Official Wackbag Photography thread

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
What's the consensus here on Canon's refurbs? I see some positive talk elsewhere about the warranty being the same as new models. I saw them offer a 80D refurb kit for $721 around Halloween (gone now, but wondering if promo might come back by end of month), and didn't take advantage wondering if that really was the best this season would offer. Given my budget, I'm still keeping an eye out for an 80D (maybe Nikon D7200), or anything out of my league that might come close to the < $800 range and retain warranty, which I'm assuming precludes the newer models in the same mid-level range. Incidentally, I'm not sitting on lenses, so my slate is pretty clean.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
What's the consensus here on Canon's refurbs? I see some positive talk elsewhere about the warranty being the same as new models. I saw them offer a 80D refurb kit for $721 around Halloween (gone now, but wondering if promo might come back by end of month), and didn't take advantage wondering if that really was the best this season would offer. Given my budget, I'm still keeping an eye out for an 80D (maybe Nikon D7200), or anything out of my league that might come close to the < $800 range and retain warranty, which I'm assuming precludes the newer models in the same mid-level range. Incidentally, I'm not sitting on lenses, so my slate is pretty clean.
I would get a used full frame Nikon but that’s just me

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
On my way to a job in Ogden Utah and I decided to make a quick side trip to Grand Teton National Park. I got a shit ton more pics and have to go through them still. This is just a random pic of the T.A. Moulton Barn that I took today.

T.A. Moulton Barn at Grand Tetons N.P,

THE FEZ MAN

Like a used D500?
I would probably go even older like a 600 or 610, any of the x00 series that will take older lenses and an SD card, I shoot with a 30 year old 50mm 1.8 all the time with my 610 and took some great shots with a 40 year old 20mm Chinese lens I picked up at a flea market for 10$
The only reason I bought my 600 brand new was because it was the right price for a full frame camera, now that they are more common I wouldn’t even waste time on a half frame (even though I have 2 x-pro 1 that are 1/2 frame but I bought those for a purpose....poor mans leica)

Radioguy

I'm a little gunshy about buying used. I'm just not sure I wouldn't be taken buying a used FF camera. Were I more of a pro, I might feel more confident that I'd spot issues like fungus and excessive shutter counts.

Although, used wouldn't be the only way to get a full frame cheaply. I see some Canon 6D body deals in the 900s. Again, not sitting on lenses here and since any FF kit is gonna top 1k, so I didn't set my sights so high.

THE FEZ MAN

I'm a little gunshy about buying used. I'm just not sure I wouldn't be taken buying a used FF camera. Were I more of a pro, I might feel more confident that I'd spot issues like fungus and excessive shutter counts.

Although, used wouldn't be the only way to get a full frame cheaply. I see some Canon 6D body deals in the 900s. Again, not sitting on lenses here and since any FF kit is gonna top 1k, so I didn't set my sights so high.
Most full frame cameras are built to better standards than the 1/2 frame ones because they were built for the pro market, so, buying a used one is less of a gamble than buying a used 1/2 frame, the outside is a good way to judge the inside if it’s beat up, then you can bet it’s beat, your best bet is to pick one up that some college kid bought used a few times for a class and decided to sell it for dope money

Radioguy

So, essentially Craigslist? Still wary, and what's left of a soul in me wonders if I'm buying something ripped off a neck in Times Sq.

THE FEZ MAN

So, essentially Craigslist? Still wary, and what's left of a soul in me wonders if I'm buying something ripped off a neck in Times Sq.
Your in NYC aren’t you?

Go see the juden at B&H, or Adarama just be wary because being the chosen ones they like to wack you for shit that should come with the camera like batteries and chargers, oh and be sure to pick up a brand new spare battery, but, they don’t sell junk with out telling you it’s junk

Radioguy

Ah, used at those places? I thought you meant buy from the kid hard up for a fix, which sounded cheap if legit. I'm guessing even a used FF body or kit won't be cheap in the land of oy.

THE FEZ MAN

Ah, used at those places? I thought you meant buy from the kid hard up for a fix, which sounded cheap if legit. I'm guessing even a used FF body or kit won't be cheap in the land of oy.
Yea your right just buy one from a chain snatcher the Chosen ones are out of their minds with their used prices

Radioguy

Which kinda brings me back to square one. Getting a decent non-stolen used FF body/kit for what I'd pay for a new APS-C body/kit doesn't seem likely, does it? (If I'm missing something, let me know)

Anyhow, going back to the earlier question...does anyone have experience with Canon refurbs? An 80D looks like the best I can do...well, hopefully.

Radioguy

Which kinda brings me back to square one. Getting a decent non-stolen used FF body/kit for what I'd pay for a new APS-C body/kit doesn't seem likely, does it? (If I'm missing something, let me know)

Anyhow, going back to the earlier question...does anyone have experience with Canon refurbs? An 80D looks like the best I can do...well, hopefully.
Looks like tonight is the night of the lens and body deal. All the retailers are posting now, and some are offering their stock earlier than their Black Friday promised time to get in on it. The 80D deal DID come back and I grabbed one < $800 and a 50mm prime for around $80. Full Frame deals existed (New and Refurb) and hovering around 1k, so if you have the budget, it's a good time to bite on both Canon or Nikon deals tonight (just too much for me). Even entry level T6-T7i models are going low, and even from places like KOHL's and Target. Canon even had a refurb T6 w/ kit lens for $229.

THE FEZ MAN

Was out feeding my chickens this morning and heard a hawk screeching.

Looks like he was having breakfast

And was irritating the neighbors

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
These are from my trip home from Arizona last month. I went from Phoenix up through Flagstaff and on up through Monument Valley, past Mexican Hat and then up through Moab to Fruita.

Monument Valley

Mexican Hat_2

Mexican Hat_1

Mexican Hat

Tomorrow I am heading over to Nevada and going to Great Basin National Park. I think the road to the top of Wheeler Peak is closed due to snow supposedly, but the Lehman Caves should still be open.