Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - Tarantino's 1969 movie

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
I can't believe there's no thread for this. I searched, but nothing.

Official synopsis: Los Angeles, 1969. The Summer of Love. Washed-up former Western TV star Rick Dalton (Leonardo DiCaprio) and his best friend and stunt double Cliff Booth (Brad Pitt) are struggling to make it in a Hollywood they don't recognize anymore. But Rick has a very famous next-door neighbor ... Sharon Tate.

Tarantino is describing this as the closest thing in tone and style to Pulp Fiction he's made since then. I take that to mean it'll involve a large cast in an Altman-esque web of interconnected stories, this time against the backdrop of the Manson family murders.

In addition of DiCaprio and Pitt, the still-growing cast includes Margot Robbie as Sharon Tate, Damian Lewis as Steve McQueen, Dakota Fanning as Squeaky Fromme, and Emile Hirsch as Manson victim Jay Sebring.

Also starring in unspecified roles are Burt Reynolds, Kurt Russell, Timothy Olyphant, Luke Perry and Clifton Collins Jr., along with Tarantino regulars Michael Madsen and Tim Roth. Casting is still ongoing for actors to play Manson and Bruce Lee.

Filming is set to begin soon, with a projected release date of August 9, 2019, the 50th anniversary of Tate's murder.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Fine fine. Just get it over with and give the R rated Star Trek movie.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
Your sister's underwear drawer
I'm pretty sure people will be more interested to see who gets cast as Bruce Lee than Charles Manson.

Tarantino has probaby seen every Brucesploitation movie ever made, so he knows the pressure of doing it right.

Discoman

Donator
Feb 21, 2010
New York
So is this going to be a serious film or am I going to watch Charles Manson get his dick cut off by Sharon Tate while 'Till I die' by the Beach Boys plays in the background?

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Michael Madsen must sit by that fucking phone like he's waiting for his baby's kidnappers to call.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
So is this going to be a serious film or am I going to watch Charles Manson get his dick cut off by Sharon Tate while 'Till I die' by the Beach Boys plays in the background?
If he doesn't re-write history, I wonder how he handles the murder scenes without them becoming over the top and appearing to be in a bad taste.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
If he doesn't re-write history, I wonder how he handles the murder scenes without them becoming over the top and appearing to be in a bad taste.
From what I've heard, my guess is the murders happen relatively early in the film, and largely off-screen. It's a movie about that time and place, not about the murders themselves. Think Spike Lee's Summer of Sam.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Aug 25, 2002
NYC
Pitt is worrying. He didn't help Inglourious Basterds at all (it was Waltz's show in the end).

Damian Lewis as McQueen, though...that's tantalizing. I can see him with an Oscar if my imagination is any indication. Could reignite his film career in a big way.

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
I think I'm kind of over Tarantino.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Pitt is worrying. He didn't help Inglourious Basterds at all (it was Waltz's show in the end).

Damian Lewis as McQueen, though...that's tantalizing. I can see him with an Oscar if my imagination is any indication. Could reignite his film career in a big way.
Was Pitt really in that movie? I barely remember his scenes. From what I recall the supporting actors did all of the heavy lifting.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Was Pitt really in that movie? I barely remember his scenes. From what I recall the supporting actors did all of the heavy lifting.
I recently re-watched it. While you're correct that the supporting actors did all the heavy lifting and the the Basterds themselves are a more of secondary story, Pitt does give an excellent performance whenever he is in the movie.

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
Your sister's underwear drawer

He already played Steve McQueen in a commercial. And beyond that he gets a lifetime pass from me for BAND OF BROTHERS.

DREAMCATCHER is one of the worst movies of all time.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
I didn't even realize that Jonesy was Damien Lewis until you mentioned Dreamcatcher. And yes, it was one truly shit movie.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
He already played Steve McQueen in a commercial. And beyond that he gets a lifetime pass from me for BAND OF BROTHERS.

DREAMCATCHER is one of the worst movies of all time.
I didn't even realize that Jonesy was Damien Lewis until you mentioned Dreamcatcher. And yes, it was one truly shit movie.
He looks like shit now though

Radioguy

Aug 25, 2002
NYC
I recently re-watched it. While you're correct that the supporting actors did all the heavy lifting and the the Basterds themselves are a more of secondary story, Pitt does give an excellent performance whenever he is in the movie.
The accent is atrocious. It's meant to be a farcical caricature, but that doesn't save it from embarrassingly bad it is.

He already played Steve McQueen in a commercial.
Link? Not seen that.

Radioguy

Aug 25, 2002
NYC
He recreated the motorcycle jump from THE GREAT ESCAPE. Probably for an aftershave commercial or some shit.
All I know is the Jaguar commercial. Not seeing what you mean...unless it's that Colditz remake.

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
Brad Pitt looks like Robert Redford in Spy Game in that picture.