Official Anthony Bourdain Post place

Kugzilla

Roar. Go: Eagles, Flyers, Philles, Buckeyes, etc.
Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
I thought a dedicated space for dicussion of all things Bourdain would be a good thing.

Books, his shows, etc.

I recently read Kitchen confidential and am reading medium raw now.

:)

Kugzilla

Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
I just read some of his comments on Chang. Maybe I misread it, but I didn't find it that inflammatory

Kugzilla

Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
Page 17:

"David Chang, whose crazy-ass pony ride to the top of the heap has just begun, feels, I suspect, all of the above motivations: a deadly combination of too few seats at his high-end standard-bearer restaurant, an ever-increasing number of talented loyalists, and a feeling that he'll never be truly good enough at anything."

SatansCheerledr

Ideologically Unsound
Apr 6, 2005
I Will Pay Snakes To Bite You
Chang's Momofuku cookbook is my favorite cookbook of all time and I probably have about 600. Lucky Peach magazine #1 is also brilliant. I saw him once at Ivan Ramen in Setagaya but he and the people he was with were having so much fun there was no way to say hi without doing the "ol' needlescratch to silence" bit.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
Chang's Momofuku cookbook is my favorite cookbook of all time and I probably have about 600. Lucky Peach magazine #1 is also brilliant. I saw him once at Ivan Ramen in Setagaya but he and the people he was with were having so much fun there was no way to say hi without doing the "ol' needlescratch to silence" bit.
I remember seeing you there and hoping you wouldn't come talk to us.

Kugzilla

Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
About 70 pages into medium raw. Page 71 he totally puts over some ideas from Chang.

Last edited:

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
Your sister's underwear drawer
I'm a huge Bourdain fan. I went on a long sea voyage last year and I had the first five seasons of NO RESERVATIONS on my laptop. Shit, I must have watched every episode at least five times.

My favourite episodes would have to be Hong Kong for the food and Los Angeles for those hot roller derby bitches.:p

I like PARTS UNKNOWN, although it goes a little too heavy on the socio-political aspect of where he goes as opposed to the food. But I guess when you make a show for CNN that's to be expected.

rockpup

Sick Puppy
Jun 2, 2005
Souf Florida
I've been digging no reservations, and recently got Kitchen Confidential. I do agree with Cash that Parts Unknown is a bit political, but considering the shit he saw doing NR and could not comment on I am not surprised. Still interesting.

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
Apr 14, 2004
Just outside NYC
I'm kinda psyched about this next Peru episode. For reasons, that 99.99% of you wouldn't give a fuck about. I want to see that chocolate!! Hidden in the hills they found an area of cacao that is insanely pure and therefore gives amazing chocolate. I want some!

TomC

uppity neobarb
Aug 1, 2006
Charleston, SC
His show on CNN keeps getting preempted, Boston bombing, ok. tornado. i understand, but 3 days later when i check my DVR its old news and no show for me, Cnn needs to update the listings fast so my DVR will record the next showing

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
I'm kinda psyched about this next Peru episode. For reasons, that 99.99% of you wouldn't give a fuck about. I want to see that chocolate!! Hidden in the hills they found an area of cacao that is insanely pure and therefore gives amazing chocolate. I want some!
Who's the happy boy now?

somnarium

deftones or somefuckin' body
Aug 24, 2012
Haven't watched tonight's episode of Parts Unknown yet, but throwing my hat into the big Anthony Bourdain fan ring.