Ok, WTF do I have to do to transfer video files to my XBox 360?

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
I have a thumb drive. I plug it into the console, I let the console format it, the console tells me I have ~3 gigs of free space. I plug the thumb drive into my PC, and my PC says I have less than 3 MB of free space.

All I want to do is have my XBox set up in my exercise room and have some exercise videos (P90X, Extreme Kettlebell) that I've ripped from DVDs I already own because I want the convenience of having them on the HDD of the XBox. Then I can use it as my media hub and use the Kinect if any of the Kinect exercise programs start working at all well.

The fucking PS3 makes it easy as hell to do all of this, but the XBox is a pain in the ass for me. Help.

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
I've got the damned thing playing the videos off the thumb drive now, but I still can't figure out how to transfer the files over to the XBox. The damned thing has ~200 Gb of free space, and I can't transfer over 3 gigs worth of files to it?

Holy shit, this is why I stuck with a PS3 for so damned long.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
I'm not sure how to transfer files, but I do play video files off thumb drives and also have it hooked up to my Media Center PC to stream videos. These aren't options for you?

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
I'm pretty sure you can't. I stream all my shit from a laptop, or use the USB drive, but I've never been able to move anything from a usb drive to the xbox that isn't a gamesave file or a profile.

I got used to that, what pisses me off is the inability to decode certain video types.

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
I'm pretty sure you can't. I stream all my shit from a laptop, or use the USB drive, but I've never been able to move anything from a usb drive to the xbox that isn't a gamesave file or a profile.

I got used to that, what pisses me off is the inability to decode certain video types.
Reformat the files with DVD Flick and then crunch them with Handbrake 0.9.3. The later versions of Handbrake don't have the automatic settings for PS3/XBox 360, and result in fucked up files. You could theoretically just use Handbrake, but putting it through DVD Flick first seems to smooth out a lot of problems. That fixes about 99% of the files I've ever seen. Both programs are free.

For the very, very few legitimate, uncorrupted video files that doesn't work for, ConvertXtoDVD can replace DVD Flick in the above sequence and will give you what you're looking for, but CX2DVD costs a little coin.

I'm just pissed now that I have to keep this fucking thumb drive stuck in my XBox. It uses up a thumb drive while there are TWO HUNDRED GIGS of space on the XBox's harddrive. For fuck's sake, that's just retarded.

Yeah, I could stream off my PC or whatever. Why should I? Why can't I put the files I have on the hard drive I have? Fucking assholes.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Welcome to the beginning of the "XBox 360 sucks" argument!

I NEVER understood how they could put a full-on hard drive in their game system, and NOT ALLOW US TO STORE MEDIA ON IT!!!!!

Grrrrrr.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Welcome to the beginning of the "XBox 360 sucks" argument!

I NEVER understood how they could put a full-on hard drive in their game system, and NOT ALLOW US TO STORE MEDIA ON IT!!!!!

Grrrrrr.
One of my few dislikes with the xbox. It's on purpose. They don't want you to put media on it because they want you to connect your PC to it. It's their goal to have all the media in your house run through the XBOX before it gets to a screen or speaker. Then you would use the XBOX to control everything.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
The only media they want on their HD is stuff with DRM. You could also stream from a Media Server.

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
I rip movies tp mpeg4 and burn to DVD for my Xbox. Plays them just fine. Never tried to save directly to hd.

May 8, 2006
Houston, Texas
Everyone else seems to be for streaming off your PC. I can rarely get that to work.

I just use the system video player and play videos in .avi format.

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
It's a little outdated (that's not the XBox's interface anymore), but it would work if I could figure out how to get the XBox memory interface to recognize that I have videos on my thumb drive.

If I go to "My Video Apps" in the "Video" screen, and then "Video Player", it gives me the option of "Portable Device" (among several others) which I can then enter my thumb drive and then choose which videos to view. That works fine. It's not what I want, but it works.

But when I go to "System" in the "Settings" screen, then go to "Storage", I can select "Memory Unit" (which is my thumb drive), which then gives me nothing under "Videos". Nada. Zip. The memory application doesn't recognize that I have videos on the thumb drive, even though the video player recognizes them.

Could it be a file/folder naming thing? I know with the PS3 that you need to name a root folder "VIDEOS" for the PS3 to automatically recognize that's where you've stored all your videos. I've tried naming folders "VIDEO" and "VIDEOS" on my thumb drive with no joy for the XBox. If I can get the memory interface to recognize the videos, I can transfer them. I just can't figure out how to get the damn thing to recognize them.

But thanks for the attempt, DMG.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I did a little reading today because I was curious, and it doesn't look like you can do this. I tried to access my 360 as a drive on my network from my computer, and that didn't seem to work either.

I don't really need this because I have a home server that I stream all my videos from, but it would be a nice option. I guess you'll just have to have a dedicated thumb drive to leave on the 360 with your media... you can plug it into one of the ports in the back (I assume) if you don't want the eye sore of it sticking out the front.