OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

onDemand Issue

Discussion in 'Wackbag Tech Support' started by Douche McGee, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Douche McGee

I have Cox (not sure if that matters) for my cable and for a little while now, the onDemand has not been working. It always comes up saying the the program cannot be accessed at this time. I had a tech come out on Monday and my wife said the guy showed her that it was working and it stopped working by the time I got home from work. Do you guys know any fixes that I can do or do I have to call and complain to the shitty company?

2. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

If you've got a lot of splitters on your connections that'll weaken your signal enough to where it'll mess things up.

3. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Infidel and White Interloper
    Wackbag Staff

Used to have that problem with Comcast. Those fucks never were able to fix it. I fixed it by getting FIOS.

They tried redoing splices, replacing the cable box, etc, etc. None of it did shit.

Splitters (wrong kind and/or too many) can be a problem. Crappy cabling can be a problem. Or, the problem could be outside your house.

4. gorram

gorram ;)

Since it is a cable problem keep calling them and in the event they cant fix it you can plead for a discount on your bill, use directv as your leverage maybe you can get a free premium out of this. Outside of unplugging the power cable and rebooting the box is about all you can do from your end assuming you dont have a wiring problem. If ondemand does not work after a fresh reboot then it could still be a bad box or bad on server side. Unless you have a dvr full of stuff you want to watch just get the box swapped out.

When the tech came did he use the same ondemand channel that you were trying to watch? What if you try at the same time in the day that he did, maybe its a primetime thing and the server is too busy.

As far as your wiring does your cable lineup still have a good number of analog channels, try hooking it up with the same line to your tv and if all the analog channels look ok your wiring is probably good. For weak signal, bad connectors and splitters it should show up somewhere in the analog cable band. The digital channels can mask marginal problems and hide minor flaws that are blatantly obvious on analog. Check chs 5, 6 and then whatever the highest channels are in particular.

5. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

I had that exact problem. I decided to wire my entire house for cable including my basement. Called Comcast, got a free signal booster, everything works like a charm.

All of this. You are having a problem with their service, Id be on the phone with customer service daily until the problem was fixed.

6. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Been here for 5 years... on third DVR... wish I could buy a new one rather then get one of their shitty refurbs everytime it dies.

You could call the company and have them refresh it from their end... at least Time Warner and Comcast could do it... dunno about Cox.

Counting the days until I can get FIOS here... it's in NH... and working its way north apparently.

7. Douche McGee

They tried that but weren't getting a signal, that's why the tech came out and "fixed" it. I only have one split in the cable from the living room to my bedroom that was done by the installer when I moved into my house. The only reason it bothers me is because it used to work. The channels on my other TV all look fine from 3-55. I'll probably just call and bitch until I get money off. I don't give a shit about premium channels and even if they do comp me one for a few months, it'll be my responsibility to cancel them or I'll get billed in 3 months.

8. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 In The Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

When I had Comshit I had the same problem.

It was the box. They tried to tell me it was connections
    and they fixed it but it kept happening.

I switched rooms and the problem followed the box.
    Bitched to cust service and they gave me a new one.

Problem solved.

It got even better when I switched to Fios. Fuck Comcunt.

9. Douche McGee

And for literally no reason it started working again a couple days ago.

10. Ballbuster1

Wackbag Staff

If you haven't changed the box then I'll still bet it's the problem.

11. fletcher

Donator

I recently had an ordeal with Comcast. I got no reception to my cable box/modem that were at the other end of where the cable came into the house. The wiring was a shit job done by my then teenage brother and I and worked without a problem for years. Had a guy out 2 Mondays ago and he did all sorts of shit to try to fix the problem and everything was seemingly working when he left but I lost reception once again in my bedroom. Just today the reception mysteriously came back and the modem was getting no reception, moved it back into my bedroom and everything is working fine again. Either I am a magician or they are just messing with the signal.

12. gorram

gorram ;)

Maybe you have a nail or tack digging into the cable which can sometimes be bad intermittent like walking near or bumping a certain spot releases the bite. This is very common for people when they tuck it under the carpet and lay it right across the tack strip for the carpet. If it works in another part of the house then that makes you think cableco are getting signal good to the house. If they were working on it I would assume they replaced the connectors or maybe the splitter that feeds the lines. Do you know if you have one splitter for everything or are there multiple splitters. With a modem or a set top box you can fix many issues because of unplugging/replugging power.

Douche McGee's issue could very well be server side but could also be the box.

13. fletcher

Donator

Nope, it comes into the front of my house, splits up into the attic/crawlspace (ranch style home) and runs back to the master bedroom before splitting again to my bedroom at the back of the house. We had an amp that took care of the signal degradation issue that happened when we ran cable into my basement but the signal just stopped working for some reason. Nothing is run under carpet, nothing damaged in the crawlspace. It just stopped working and then started working again. Im not going to complain.

14. Douche McGee

I'm sure you're right, but there is nothing more aggravating to me than having to call a customer service line. The automated steps at the beginning that I assume are supposed to help the person you eventually talk to do nothing. Every time I've had to make a change to my car insurance I give all of my information to the robot to have the operator ask for it again. I had a question about my dental insurance and it was the same thing. I call the cable company and they ask for my 4 digit pin or the last 4 of my social and I give it to the robot and have the "technician" ask for it again. I understand that they don't want unauthorized people making changes but do they think that I got knocked out in the middle of the call and some prankster is going to continue and add all the premiums to my plan?

15. Ballbuster1

Wackbag Staff

Cox doesn't have local offices? When I had problems with Comcast I
    could just take the box to the local office and they would exchange it.

They needed to send a tech out if they felt the wiring was at fault but
    if I called and told them the box was just cutting out they had no problem
    with me just bringing it in and swapping it out.

16. Douche McGee

They do, but they're only until 5, and I would have to rush around after work to maybe make it there in time. Also, the last time I switched a box, I had to wait an hour for them to activate it. It also bugged me because the reason I swapped it was because I got an HDTV and the box I had wouldn't show HD channels (except for the local channels). So I do the run around to get a new box and they gave me the exact same type of box. They just block off the HD channels so they can charge you the extra dollar/month and say they still have Free HD. I knew I could get the HD channels with the old box because I was watching NBC in HD. Fucking aggravating.