Offically defecting from the iPhone

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
I've had an iPhone since the 3GS. I've had that, a 4, and a 4s. The Samsung Galaxy S4 is coming out at the end of the month and after reading all the specs and features I've offically decided to defect over to an Android phone. Fucking this is badass. It has a 5" 1080p HD display (!) (16 mill colors and its only a half inch smaller than the Note II), 16gb interal storage plus a micro SD slot that hold another 64gb for a total of 80gb, an IR transmitter so it can control all of your tv devices, 4G LTE(obviously), plus there is software that you can sync your iTunes library onto it with. The list goes on and I'm blown away by this thing
For all the details:
http://m.att.com/shopmobile/wireless/devices/samsung/galaxy-s-4-16gb-white-frost.html

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I'm tempted to buy this phone, but I can't justify moving on from my Galaxy Nexus yet. I hope the S5 is amazing, because as of now that's probably going to be my next phone (unless they release another Nexus that's comparable).

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
I'm tempted to buy this phone, but I can't justify moving on from my Galaxy Nexus yet. I hope the S5 is amazing, because as of now that's probably going to be my next phone (unless they release another Nexus that's comparable).
I'm eligible for a upgrade. I'm getting this $199. Plus I'm selling my iPhone 4S and 3GS to Gazelle for $225 so basically I'm getting it for free. Plus switching to a droid is going to lower my cell phone bill about $20 so it's I'm really making out here.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
You won't be sorry. I have a Nexus right now but will be
moving to an S4 as soon as I'm eligible for an upgrade.
My wife has an Iphone and I'm not impressed with it.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
This feature is interesting:

Eraser:

Erase unwanted people or objects in pictures with just one touch.

Wonder if it is like the clone tool in PhotoShop... and of course I wish I had waited to get the S4. Mind you I am very happy with the S3 though.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
This feature is interesting:

Eraser:

Erase unwanted people or objects in pictures with just one touch.

Wonder if it is like the clone tool in PhotoShop... and of course I wish I had waited to get the S4. Mind you I am very happy with the S3 though.
I was gonna get the Galaxy Note II till I saw the dimensions of this phone and all the features I was like fuck yeah

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Me too... like I went from an HTC Aria to an HTC Inspire then to this one... rather not go much bigger then the S3 though.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
Me too... like I went from an HTC Aria to an HTC Inspire then to this one... rather not go much bigger then the S3 though.
The S3 is actually bigger (only by a cpl hundredths of an inch) dimensionally and is thicker

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Oh I thought the S4 was bigger... my bad... then I should of waited... feh.

But par for course my Inspire was starting to act wonky... even after a factory reset. I swear they put a timer in these things to self destruct after 18 months. On a side note my 6 year old Razr still works... even the one that went through the washing machine still works.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ

But par for course my Inspire was starting to act wonky... even after a factory reset. I swear they put a timer in these things to self destruct after 18 months. On a side note my 6 year old Razr still works... even the one that went through the washing machine still works.
One thing about iPhones is I can't seem to be able to kill them. My 3GS was literally coming apart at the seams. Like whatever adhesive they used to hold the screen on had finally started to dry out and was separating and I had had it for over 2yrs at that point. I only upgraded when I finally lost the power button on top. If still have my 4 had I not dropped it and shattered the screen. Thank god for insurance or I would of had to use an upgrade

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
One thing about iPhones is I can't seem to be able to kill them. My 3GS was literally coming apart at the seams. Like whatever adhesive they used to hold the screen on had finally started to dry out and was separating and I had had it for over 2yrs at that point. I only upgraded when I finally lost the power button on top. If still have my 4 had I not dropped it and shattered the screen. Thank god for insurance or I would of had to use an upgrade
Give it to my chick... let's see:

Iphone 4: Dropped perfectly on the corner on carpet broke screen.
Iphone 3s: Dead back light for the screen.
Razr 3 something (Can't remember the model): drowned
Blackjack: Puppy chewed phone cracked screen.
Razr: Dropped keypad doesn't work.

And she ran one over with her car before I met her... mind you I have drowned one of my smart phones though. I still have my original Razr I got like 7 years ago... and it is a bit beat up but it still works. The other two phones I had basically decided to stop working. I have one that if you turn it on it heats up like a mother fucker.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002

for the most part they do, my buddy sells commercial cell phones, if you get two years out of one your lucky, its not the phones fault, its really ours, the technology is so fragile because its so small

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
I had the iPhone 4...then went to HTC Rezound...and now S3, which I got really cheap. S3 is just a phenomenal phone...very well built, not buggy or anything (unless you start messing with different ROMs) and the screen is beautiful. I rooted mine, and got rid of all of the Samsung/Verizon bloat and the thing is just perfect for me.

It's like what they always say...Apple does make excellent phones and they're super easy for people to figure out. There's just so little you can do with it...in terms of customization. And there has been no real options...you have your iPhone, black or white, and can basically pick the different size storage you want, that's been about it. Not a big deal when alot of people use cloud services anyway. My S3 is more like a pocket-sized computer...full customization, really fast, and just so much you can do with it. And say I don't want S3, there are a ton of other brands and phones, at different prices, that I can choose from.

I'll wait to get an S4...maybe when my contract is up (by that time, S5 might be almost out)...but as of now...I'm completely content with the S3 for as long as necessary.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
I had the iPhone 4...then went to HTC Rezound...and now S3, which I got really cheap. S3 is just a phenomenal phone...very well built, not buggy or anything (unless you start messing with different ROMs) and the screen is beautiful. I rooted mine, and got rid of all of the Samsung/Verizon bloat and the thing is just perfect for me.

It's like what they always say...Apple does make excellent phones and they're super easy for people to figure out. There's just so little you can do with it...in terms of customization. And there has been no real options...you have your iPhone, black or white, and can basically pick the different size storage you want, that's been about it. Not a big deal when alot of people use cloud services anyway. My S3 is more like a pocket-sized computer...full customization, really fast, and just so much you can do with it. And say I don't want S3, there are a ton of other brands and phones, at different prices, that I can choose from.

I'll wait to get an S4...maybe when my contract is up (by that time, S5 might be almost out)...but as of now...I'm completely content with the S3 for as long as necessary.
It sucks the only way you can customize the iPhone is to jailbreak it and apple has made that no longer easy to do. Then once you do it you have to wait 3-6 months to upgrade your iOS so a new jailbreak can come out and then you gotta do it all over again to put your shit back. It's part of the reason I'm bailing plus I want a decent size screen to watch shit on. I watch a lot of hockey games on my phone. The only problem I'm gonna have is finding a new dock for my room and my truck if they even make em for the s3/4

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
It sucks the only way you can customize the iPhone is to jailbreak it and apple has made that no longer easy to do. Then once you do it you have to wait 3-6 months to upgrade your iOS so a new jailbreak can come out and then you gotta do it all over again to put your shit back. It's part of the reason I'm bailing plus I want a decent size screen to watch shit on. I watch a lot of hockey games on my phone. The only problem I'm gonna have is finding a new dock for my room and my truck if they even make em for the s3/4
GameCenter works real well for Android. I almost feel like watching games on my phone instead of the PS3 app, which is shit.

And once you root, there's just so much you can do. Titanium Backup always comes in handy. Another big plus about Apple is the lack of bloatware...but yeah, once you're rooted, that's no longer an issue. I will admit though, some Apple apps pissed me off too (Newsstand...which I never used and you can never bury it in an app).

Oh, and XDA usually has good recommendations for docks and other accessories. I got a $20 Samsung car dock off Amazon that is made for the less popular Samsung Infuse, but fits the S3 nice and snug. Considering the dimensions of the S3 and S4 are pretty close...it might fit S4. Something to look into, at least.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
GameCenter works real well for Android. I almost feel like watching games on my phone instead of the PS3 app, which is shit.

And once you root, there's just so much you can do. Titanium Backup always comes in handy. Another big plus about Apple is the lack of bloatware...but yeah, once you're rooted, that's no longer an issue. I will admit though, some Apple apps pissed me off too (Newsstand...which I never used and you can never bury it in an app).

Oh, and XDA usually has good recommendations for docks and other accessories. I got a $20 Samsung car dock off Amazon that is made for the less popular Samsung Infuse, but fits the S3 nice and snug. Considering the dimensions of the S3 and S4 are pretty close...it might fit S4. Something to look into, at least.
You're gonna have to walk me thru rooting when I get it. How easy is it?

I also searched amazon already and added a s3 car dock that you can adjust to the phones size and a Bluetooth adapter that goes over the 30pin apple connector on my ihome ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008EL58YA/ref=aw_ls__5?colid=32UIEQAO1TX8Z&coliid=I1EGCWI7IX5VBG ) to my wish list for later (hope that doesn't make less manly Gorilla Pimp)

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
You're gonna have to walk me thru rooting when I get it. How easy is it?

I also searched amazon already and added a s3 car dock that you can adjust to the phones size and a Bluetooth adapter that goes over the 30pin apple connector on my ihome ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008EL58YA/ref=aw_ls__5?colid=32UIEQAO1TX8Z&coliid=I1EGCWI7IX5VBG ) to my wish list for later (hope that doesn't make less manly Gorilla Pimp)

Yeah, that dock should work just fine.

Definitely need to look into it...but it's generally easy to root most Samsung phones. With that said, the S4 could be a completely different story...we won't know until the phone has been released. I've heard of some devs successfully root the S4 firmware early this month...but it could be a different process than, say my S3, (which was basically to install the Samsung drivers on a computer and run a program called Odin and it does most of the work).

Considering the fact the S4 and the mini-S4 will probably be the most popular devices for the rest of the year and the amount of attention it has been getting already...I'm sure you'll be able to easily root it on day one.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
Yeah, that dock should work just fine.

Definitely need to look into it...but it's generally easy to root most Samsung phones. With that said, the S4 could be a completely different story...we won't know until the phone has been released. I've heard of some devs successfully root the S4 firmware early this month...but it could be a different process than, say my S3, (which was basically to install the Samsung drivers on a computer and run a program called Odin and it does most of the work).

Considering the fact the S4 and the mini-S4 will probably be the most popular devices for the rest of the year and the amount of attention it has been getting already...I'm sure you'll be able to easily root it on day one.
That Bluetooth adaptor is pretty sweet too the dock powers it. I need it cause I use my dock for an alarm because I need it blaring loud to wake me up (that and I spent $100 on this fucking dock)

For rooting its kinda like blackra1n then so just point me in the direction of where I need to go and ill figure it out.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine

That any they let you expand the memory... I was thinking about getting another HTC phone until I found out you couldn't put in a SD card... and nope I can't remember which one.

One of the things that pisses me off the most about the Iphone is that new end they have on the data/charging cables. As my chick has a shit ton of accessories that work with the old style. Even her car has the old style adapter so you can use the phone as an MP3 player and get this a phone through the in car microphone etc... and yes I know they make an adapter.

And why doesn't Apple use a regular USB connection... and yes I know rhetorical question...

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
That any they let you expand the memory... I was thinking about getting another HTC phone until I found out you couldn't put in a SD card... and nope I can't remember which one.

One of the things that pisses me off the most about the Iphone is that new end they have on the data/charging cables. As my chick has a shit ton of accessories that work with the old style. Even her car has the old style adapter so you can use the phone as an MP3 player and get this a phone through the in car microphone etc... and yes I know they make an adapter.

And why doesn't Apple use a regular USB connection... and yes I know rhetorical question...
I've also had a few third party Apple chargers/docks that suddenly didn't work in my iPhone. The connection would fit, but you'd get a popup saying that the accessory is not compatible with the device. They tweak their devices ever so slightly so they can push their overpriced accessories. I've also learned HTC chargers don't work with my Samsung S3, yet my Samsung charger works with my old HTC Rezound. So, between all of the devices in my house...my son's iPod, my other son's Kindle (which oddly doesn't seem to charge with some HTC/Samsung chargers), my wife's Nexus, and my S3...we've got about 8 different chargers to sift through.

And memory expansion is so important to me also. I'm not a "cloud" guy...I like having my all of my shit on my card and in my phone. I've got a 64GB card in my S3, with 16GB built in, so 80GB total (minus the small amount that usually gets siphoned away after it's installed). It's that or get an iPhone and pay an extra $100 for 64GB for the same damn phone. Fuckin ripoff.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
So, between all of the devices in my house...my son's iPod, my other son's Kindle (which oddly doesn't seem to charge with some HTC/Samsung chargers), my wife's Nexus, and my S3...we've got about 8 different chargers to sift through.
Tablets like the Kindle and iPad need a 2 amp charger. So get yourself some 2 amp micro USB chargers and it will also charge the phones faster. Or get the 2 amp charging "block" and just swap out the USB cables for iPods and phones/tablets.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I really only use the cloud thing for a back up for my Quicken shit... as had a hard disk shit the bed a few years ago and lost 2 years worth of entries...

On a side note sometimes when I plug my phone in my Windoze 8 laptop I get a message saying something to the effect of "this USB does not have enough power to charge" or something like that.

Never get that message on my computer (Win 7)... note in either case the USBs are both USB 3...

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I am curious if new cars give you the new Apple 5 cable... or are you stuck with the old style then have to get an adapter.

I do know the cable for my chicks car is like $70ish bucks... as it has a wacky end that plugs into the car.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Every car I've driven that has iPod connectivity has just a normal USB connection.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Every car I've driven that has iPod connectivity has just a normal USB connection.
Well my chicks car is a 2009 Nissan cube... with a proprietary cable that lets you do a bunch of stuff from the steering wheel...