Only about a year til your Analog TV dies

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Bad news: In a little more than a year all analog TV's will become obsolete.
Good news: FREE GOVERNMENT STUFF!

The only way I can see this affecting me is my little 2.2" portable color TV that I take to sporting events will become obsolete. Haven't used it in a couple years since I can stream my cable via a Slingbox to my PocketPC phone if I want. I don't have a local football team out here and baseball games are rarely on local channels anyway.

The government's giving away free coupons for the converter boxes you'll need if you don't have cable or satellite:

http://www.dtv2009.gov
DO NOT go to dtv2009.gov.com or dtv2009.com. Possible phishing sites.

Is anyone here still not forking out huge amounts of dollars to cable or satellite companies? According to Nielson's Ratings, 13% of people still rely on over the air TV programming.

What is the digital television transition?
At midnight on February 17, 2009, all full-power television stations in the United States will stop broadcasting in analog and switch to 100% digital broadcasting. Digital broadcasting promises to provide a clearer picture and more programming options and will free up airwaves for use by emergency responders.
What is the TV Converter Box Coupon Program?

Congress created the TV Converter Box Coupon Program for households wishing to keep using their analog TV sets after February 17, 2009. The Program allows U.S. households to obtain up to two coupons, each worth $40, that can be applied toward the cost of eligible converter boxes.

A TV connected to cable, satellite or other pay TV service does not require a TV converter box from this program.
Consumers have a variety of options. Options to explore include:

1. Keep your existing analog TV and purchase a TV converter box. A converter box plugs into your TV and will keep it working after Feb. 17, 2009, or
2. Connect to cable, satellite or other pay service, or
3. Purchase a television with a digital tuner.

Have more questions? Visit our FAQs for more information!

Not sure if you need a Converter Box? Click N

blee

Will Drink Today
Dec 9, 2004
western ny
Ha ha jokes on you, mine died today.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
huh, i guess im going to have a stack of old TV's to blow up now

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
I keep hearing about this but I'm not quite grasping it. I've got an RCA which is about 8 years old. It's hooked up to cable. We've also got a 9" b&w TV at the church office that isn't hooked up to anything. My TV at home will be okay, but the old ladies at the church won't be able to watch their soap operas on their breaks...am I correct? I don't have the $$ right now to buy a new TV for the house, so I'm hoping that I am.

Razor Roman

MJMandalayForPresident2024
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
OK... here's the deal.

TV Broadcasts that have been around since the days of Filo Farnsworth and Uncle Milty are ANALOG signals.

New HDTV and other channels available over the air are DIGITAL signals.

Right now the main networks (in NYC 2, 4, 5, 7, 11, and 13) are broadcasting on both DIGITAL and ANALOG.

To free up the frequencies used by the analog broadcasts, the FCC is requiring them to go away next year.

So, if you use an antenna to get your TV, the channels that your analog TV picks up will be GONE in 2009.

The new box will pick up the digital signals, and convert them to an analog video signal your old TV can understand.

If you have cable TV, think about it like the difference between analog cable and digital cable --- every TV in your house can get the Analog cable channels... but to get the digital ones you need a box, so TV's without the box don't get all the channels.

If you are using DirecTV, all the channels are sent digitally to your satellite box. If you have cable, the cable companies can continue (and probably will for a while) to keep certain channels analog (since its running on their own private cable wires and not in the public broadcast spectrum it doesn't matter)

Therefore, you only need to worry about this at all if you use bunny ears to get your TV.

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
OK... here's the deal.

TV Broadcasts that have been around since the days of Filo Farnsworth and Uncle Milty are ANALOG signals.

New HDTV and other channels available over the air are DIGITAL signals.

Right now the main networks (in NYC 2, 4, 5, 7, 11, and 13) are broadcasting on both DIGITAL and ANALOG.

To free up the frequencies used by the analog broadcasts, the FCC is requiring them to go away next year.

So, if you use an antenna to get your TV, the channels that your analog TV picks up will be GONE in 2009.

The new box will pick up the digital signals, and convert them to an analog video signal your old TV can understand.

If you have cable TV, think about it like the difference between analog cable and digital cable --- every TV in your house can get the Analog cable channels... but to get the digital ones you need a box, so TV's without the box don't get all the channels.

If you are using DirecTV, all the channels are sent digitally to your satellite box. If you have cable, the cable companies can continue (and probably will for a while) to keep certain channels analog (since its running on their own private cable wires and not in the public broadcast spectrum it doesn't matter)

Therefore, you only need to worry about this at all if you use bunny ears to get your TV.
:yawn2:

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
wait, I'm still lost. I have cable, the TV i watch it on does NOT Have a box though, just the standard analog cable. There are two TVs in the house with the digital boxes though. Will I need to do anything with my TV? "whaa"

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
wait, I'm still lost. I have cable, the TV i watch it on does NOT Have a box though, just the standard analog cable. There are two TVs in the house with the digital boxes though. Will I need to do anything with my TV? "whaa"
:huh:

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
if you have cable or satellite you will be ok, they will try to work with you to keep you as a customer by getting you the adapter. i have some friends who just got cable for the first time in mid 2007. all that's over the air around here is mostly wetbaxican stuff.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Basically it boils down to this: If you are planning on using rabbit ears or an outdoor antenna on your roof in 2009 you will need the adapter. If you register on the government's site, you can get up to two coupons for $40 off the converter box which will pick up the new digital over-the-air signal and convert it to analog. $40 off of a converter box that's supposed to retail for around $50-$75 helps all the po' folk still get their shows on their older TV's.

The coupons are on a first come, first served basis so I ordered two (the max) and will buy the boxes when they become available. I think it makes good sense to have them around in case of a natural disaster or God forbid a terrorist attack. I'll just keep them in my concealment point along with my other ICE toys.

Not being paranoid, just being proactive a la Anthony.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
We have got digital cable on every TV in the house. But, my grandmother has some kind of cheeseball apartment cable system that is analog. When she moved in, that was the only option. You had to get their shitty cable system. But now, things are different. I told her about the new FCC ruling that strikes down those sweetheart deals between apartment building owners and cable companies and that she can get Comcast (and probably Verizon) now. Hopefully she'll remember to bring it up at their next tenants meeting.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Basically it boils down to this: If you are planning on using rabbit ears or an outdoor antenna on your roof in 2009 you will need the adapter. If you register on the government's site, you can get up to two coupons for $40 off the converter box which will pick up the new digital over-the-air signal and convert it to analog. $40 off of a converter box that's supposed to retail for around $50-$75 helps all the po' folk still get their shows on their older TV's.

The coupons are on a first come, first served basis so I ordered two (the max) and will buy the boxes when they become available. I think it makes good sense to have them around in case of a natural disaster or God forbid a terrorist attack. I'll just keep them in my concealment point along with my other ICE toys.

Not being paranoid, just being proactive a la Anthony.
i was thinking the same thing, but..... in the event of a real problem i would have to assume that there going to broadcast in all bands. usualy around that 86mhz in both analog and digital...... but since im buying a new TV shortly that will have a digital tuner then im not two worried about it, what would be cool is to set up an old tv and set it to scan the dial and see what comes in. what's going to piss me off is when the cable company's end there analog signal, i like to have a few extra tv's around the house to watch the news on so i just screw the cable into the back of them and watch the local stuff, we have a local staton that broadcasts in all bands, except CB and even then i think you can pick it up. i got a kick out of it the first time i heard it on my scanner, i thought i was crazy