OCZ ries 2.5" Solid State Drive - 240GB, SATA III, 6Gbps $139 Free Shipping

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
That is a REALLY good price, even before rebate. I just got delivered this same drive in the 60GB version for $60 with a $10 MIR from newegg. I have been building pcs for 15 years and usually upgrade no less than every 2-3 years and have not seen a performance jump more than installing an SSD for the boot drive. Write speeds are not that much more impressive than mechanical drives but read speed and boot is very impressive.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
It didn't speed things up as much as I'd thought for gaming, but it was faster in other ways. It boots up so fast that it's hard to really measure. It takes longer for my Asus Bios Screen to disapear than it does to boot windows. I never shut my computer off anymore. I just let it go into sleep mode and it wakes up instantly ready go. I have to remember to shut it down once in a while so it can do updates.
I think they are only going to get cheaper.

Mags

LDAR king
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
It didn't speed things up as much as I'd thought for gaming, but it was faster in other ways. It boots up so fast that it's hard to really measure. It takes longer for my Asus Bios Screen to disapear than it does to boot windows. I never shut my computer off anymore. I just let it go into sleep mode and it wakes up instantly ready go. I have to remember to shut it down once in a while so it can do updates.
I think they are only going to get cheaper.
Yeah it seems they aren't the boon for gaming we all thought it would be. Not sure if it's better currently but a year ago I seemed to see a lot of gamer posts in other forums about SSD failures.

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
Out of the very small sample size of Crucial m4 SSD drives I've been installing for some people at work, I've seen 1 out of 5 go bad due to firmware not being updated.
I'm still contemplating picking up a couple. I saw a RAID setup with SSDs, and I want to try it.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
Yeah, I've seen online demos of Raids with a ridiculous octopus of cables with write speeds off the charts. I don't get why it would be any faster seeing that it's flash memory and doesn't have physical heads and platters, but is. I guess just having 3 is enough to have a noticeable speed increase.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Wow that is cheap... I remember back in the day I bought an IBM raid enclosure (for the Art Depts file server) with 10 9.1 GB 10,000 RPM SSCI drives was about 15k ish.

Mind you nothing compared to when they upgraded the AS/400... I think the hardware and disk upgrade for that was like 78k.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
When I worked in Florida, back in 90-91', there was a place next door to our little industrial park that did major hardware upgrades for big mainframes. They used to toss these huge old hard drives the size of washing machines and they had these big plastic domes the size of salad shooters. You could look inside and see the actual disk platters the size of 78 records.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
When I worked in Florida, back in 90-91', there was a place next door to our little industrial park that did major hardware upgrades for big mainframes. They used to toss these huge old hard drives the size of washing machines and they had these big plastic domes the size of salad shooters. You could look inside and see the actual disk platters the size of 78 records.
Yep... IBM System 36... and 34 as well I think...