romance and Cigarettes (John Turturro movie that he promoted on Ron and Fez)

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I saw the slipstream and southland tales on a DVD rental of The Nines. That was a limited release movie w/Ryan Reynolds that I thought was quite good.
I really liked the Nines too. (It also helps that Hope Davis is oddly hot.) It also made me realize that I like Ryan Reynolds.

I guess since we're throwing out DVDs, I also liked Duchovny's The TV Set. A straightforward movie but I thought it was entertaining. Probably more so if you're interest in behind the scenes entertainment stuff. (jags will understand why The Nines got me to thinking about The TV Set.)

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
But rotten tomatoes is the only place to go for movie reviews. It takes all the reviews from around the country and averages them. It's the only place to go. Brother Wease turned me onto it when I was in Rochester. It's the only movie review site I trust because sometimes your local guy will give a movie three stars and...
Maybe it's great for you, but I could give a shit about what any critic says about any movie.

It all boils down to whether a movie interests me. If it does, I'll see it, in theaters or on DVD, regardless of reviews.

If there's a film that wouldn't ordinarily interest me that I might ignore gets strong word-of-mouth from people that I know......well, then I might give it a shot. But critic reviews aren't going to mean anything to me.

silentbob8201

Jun 29, 2005
When Lord When will the BMX movie RAD get a DVD release date?

Zona992006

New Wackbag
Jan 26, 2007
No, I've never seen the nagger films like Soul Plane, Diary of a Mad Black Woman, Look Who Be At Da Cribs Fo Grub, Soul Food, Meet the Browns, or this new one that's on the screen about those crazy ole family members coming home for a visit to bicker and fight but end up sharing a family bond and love over the dinner table Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins.

I just don't waste my time. Who's Your Caddy? Hahahaha that's pure comedy...blech.
You sound like a real Walloon...a real wagger and a real winja..:D

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
I liked southland tales. Lots of "what the fuck?" while watching it,but pretty entertaining.
On a side note,I read somewhere that there are supposed alleged possible suspects that could,by an honest mistake,with no bad intentions,DL things called "torrents" so they can "preview" movies to see if they like them. Thusly leading to a purchase of said movie.Or CD.Or software.

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
These were released a while ago but if this topic is movies you liked that most people probably haven't seen...

Shoot 'em Up - Clive Owen movie with Paul Giamatti as the bad guy. It's kind of a goof movie, but I thought it was worth watching. It's basically an action movie parody. Sounds bad in theory but it's actually pretty clever. You'll get douche chills but you'll like it anyway.

Sunshine - Interesting movie with maybe one of the worst endings I've ever seen. It's worth watching just to see how quickly a movie can unravel. I liked the first half though...It's also very pretty.

The Lookout - Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays half a tard who robs a bank. Cmon...How can you not love that? At least I think that's what the movie was about...It was a while ago when I watched it...Either way I remember it was definitely worth watching. Maybe I should have started with this one, it's better than the first two.

Brick - Slightly older movie but I think I have a man-crush on Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Weird movie, weird dialog, sort of reminded me of Donnie Darko. Good movie. Definitely check it out if you've never heard of it.

Sorry if my reviews kinda suck but just trust that I wouldn't recommend a movie that's complete dogshit. All of these could probably be obtained in high quality off of the internet but I, being a proud and upstanding citizen, would never do such a thing.

Apr 12, 2003
cleveland
Shoot 'em up was pretty fun.

Sunshine was alright too.

Couldn't watch the lookout just cause I hate that kid who's the lead in it

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Couldn't watch the lookout just cause I hate that kid who's the lead in it
The Lookout was actually a pretty good small film. I have never seen the Third Rock From the Sun kid in any movies but he didn't do bad. I bought the film on Blu-ray because Jeff Daniels is in it and it's hard for him to fuck up a film.

Go watch it. It's a pretty decent small film.

I've just been on an Idependent/Small film kick for the last few years. I just hate the shit that's mainstream with few exceptions that come around like No Country and I Am Legend (prefer the alternate version from the theatrical release).

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Shoot 'em Up - Clive Owen movie with Paul Giamatti as the bad guy. It's kind of a goof movie, but I thought it was worth watching. It's basically an action movie parody. Sounds bad in theory but it's actually pretty clever. You'll get douche chills but you'll like it anyway.
I really dug this movie. It was just non-stop fun action with no pretentiousness, no frills, it was a fun time.

Sunshine - Interesting movie with maybe one of the worst endings I've ever seen. It's worth watching just to see how quickly a movie can unravel. I liked the first half though...It's also very pretty.
I liked this too. I know what you mean by it unraveling but once I accepted it, I thought it was fantastic. Though I already knew I liked Cillian Murphy and Danny Boyle is a hell of a director, this movie made me like Chris Evans.

The Lookout - Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays half a tard who robs a bank. Cmon...How can you not love that?
Haven't seen it yet. But I like JGL as an actor. Never saw that one coming

Brick - Slightly older movie but I think I have a man-crush on Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Weird movie, weird dialog, sort of reminded me of Donnie Darko. Good movie. Definitely check it out if you've never heard of it.
It's a 40s-style film noir in dialogue and tone but set in a modern high school. I really liked it and they show it on HBO on occasion. It also has the hot Jedi Mind Trick lady from Heroes and Claire from Lost.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas

What? Is that supposed to be a high school film noir? I don't know. I saw the trailer and it doesn't look believable for some high school shit.

I can't watch films that don't look believable unless I know they are sci-fi type films and it still has to be plausible to some degree for me to enjoy it.