One more nail in the K-Rock coffin

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
101.9 has gone to a rock format.

http://www.1019rxp.com/

Here's their first dozen songs:

The Velvet Underground - Rock And Roll
R.E.M. - Supernatural Superserious
Elvis Costello - Pump It Up
Tom Petty - Mary Jane's Last Dance
Blondie - Call Me
The Bravery - Believe
Bruce Springsteen - Blinded By The Light
The Flaming Lips - Do You Realize
U2 - Angel Of Harlem
Nickelback - Rockstar
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Zephyr Song
The Black Crowes - Hard To Handle

Whether you like this music better than 92.3 or not, it's still competition for much of the same audience. K-Rock can't get much lower in the ratings and survive. :icon_mad:

peewee

Aug 10, 2003
NY
this could be a good thing as long as o&a's ratings don't drop. maybe krock would be willing to have ron and fez on during the evenings again since their ratings were on the way up, right before the format switch.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Because Elvis Costello and the Flaming Lips = ratings :icon_roll

change the playlist to all Nickelback and Chili Peppers and K-Rock would have real competition.

however, the only way to get ratings is to cater to demos of people who don't use ipods (spanish and urban)

kevtv

Resident Music Nerd
May 31, 2004
maybe if k-rock updated their fucking playlist that seems to have "1995" still written at the top, they might have a shot at being relevant. they are digging their own grave.

peewee

Aug 10, 2003
NY
change the playlist to all Nickelback and Chili Peppers and K-Rock would have real competition.

however, the only way to get ratings is to cater to demos of people who don't use ipods (spanish and urban)
x2. with krocks playlist it would be easy to beat them. hell if i put my ipod on shuffle and broadcasted it i would kick the shit out of krock, but thats not saying much.

Mar 15, 2004
New Jersey
Because Elvis Costello and the Flaming Lips = ratings :icon_roll

But they can easily steal them.

Mar 15, 2004
New Jersey
maybe if k-rock updated their fucking playlist that seems to have "1995" still written at the top, they might have a shot at being relevant. they are digging their own grave.
This has been a problem I have had with them SINCE 1995. Just a bad all around rock station.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
You have to get to the 11th place station in the largest market in the USA to find a music station that white men listen to.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
this is the old CD101.9?? (grocery store jazz) Awesome. That station was fucking abysmal.. and a couple of people I drive with to work love it. THANK GOD that shit is gone! Gives me a reason to look forward to the morning.

Earth2murf

HATES EVERYONE!!!
Apr 2, 2005
Rotten County NY
its still seems like the same shit radio music as everyother station...Thats why i listen to 89.1 and 90.7 those college/folk/blues/county stations.

Max Johnson

Oct 14, 2004
I think the blacks are fully up on the ipods but the thing is that they share a brain more than the whites do. They tend to like the same stuff. If you tell me that you have a black guy between the ages of 20 and 30, I'm going to be much more confident in saying that he likes rap/hip hop as his favorite music than the same example with a white guy. Hence their radio stations don't tend to be as eclectic. In today's corporate dominated monopolies, when you get a bunch of people voting (with their ears, wallets, ...) for the same thing, no matter how stupid it is, that thing gets promoted.

Pat Battler

Aug 19, 2005
Pretentious shit radio. The jock was talking about how records sound so much better than CDs, and how he was so excited when he bought his first Iggy Pop record. Fucking die.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Better playlist, for the most part (boo Nickelback), than K-Rock.

Pretentious shit radio. The jock was talking about how records sound so much better than CDs
Don't they?

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
that's pretty cool, although my ipod isn't nervous.
QFT. Although I think its cool, that at the moment there are 3 rock stations in NYC, I'm still not going to listen to any of them. I think the only way I would even consider it, was if one of them had a heavy rotation of metal music.

Max Johnson

Oct 14, 2004
Pretentious shit radio. The jock was talking about how records sound so much better than CDs, and how he was so excited when he bought his first Iggy Pop record. Fucking die.
Yeah cause Iggy Pop is all about sound quality.

FellowTraveler

Frank Reynolds is my hero
Jul 24, 2005
am i the only one that read that as one more nail in the e-rock coffin?